Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

There's some wonderful period (60s and 70s) details in the pic that you no longer see. For example out the front of the Windsor pub (the set back building with cupola on the corner and 'Take Courage' sign) are two traditional telephone boxes and a traditional London pub sea food stall.

I never drank in the Windsor (it was keg only) but regularly used a pub in Pomeroy Street which is the last right hand turn at the top of the pic. The pub was called the Arrows and was previously the Brewery Tap for the New Cross Brewery whose trade mark was 7 arrows. The brewery has long gone and the pub is now in residential use.

• Like 1

Here's a little about the New Cross Brewery: http://breweryhistory.com/wiki/index.php?title=New_Cross_Brewery_Co._Ltd originally the Hatcham Brewery.  And also in Pomeroy Street was the Hatcham Iron Works which was the most important manufactory of railway locomotives in London from the 1840s to 1869 https://www.peckhamsociety.org.uk/?p=1103  

New_Cross_Brewery_Co.jpg.fd00ddfe5627cbf7e749b2c6b34a66de.jpg

• Like 2

Back to modelling?

I've noticed that the long, long awaited post '76 Warflat wagon kits from the NGS are now available. I've ordered three this morning  along with a 'modern' Warwell wagon kit. They should make a nice little modelling project (when they arrive) and form the basis of a military train.

I might order more if they go together well and look the part.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

A very welcome post delivery today. The NGS kits arrived (excellent service from a volunteer organisation) . . . .

DSC00431red.jpg.b01fc4c64331ebd88d6a117306a608d2.jpg

along with the 2mmSA magazine and the Camra 'Whats Brewing' newspaper. And no bills or unwelcome letters.

• Like 6

The Warflat kit is very impressive: Full instruction sheet (which is also on-line); injection moulded deck and solebars (in a green colour); cast metal underframe (for weight); one piece bogies (with coupler type and length choices); fine metal wheels; etched brass details and an extensive decal sheet.

DSC00434red.jpg.6994d6f10380f4e5fbea24efaf5dea43.jpg

The three cost me £11.50 each and with the Warwell wagon I also ordered the post and packing was just £1 per wagon - excellent value. I shall be building the three Warflats as a batch. But first some research to check out photos of the real things and what sort of loads I can add.

• Like 7

Are those etched retaining straps and chocks? If so, that's a really good idea.

I have a selection of Scimitar-family vehicles that I got from PG Models just before he closed down (no actual Scimitars yet: they're on my "to buy" list from the NGS) and not having to make these bits would be a great help!

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin
Changed "scorpion" to "scimitar", which was what I meant, although I suppose you could describe a scimitar as a "scorpion-family" vehicle

I've now opened and inspected the Warwell (with Gloucester bogies) kit I ordered and have received (see pic several posts above).

It's a lot more basic than the Warflat kit and doesn't include decals (unlike the Warflat). Also there's no etched details or cast metal parts to add weight - that'll probably have to be provided by incorporating a suitable load. And it's quite a bit more expensive.

I guess it's a matter of what you make of the kit. I've some etched brake wheels which I'll use to replace the plastic moulded ones supplied. And hope that the assembly and paint job will make it comparable with the Warflats.

• Like 2

The main body for the warflat is formed from just five parts -  two sole-bars, two buffer-beams and the deck. They do need a little fettling to fit together well (not that I've managed that) and I've also added the bogie pivot bush parts on the undersides:

DSC00445red.jpg.963b1d1a1ee9a234a256f6ee61453e8b.jpg

• Like 4

I've tried to get the Warwell to the same stage as the warflats. However, the joint between the sole-bars/sides and the deck is a 45-degree angle and the bevelled edges aren't particularly sharp and extend down the sloping sections making it difficult to ensure the deck is flat across the width and slopes. Despite judicious filing I found it tricky to get a good fit which meant I needed to add some filler and file smooth. I also gave it a light dusting of grey primer so that I could easily see the filing progress but it's far from perfect:

DSC_0118red.jpg.ca849ff99400c9a8af3ea86d978e9604.jpg

Anyway, that enough for today. Time for a bath.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 4

I've been raking around to see what suitable loads for the warwell/warflats I have and could use. And came up with these:

DSC_0115red.jpg.9b7683b381401a97c34a4476a4a6ad6b.jpg

On the Warwell is an Austin K2/Y ambulance built from a white metal kit. On the Warflat is a RTP ODC Land Rover and a Humber Pig built from a NGS resin kit. Front is a RTP M113A3 APC by Red Dragon.

Probably the Land Rover is most appropriate - maybe I should get a few more. Now done - four ordered.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 4

On 01/10/2020 at 11:06, grahame said:

I've now opened and inspected the Warwell (with Gloucester bogies) kit I ordered and have received (see pic several posts above).

It's a lot more basic than the Warflat kit and doesn't include decals (unlike the Warflat).

NGS shop ref NGST0501 covers the post-1976 Warwells for decals

Jim

• Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

NGS shop ref NGST0501 covers the post-1976 Warwells for decals

Jim

Yes, although there does seem to be an anomaly.

Apparently the Warwell kits used to include decals. In fact the instructions mention that, have a diagram as to where they should be fitted, and explain how to apply them; "cut the transfer from the sheet . . ."

The price appears not to have been adjusted when the decals stopped being packed with them. Now they are available again the Warwell plus decals (which have to be ordered separately) costs £18.05 whereas the Warflat is £12.10 and that includes decals (as well as being a higher spec kit with more parts and details).

• RMweb Premium

Have you checked out the vehicles by Gramodels? Being resin, they are a lot lighter than the metal ones.

These pewter vehicles from PG Models made for a very heavy load.

warflat_01.jpg.b936164b7fc1feef906b75d530641c8b.jpg

I started building these 15 years ago, on 2mm Scale Association bogies. Can't remember where the plastic wagon kits came from. I really should get on and complete them some day.

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded image
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As I swap back and forth between the Warflats and Warwell there is some slow progress on the Warwell. After quite a bit of fiddling and hacking, including cutting off and relocating new bogie pivot bushes, I think I've now got a working model. The wagon rolls and the bogies swivel without catching the jacks. And they're fitted with NEM coupler sockets:

DSC_0122red.jpg.fa207caf4f583b3546b0310370c24609.jpg

Next to sort is the buffers which need the moulded shanks on the buffer beam cutting off, drilling out and fitting complete new ones as supplied in the kit.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

I started building these 15 years ago, on 2mm Scale Association bogies. Can't remember where the plastic wagon kits came from. I really should get on and complete them some day.

Hi

I would guess Parkwood models which are now part of the NGS kit range. They originally came without bogies.

Cheers

Paul 

Edited by PaulCheffus
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, grahame said:

Yes, although there does seem to be an anomaly.

Apparently the Warwell kits used to include decals. In fact the instructions mention that, have a diagram as to where they should be fitted, and explain how to apply them; "cut the transfer from the sheet . . ."

The price appears not to have been adjusted when the decals stopped being packed with them. Now they are available again the Warwell plus decals (which have to be ordered separately) costs £18.05 whereas the Warflat is £12.10 and that includes decals (as well as being a higher spec kit with more parts and details).

Honestly, given what happened with the society shop a couple of years back, I'm just happy that it's functioning at all and has some desirable items in it. I take your point about the pricing, but I can think of numerous "anomalies" in the pricing of N-gauge items (why is the Farish class 158 still cost a fortune when it's so poor? Why is eBay full of second-hand stock that costs more than the same thing bought new from a retailer?) and I'm not stressing over this one. Since I switched my attention to the WCML in the North-West I'll be looking at several of both the Warwell and Warflat, because MoD traffic en route to and from Carlisle is a really big deal. To my mind, the surprising thing isn't how expensive the Warwell is, so much as how inexpensive the Warflat is.

Jim

• Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, grahame said:

there is some slow progress on the Warwell

What's happening in that photograph is not "slow progress". That's what I'd call "forging ahead at an astonishing pace". Looking good, too, although I think you need some different loads for your timeframe.

Jim

13 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

Honestly, given what happened with the society shop a couple of years back, I'm just happy that it's functioning at all and has some desirable items in it. I take your point about the pricing, but I can think of numerous "anomalies" in the pricing of N-gauge items (why is the Farish class 158 still cost a fortune when it's so poor? Why is eBay full of second-hand stock that costs more than the same thing bought new from a retailer?) and I'm not stressing over this one. Since I switched my attention to the WCML in the North-West I'll be looking at several of both the Warwell and Warflat, because MoD traffic en route to and from Carlisle is a really big deal. To my mind, the surprising thing isn't how expensive the Warwell is, so much as how inexpensive the Warflat is.

Jim

It's not so much the prices that are an issue (TBH the NGS kits are relatively cheap and good value and I don't feel priced out of RTR, even Farish) but the inconsistency of not including decals in all kits where they are available. And now that they've got them for the Warwell I'd have thought including them in the kit would be easier than having two product lines and members having to order two items for some kits. Plus of course it would be more in keeping and reflect the supplied assembly instructions.

But, yep, it's good the shop is working well now (the kits I ordered arrived less than a week later) and that the kit range is mostly now available with some interesting and desirable items. And that the range is continually expanding; with the recent acquisition of a number of ex-TPM kits, the release of the modern Warflat kit and the current development of the large load wagons. Plus of course the RTR range with the Hunslet due soon and the Ferrywagon next to be produced.

It's a good time to be NGS member.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

That's what I'd call "forging ahead at an astonishing pace". Looking good, too, although I think you need some different loads for your timeframe.

Jim

I think that having to fiddle about and bash the bogies and pivots slowed me down a bit.

And, yep, that why I said the Land Rovers were most appropriate and have ordered some more (only £4 each). Plus they're light so will be fine on the flats. I might look at some unusual machinery, possibly military in nature, for the well wagon that I'll probably need to make. I've seen pics with lorries, boilers and tank trailers on them. I'll need to do some more research.

Rail Express number 127 (December 2006) had a big article on military trains and formations. I imagine it's also in the "Train Formations" book they published a couple of years ago. I'm not certain if it lines up with your period though: the earliest train recorded is from 1980 and the earliest ones with any Warwells/flats in them are from 1984 (Class 33 with 8x Warwell carrying Saxon APCs) and 1985 (2xClass 20, OCA, VDA, VEA, 5x Warwell carrying Saracen APCs).

Jim

Another hint for suitable vehicles for these wagons -  Butler Printed Models - 3D printed military vehicles, very good price (£2.48 for a Scorpion) although not the best detail on the planet but more than good enough for a moving train and as they are 3D printed plastic they are very light so no top heavy troubles, 

Now those post 1976 Warflat wagon kits are out, I had better order some for my box of already painted Scorpions, scimitars and strikers.

Best wishes

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1