Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

My, you do like giving yourself a challenge! Beautiful precision work as usual. Glazing is always a tricky bit, especially on complex architecture like this.

I'm trying to make it look roughly like the real building and capture the style and character rather than being an accurate detailed replica. After all it will be at the back of the layout behind the railway viaduct and partially obscured by Colechurch House. But I'm please with how it's turning out. Just fingers crossed I'm able to finish it and do the real building justice - after all it's quite a stunning piece of art-deco design and apparently the interior also reflects that style:  http://reeddesign.co.uk/wordpress/2012/07/09/st-olaf-house/  

G. 

• RMweb Gold

Apparently in 1979 the lettering over the loading/unloading entrance read 'Hay's Wharf Head Offices' rather than the current 'St Olaf House' (the sign over the doorway on the right was 'St Olaf House' as it still is). Presumably the large lettering changed when the building became part of the private London Bridge Hospital, but does anyone know when it happened?

http://reeddesign.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/02.jpg

G.

The hospital has an online history book of its various buildings. The page with its acquisition of St. Olaf's House in 2005 is here http://www.londonbridgehospital.com/flipbooks/londonbridgehospitalhistory/#13/z  How long before that the old name was removed .....?

Edited by phil_sutters

It probably doesn't look like much has been done since the last snap but I've managed to get the tricky raised sills on the bays and infill the angular feature to the sides of the bottom bay (although it is difficult to see in the snap). The corner angular fillets that take the square bottom section to a rounded profile are something I'm thinking about now. Then the little turrets need finishing off and the main structure will be basically complete.

135021.jpg

G.

• Like 1

The hospital has an online history book of its various buildings. The page with its acquisition of St. Olaf's House in 2005 is here http://www.londonbridgehospital.com/flipbooks/londonbridgehospitalhistory/#13/z  How long before that the old name was removed .....?

Thanks. That's a handy reference book - it says that London Bridge Hospital didn't acquire St Olaf House until 2005 so presumably the old Hay's Wharf Head Offices sign was still on it until then (unless anyone knows better). That means I'll go with the original name which is a blow as it's a lot more individual letters . . . . .

G

Turrets completed and some detail around the top floor windows added this morning. It's obviously simplified so doesn't stand up to close scrutiny and comparison, but hopefully it looks something like the real St Olaf House. Just some tidying up and the transition from square corner to round section at the top of the ground floor to be sorted and then it's basically ready for painting and then glazing and adding details (not that there is much). I've given it a dusting of white primer to help spot areas that need touching up: 

112846.jpg

G.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. That's a handy reference book - it says that London Bridge Hospital didn't acquire St Olaf House until 2005 so presumably the old Hay's Wharf Head Offices sign was still on it until then (unless anyone knows better). That means I'll go with the original name which is a blow as it's a lot more individual letters . . . . .

G

The lettering looks like something that 3D printing would do nicely - if it didn't cost the earth.

I've found the following reference - https://knowyourlondon.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/tooley-street-flashback-01/ - that seems to imply the signage was changed between 1975 and 1980 so perhaps I can use the 'St Olaf House' name after all. Phew.

In the meantime I've managed to sort out the corner triangular fillets which completes the basic structure, and given it a coat of primer and a top coat of white. That means I can start on the gutty job of making the windows and glazing (once the finish is completed - matting down and perhaps adding some weathering). 

131237.jpg

G.

• Like 7

I've found the following reference - https://knowyourlondon.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/tooley-street-flashback-01/ - that seems to imply the signage was changed between 1975 and 1980 so perhaps I can use the 'St Olaf House' name after all. Phew.

In the meantime I've managed to sort out the corner triangular fillets which completes the basic structure, and given it a coat of primer and a top coat of white. That means I can start on the gutty job of making the windows and glazing (once the finish is completed - matting down and perhaps adding some weathering). 

131237.jpg

G.

How did you do the corner fillets in the end?

Carl

How did you do the corner fillets in the end?

Carl

Thanks for your interest.

I cut triangular shaped pieces of plasticard to act as the corner edge profile and as a height gauge of the corner fillet. These were glue in place vertically at the corner edges then each side of the triangle was thickened up with a mix of superglue and model filler (Molak putty). When dry they were carved and filed to shape, given a coat of primer and painted. Hope that explains it and you get the gist.

G.

• Like 2

Andy has suggested that I write an article for BRM about urban modelling http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119329-brm-march-free-credit-card-size-magnifying-card-free-dvd/page-3&do=findComment&comment=2606944

What do readers of this thread think? Would it be of interest to see it in a magazine and is there anything that you could contribute or think ought to be covered?

G.

It would be great to see a magazine article about urban modelling. In many ways I find it harder to model convincing urban settings and buildings. I'm a big fan of this thread and your layouts, be good to see some more in print.

Steve

Definitely Grahame:

"Urban: in, relating to, or characteristic of a town or city."

I think what may be useful to (unititiated) interested parties is a guide to those differences that separate for instance inner-city (or town) , compared to outer suburbs , and all that sits in between.

For instance, traditionally inner city buildings tend to be older and more cramped / outer tends to be new development. Although depending on period and planning laws prevalent at the time.

In more recent years many inner cities have been rebuilt / the middle suburbs gentrified / the outer suburbs became the more old-fashioned.

The other key is period - road markings and advertising (controls or not) for instance. TV arials / satellie dishes or not? Lovely front gardens, or concreted over for car parking?

Ultimately it's all down to the modeller taking inspiration from a particular location / period photos / (or a hybrid) and using observation and research to hone their focus on that which they think will be useful.

One other aspect to consider: Irrespective of whether one is modelling 1930 / 1960 or 1990 - it's worth remembering that for whatever decade is being represented, usually a residue of the past ten or twenty years was still evident at that time. IE. if modelling 1960, you'd still see a good proportion of cars / road markings / lineside installations from the previous ten or twenty years around the place.

---------------------------------

But then again ... I'm probably just teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs :)

Edited by Southernboy

Grahame

More great building work here: a worthy successor to Hedges Hill and Stoney Lane. Apart from the question of how you keep up with the availability of new and obscure modelling products (regularly demonstrated in the NGS Journal), what I'd be interested in is how you deal with selective compression. Do you build to a scale smaller than 1:148, omit bays etc., or a combination based on whatever looks right?

Jim

I'd be interested in is how you deal with selective compression. Do you build to a scale smaller than 1:148, omit bays etc., or a combination based on whatever looks right?

I don't scale everything down (there are some things that can't be made smaller) but selectively reduce the size of items and features and/or their number (although not the storeys) while trying to keep the overall dimensional relationships similar and any symmetry correct. I might leave out a column of windows to reduce the building length or reduce the gaps between them, but as you say it's a matter of what looks right and still resembles the prototype.

All of your windows line up precisely, how do you do that?!

I'm not sure if you mean the cut-outs/reveals of the apertures or the window frames/glazing behind. But actually neither are that precise. Again it's a matter of overall look rather than individual placement so they are often cut/added as a row, column or group to try and maintain that. Certainly for cutting out a row of windows I draw cutting guide marks right across the wall (you can see the pencil marks in some of the pics), place the steel edge to cut against along all of them and then cut all edges in that plane. 

HTH.

G

Edited by grahame

• 2 weeks later...

I've written the article and submitted it along with a host of pics. And the good news is that it's been accepted and pencilled in for the June issue. However, at just 4000 words including the picture captions, I was a bit surprised that it was thought to be too word heavy for BRM, so it will probably be somewhat edited down.

I did rather prefer the older BRM when it contained more in-depth reading material that you could get your teeth in to, rather than 'sound-bite' articles. But I guess that's modern progress for you - everything is brief and aimed at having many fast and quick experiences. Things often tend to be more about flashy style than substance these days - just look at modern passenger stock. Not even any care in the layout - the seats don't even line up with the windows. Apparently these days people prefer to look at their 'phones and play games rather than enjoying the experience and views. Shame it's also infiltrating our hobby.

G.    

• Like 1

I don't scale everything down (there are some things that can't be made smaller) but selectively reduce the size of items and features and/or their number (although not the storeys) while trying to keep the overall dimensional relationships similar and any symmetry correct. I might leave out a column of windows to reduce the building length or reduce the gaps between them, but as you say it's a matter of what looks right and still resembles the prototype.

I'm not sure if you mean the cut-outs/reveals of the apertures or the window frames/glazing behind. But actually neither are that precise. Again it's a matter of overall look rather than individual placement so they are often cut/added as a row, column or group to try and maintain that. Certainly for cutting out a row of windows I draw cutting guide marks right across the wall (you can see the pencil marks in some of the pics), place the steel edge to cut against along all of them and then cut all edges in that plane. 

HTH.

G

"But actually neither are that precise." Well you are being rather modest there, mate. They look very accurate to me. Any errors in a repeating pattern are liable to show up quite clearly and your models don't have them - they are a testament to great care and attention to detail.

Any building that involves lines of windows, either horizontally or vertically or both is going to need a degree of precision be it in N or O...

P1050091-2%20800%20x%20613_zpsp2n8fnze.j

...if it's going to avoid the problem. (this 7mm warehouse is a fiction - but based on a real building - I needed something big as a view blocker)

Chaz

apologies for the hi-jack!

Edited by chaz

• RMweb Premium

I've written the article and submitted it along with a host of pics. And the good news is that it's been accepted and pencilled in for the June issue. However, at just 4000 words including the picture captions, I was a bit surprised that it was thought to be too word heavy for BRM, so it will probably be somewhat edited down.

I did rather prefer the older BRM when it contained more in-depth reading material that you could get your teeth in to, rather than 'sound-bite' articles. But I guess that's modern progress for you - everything is brief and aimed at having many fast and quick experiences. Things often tend to be more about flashy style than substance these days - just look at modern passenger stock. Not even any care in the layout - the seats don't even line up with the windows. Apparently these days people prefer to look at their 'phones and play games rather than enjoying the experience and views. Shame it's also infiltrating our hobby.

G.    

Hi

That's the thing I miss from the articles in the modelling magazines the in depth how it was done. The new format with a series of pictures each with a small caption just doesn't do it for me and I'm finding less and less reasons to actually read the one modelling magazine I have on subscription.

Cheers

Paul

Apologies for the lack of updates on the buildings progress. I've been rather side tracked with work on NGS Journal 2/17 and attempting to finish some 3D printed cars (see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120165-3d-printed-road-vehicles/).Plus I've lost a little enthusiasm, but a trip up to town (London) later this week should help with providing some inspiration. And in the meantime I need to knuckle down to some spring cleaning.

G.

"But actually neither are that precise." Well you are being rather modest there, mate. They look very accurate to me. Any errors in a repeating pattern are liable to show up quite clearly and your models don't have them - they are a testament to great care and attention to detail.

Any building that involves lines of windows, either horizontally or vertically or both is going to need a degree of precision be it in N or O...

P1050091-2%20800%20x%20613_zpsp2n8fnze.j

...if it's going to avoid the problem. (this 7mm warehouse is a fiction - but based on a real building - I needed something big as a view blocker)

Chaz

apologies for the hi-jack!

I saw this at an exhibition (Farnham) and was really fascinated by the modelling - such a great use of a small space to create such an atmospheric scene - and the model making is top class. I also had a look at your Photobucket pictures and it revealed so much work behind the scenes to create this.

Oh and the guys on the stand seemed to be having fun operating it.

Thanks so much for exhibiting this model. It gave me a lot to go away and think about.

• 1 month later...

After a break from modelling buildings to concentrate on some road vehicles, I've now decided on what will be the next building to make. It's three shops in Boro High Street on the corner of London Bridge Street (that leads up to the station forecourt) and that have now been demolished to make way for the Thameslink bridge. This pic is taken in 2009 just before demolition, but I seem to recall that the Fish bar was previously a burger bar in the 1980s and possibly a Wimpy before that. Can anyone remember/confirm, and/or has suitable photos? :

081151.jpg

Pic above by Stephen Craven and licensed for re-use by Creative Commons Licence.

I've done some research to get an idea of the roofs (from an old version of Bing aerial/maps) and have sketched up a rough character drawing to work from. Next is to work out the dimensions. It will then be built using my current style of a card framework clad with plasticard and/or redutex.

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 2

I saw this at an exhibition (Farnham) and was really fascinated by the modelling - such a great use of a small space to create such an atmospheric scene - and the model making is top class. I also had a look at your Photobucket pictures and it revealed so much work behind the scenes to create this.

Oh and the guys on the stand seemed to be having fun operating it.

Thanks so much for exhibiting this model. It gave me a lot to go away and think about.

Thanks very much for those comments - much appreciated. We do try to enjoy our stint at shows - I'm sure you have noticed the link below to my topic on Dock Green?

Apologies to Grahame for this blatant veer off-topic!

Chaz

• Like 1

Here's a couple of my character sketches to get an idea of shape and size relationships. The site is a little tricky with it sloping up from the feature curved burger bar shop corner along London Bridge Street and down along Boro High Street.

092027.jpg

I'm hoping to be able to use some cast white metal feature window surrounds that I've had for many years although they may prove rather too large. You can see a few of them on the right hand side.

G.

• Like 2

A bit of measuring, calculation and laying out and it looks like I should be able to get away with using the cast surrounds. I've even got enough for the return side up along London Bridge Street. They are not exactly correct but filing the peak of the top row and adding curved and triangular pediments to the others should help them blend in and will save work in replicating them. 

135815.jpg

G.

• Like 1