Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

The corner burger bar shop is now a separate plug in module, including the floor, internal walls and outer dwarf walls that the glazing will be fixed to, so I'll even be able to model and add the internal fitting like tables and chairs (if I fancy the effort later). The glazing will have the glazing bars attached, cut from self adhesive labels as usual, and will be glued in place after painting. Next is to tackle the middle newsagents/confectioners shop frontage.

160946.jpg

G.

• Like 1

I've used the old dodge or wheeze to simplify the modelling of shops - have one closed with security shutter roller blinds in place. It's probably in keeping for the area as well:

210156.jpg

G.

• Agree 1

Modelling work has slowed down as I tackle other pressing jobs like mowing the lawns, cleaning the kitchen and so on. However, I have got the recessed shop entrance for the right hand end shop completed, made the flank wall windows for the burger bar and an entrance step. Plus adding the first bit of paint as it's required before glazing the shop:

131105.jpg

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 3

I was out all day yesterday and with todays beautiful weather modelling isn't really on my mind or a priority. Plus I was trying to find out about a model van I picked up at a show yesterday morning: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121686-van-model/

However, I've started to get some paint on the building. I've chosen what I hope are dull, muted, matt colours to give a faded, run down, aged look. The shutter needs some graffiti and the shop signs need making and adding. Then there's the main brickwork and architectural features to paint. And weathering to consider, so plenty to keep me busy.

150113.jpg

G.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

I've managed to get the roof ridges on by cutting tube in half down its length and gluing in place. And I'm now thinking about the Burger bar on the corner and making some tables and chairs that will show through the windows. I might even 'dress' it as 'closing down' 

095925.jpg

I'm conscious of posting lots of pics showing just a little progress from the previous one and was also wondering whether that is the done thing or perhaps I should save up and post less regularly.

G.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I've managed to get the roof ridges on by cutting tube in half down its length and gluing in place. And I'm now thinking about the Burger bar on the corner and making some tables and chairs that will show through the windows. I might even 'dress' it as 'closing down' 

G.

Don't forget that a lot of burger bar seating was in fixed units with four seats around a table all on one frame. I had to source some sets for Southwark Council children's day units in the early '80s -  so I know!

Edited by phil_sutters

095925.jpg

I'm conscious of posting lots of pics showing just a little progress from the previous one and was also wondering whether that is the done thing or perhaps I should save up and post less regularly.

G.

I like all the post's you do as it shows how you do each stage.

Carl

Thanks for the feedback and comments.

I've undertaken a little more toning down of the walls to make the side more closely match the front although it probably wont be viewable on the layout.

141649.jpg

And I've knocked up some internal fittings for the burger bar. They are pretty small and fiddly:

081333.jpg

They now need a bit of paint and some posters/signs inside and on the windows.

G.

• Like 1

Hello,

The more updates the better, personally i tend to "read" the pictures (c'os i am an old fart now). The fact that this stuff is in N gauge is astounding, great stuff congrats.

Regards

Edited by GreenBR

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away on holiday and then working on the N Gauge Journal 3/17 (see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81640-ngs-journal/page-8 ) so there's been no progress and reports for a while. However, this afternoon I managed to get the burger bar almost effectively completed. Not much to show but here it is:

192047.jpg

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like my article has been published in the June issue of BRM. I've not seen it yet but presumably, based on what I wrote and supplied, includes examples from this thread. The front cover promotes it as an 'urban building masterclass', I hope it lives up to that billing.

I've not updated this thread for a while as I've been away on holiday and then had an Aussie relative to stay. But now things are clear so I hope to get back to some modelling.

G.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

What with modelling effort on some Cemflo wagons (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123247-bashing-a-cemflo-la-silver-queen/) and time putting together NGS Journal 4/17 (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81640-ngs-journal/page-8) this thread has unfortunately taken a bit of a back seat. However, I've recently added the windows although they need tidying up:

165619.jpg

G.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like my article has been published in the June issue of BRM. I've not seen it yet but presumably, based on what I wrote and supplied, includes examples from this thread. The front cover promotes it as an 'urban building masterclass', I hope it lives up to that billing.

I've not updated this thread for a while as I've been away on holiday and then had an Aussie relative to stay. But now things are clear so I hope to get back to some modelling.

G.

It was a clear and well presented article, with a lot of useful advice. It didn't explain how you manage not to slice off your finger-tips while cutting out all those windows.

I am not sure how many people would have realised how poignant the timing was, with the London Bridge and Borough Market attacks in our minds. 

What makes you think I didn't lacerate my fingers?  :no: 

There seems to be something wrong with the colour of the last photo. I've managed to track it down to the vivid setting on the camera (not sure how it got adjusted) but this looks a bit more accurate and hopefully better: 

111005.jpg

G

• Like 3

I dream of having your scratch building skills! I've never even attempted a scratch build, but it's something I'd love to get into. i don't know where to start, what equipment or materials I need, how to go about planning etc. so I don't think it's something I'll master anytime soon.

Outstanding work,

Matt

I think the next building project will be the Post Office, next to the shop block that I've just nearly finished, in Borough High Street. It's quite a strange looking tall and impressive building (neo-Georgian?) with a modern bright PO red single storey side entrance. It should make a good modelling challenge.

151310.jpg

And the building next to it looks interesting: 

151143.jpg

Next to undertake a little research and hopefully find what it they looked like 30 to 40 years ago.

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 2

I've never even attempted a scratch build, but it's something I'd love to get into. i don't know where to start, what equipment or materials I need, how to go about planning etc. so I don't think it's something I'll master anytime soon.

Scratch-building buildings is not inherently difficult and certainly a lot easier than scratch-building locos and rolling stock (especially in N/2mm).

The forthcoming issue of the N Gauge Journal has a number of making buildings articles that should help provide some assistance and advice : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81640-ngs-journal/page-8

If you're not a member then it would be worthwhile joining : http://newweb.ngaugesociety.com/?page_id=30 Then you can take advantage of the help and support it offers (Help Line, Area Groups, Handbook provided, regular Journal, etc.,) and perhaps obtain a booklet that I produced that should help you get started with making buildings: 

090730.jpg

G.

• Like 2

Next to undertake a little research and hopefully find what it they looked like 30 to 40 years ago.

Well, it's certainly been there a long time. It was built 1842-4 as a ward block of the original St Thomas hospital and is currently grade ll listed.

G.

I think the next building project will be the Post Office, next to the shop block that I've just nearly finished, in Borough High Street. It's quite a strange looking tall and impressive building (neo-Georgian?) with a modern bright PO red single storey side entrance. It should make a good modelling challenge.

151310.jpg

And the building next to it looks interesting: 

151143.jpg

G.

I assume that this photo: https://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk/view-item?i=55531&WINID=1498399605634 shows the buildings you're currently looking at? It looks like something was built across the frontage of the post office at that time (1966, according to the metadata shown on the page).

Jim

I assume that this photo: https://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk/view-item?i=55531&WINID=1498399605634 shows the buildings you're currently looking at? It looks like something was built across the frontage of the post office at that time (1966, according to the metadata shown on the page).

Jim

Yes, thanks. That's a great old photo.

That building (at 19 Boro High Street) in front of the PO had gone by the mid 70s. The building to the left of it was demolished about five years ago (which is the one I've just made) and the one on the far right (around the corner in St Thomas Street in front of the ward block) has also been replaced. Here's a photo taken from roughly from the same place last week. The tower in scaffolding is the old hospital operation theatre museum. Note that the shoe repairers on the corner is now a vaping shop - how times change :

151105.jpg

G

• Like 1

Scratch-building buildings is not inherently difficult and certainly a lot easier than scratch-building locos and rolling stock (especially in N/2mm).

The forthcoming issue of the N Gauge Journal has a number of making buildings articles that should help provide some assistance and advice : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81640-ngs-journal/page-8

If you're not a member then it would be worthwhile joining : http://newweb.ngaugesociety.com/?page_id=30 Then you can take advantage of the help and support it offers (Help Line, Area Groups, Handbook provided, regular Journal, etc.,) and perhaps obtain a booklet that I produced that should help you get started with making buildings: 

090730.jpg

G.

I'll have a cheeky look at it :)

Cheers,

Matt

The first step is to sketch up the buildings at full size to check they look and fit, and the compression isn't too out of kilter. I stood the paper sketches next to the (nearly) completed model where they will go to ensure the size and grouping looked okay. Next is to sort out the bottom slope and draw out the front elevation to full size accurately on card.

093658.jpg

G.