Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

Today I thought I'd do some plasticard modelling and make a start on building another pair of footbridge stairways. As part of the compression/compromise I decided on two through platforms (instead of three) that, with the outside passing loop, would still mean five tracks (along with no end of terminating lines) and promptly built the necessary stairs (as well as the interconnecting footbridge):

DSC_9296.JPG.8a784108a047bf9098e2e8a062cffe16.JPG

However, in my haste I forgot about the lower level 'dock' platform that is sandwiched between the trainshed wall and the higher level through lines so I need another set of stairs for that. The stairs above were built some time ago and will have to serve as a model/blueprint for making another set along with memory. I just hope I've got the necessary styrene strip and plasticard.

Here's a fairly modern (although before the recent station rebuilding) photo I took of the stairs from platform 6. It is slightly different from the others in that they interface with a smaller section of the footbridge as can be seen in the second pic below of the station during reconstruction.

DSC_1503cr.jpg.45465149c344cd2917ef80223c9e931b.jpg

imgcr.jpg.f7d5e3ede10bb05598bf170c67bab51c.jpg

• Like 11

We're up and running. I haven't bothered with the top flight of stairs or midway landing (the same as with the first two sets) as there is no way that they'll be seen with the roofs on:

DSC_9297.JPG.623abb3bbbdef2cf32d47573838cc8da.JPG

• Like 3

I decided not to bother with the internal details (that I'd fitted to the other stairways) like handrails and internal wall struts as these structures will be located lower and behind the trainshed wall and roof. Snag is that despite quite a collection of styrene strip packs I don't appear to have the ones necessary for the roof coping and tile edging. If I'm not able to cut them from sheet (assuming I have the right thicknesses) then I'll have to wait until I can get some which might be sometime.

DSC_9300.JPG.266e596face1a448e7a10b115b4fc99b.JPG

• Like 6

This is about as far as I can go (for now). The only thing missing (that is on the other older stairway models) is the raised ridge on top of the tiled section (just represented on the model by smooth plastic sheet) before the siding cladding. I need some appropriately sized styrene strip for that. The coping on the top of the siding was made by cutting thin strips from plasticard sheet.:

DSC_9301.JPG.e847e34655f5ff9d15ad657ddfc0a502.JPG

• Like 7

I quite like this picture. It's representative of how I'm hoping to recreate LB station. It was probably taken early 90's - there's a NSE unit on the left, class 319s were introduced in 88 (but when was the Connex livery introduced?), the footbridge siding is a dark grey (it, and the brown tiles, were painted white with privatisation), both New London Bridge House and Southwark Towers (later replaced by the Shard) can be seen, and there's a good view along the platform and of the canopies.

rail01.jpg.bd447d66a63e17980f570dfbfd81f0ba.jpg 

Edited by grahame
  • Like 4

This is how the footbridge looks so far with the various bits roughly put together. The thinner sloping section is obviously not finished and will change from the slope angle to horizontal at the 'dock' stairway and then go through the trainshed wall:

DSC_9305.JPG.d09c5af3af22e0b6af123c76cc111038.JPG

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes, please do continue with your style of presenting your excellent modelling.

There is much to be admired and learnt from how you approach making each building, and the level of detail you achieve in 2mm is very impressive. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's another interesting pic of the 'dock' platforms taken in 2004. A DEMU thumper is in platform 8 (by then I think platform 7 no longer existed) up against the trainshed wall. The footbridge can just be seen above the open door and slightly right, while at the top of the picture Southwark Towers and New London Bridge House still existed. The lampposts are still in NSE red and the clackity-clack clock is still in position :

800px-205033_London_Bridge_station.jpg.7b5f32f84cc9d5a1a8993bfbe39aaf73.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 37403 said:

How did you make the actual stairs? I've always struggled with this part

They're a plastic moulding from 4D model shop. The sheets are small and difficult to cut, and supposedly 1:200 scale, but look acceptably okay for N gauge 1:148.

Not much modelling today, just making the footbridge walkway section that goes through the trainshed wall. It was quite fiddly as there is an angle turn horizontally and also vertically to meet the longer section from the higher level that drops at an angle. That section (the longer bit right) just plugs-in (a push fit) so that it can be fettled (length and approach angle) if necessary later.

DSC_9306.JPG.36b361a55e13303b6a00f2649aba9351.JPG

• Like 8

A change today from plasticard modelling to some cardboard engineering. This morning I've made the structure (below) wholly from mountboard. Obviously it is early days yet with much to be done, but can you tell what it is yet?

DSC_9308.JPG.3c465defab3470da286eb45777d050ab.JPG

• Like 4

I'm hoping that it looks a bit like (or will at least be representative of when finished and painted) the Joiner Street entrance under the station forecourt between Fielden House and Southwark Towers. For compression the upper level, that extends past the entrance to ST and to where the footbridge over St Thomas Street was installed, is thinner than it should be. But then it's not an accurate scale replica and I've needed to take some liberties. 

Compare.jpg.d36f29acdc622579d682f08e42b6c40d.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've made a start on the Southwark Towers entrance, roughly based on one photo I have of it, prior to the later green curved glass entrance, and a bit of guesswork. Plus I've also knocked up the flower/shrub bed out the front. It all looks a bit plain and rough at the moment but hopefully with some more effort and modelling it'll start looking the part:

DSC_9328.JPG.7f76e04b1c8781f066cebd4232952cb2.JPG

• Like 5

I've started adding some colour and detail to the entrance frontage. I'm not sure about those two big panels, probably some sort of decorative effort, but believe me they were there in 1975 according to a very grainy fuzzy photo I have. However, the photo does seem to show the whole area as being more complex and open, but I've significantly simplified it and have to bear in mind that the Southwark Tower model is solid.

I'll probably make some effort to bash and fit the forecourt area support columns as they should help bring some balance to it. And, no doubt adding glazing will help although I tend to leave that until last.

DSC_9335.JPG.a6fe43648074fd0dd328a68bc34e834f.JPG

• Like 5

One thing I've found important in scratch-building on the hoof (particularly where subassemblies are made and there are no plans) is to continually check and double check how things are progressing for fit, scale and overall look to make sure it is how you want.

So I've checked the entrance/forecourt assembly against the building. There was a slight discrepancy in levels/horizontals which I've rectified - so much easier than later when everything is complete. And I'm relatively happy with the way it looks and anchors the bottom of the tower block (at least from this angle) but it does give an indication of just how much there is to do on this building (and there is another high rise one as well):

DSC_9336.JPG.14db98b8b9a5676a833609257599ac79.JPG

Edited by grahame
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

A change of tack again this afternoon - and back to the station footbridge. I've spent a little time and effort adapting the master for the panel cladding to be suitable for the narrower sloping section. I'll now be able to cast copies for the model, although I need to make a RTV silicon mould first and that'll need some fresh chemicals. I'll see if it is possible to mail order them at this current time:

DSC_9343.JPG.ce02063c360dc02ad32e30a31762ff98.JPG

• Like 5

My order for casting chemicals was accepted and this afternoon I've had an email to say it has been dispatched. I'm quite surprised, so I've also placed an order with Shapeways for a couple of 3D printed vehicles. Coming overseas from Europe will be a test although the chemicals do come from NI.

Otherwise no modelling to report today.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've been trying to do some research on a block (mainly shops) in Tooley Street between Aston Webb House and the Fire Station but have not been able to find anything for the period. This is the block in question:

Overview.jpg.0001ead253fc4fdc8f02e81e75d8bd9d.jpg

It has been replaced with a large modern Tesco Metro store so Google maps is no good.

• Friendly/supportive 1