Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

• RMweb Gold

Ok Jonster my Spanish friend, I'll try explain;

Because I'm still a bit immature for my age. I'm on the boarder line in my life, where I still sometimes have enthusiasm for having a laugh.

I'm not bright enough to design real high speed trains, F1 cars or Jets. So putting the basics of those fields into action in silly cheap projects is as near to that fun as I'll get.

Occasionally I'll post update snippets on rmweb, in the vein hope that I might not be alone in the universe. There may just be someone out there who's a little like me to talk to. It's rubbish in life when you have things that you're really passionate about but there's nobody on earth to discuss it with who's on your wavelength.

Then after working on a few thousand serious models a year for over 14 years, I welcome a fun break from the norm once in a while.

As usual, even though it's 3:12 on a Sunday morning atm, I'm still 76 miles from home, working killer hours weathering huge never ending batches of locos and rolling stock. I do enough standard normal stuff to go mad. Surely it's not a sin to have a mess around and be different once in a while?

Of course it isn't, Dictator, and my response was intended to be humorous and not provocative.  If you are weathering stuff miles from home in the small wee hours you need a bit of a laught!  But I am now worried about this hostage situation...

Olivia's Trains, the Musical.

"I've repainted those DRS 37s Mr. Bishop, but I've run out of compass decals, can I have some more?"

"MORE!!? Chain him to the radiator Matron!"

(it probably doesn't work like that at Olivia's, and probably doesn't make much sense unless you've read the Olivia's thread either, but meh.)

C6T.

Olivia's Trains, the Musical.

"I've repainted those DRS 37s Mr. Bishop, but I've run out of compass decals, can I have some more?"

"MORE!!? Chain him to the radiator Matron!"

(it probably doesn't work like that at Olivia's, and probably doesn't make much sense unless you've read the Olivia's thread either, but meh.)

C6T.

Wow!!! Jonny Number 5, do your ramblings have anything to do with 'Model Train Speed Records'

If this was a round of 'Just a minute' Paul Merton would be frantically buzzing for deveation (-:

Or maybe I'm too dumb to get what's being said lol

(Awesome Profile pic btw!!!)

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone got a very very long 45mm gauge straight?

https://youtu.be/HvSBmLI8nhk

https://youtu.be/1RD53tNlx_I

Wow that's

awesome!

Thank you for sharing that.

It's rather like a deluxe, huge, battle City turbo car. If that's what they were called.

I'm on with an N gauge chassis design now that will hopefully smash my speed records to bits.

80,000rpm at the wheels, direct drive an almost weightless.

I'm sure it'll smash something to bits....

Hahaha! Well I've smashed 3 speed record models up in varying speeds of crashes so far.

I run a similar set up in the crazy racing version of my N gauge Wickham Trolley that I sell on shapeways. 4,000mph in scale is well within its ability in theory. 4 wheel drive big spoilers, wind tunnel tested. The front spoiler is the most important as it flips over backwards at speed without it. The air intake is functional and actually needed for cooling it's motors. I might put it for sale and see if anyone will ever buy one. I doubt it though. Everyone is too sensible (-:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/RUDGSECST/wickham-trolley-car-update-oo?optionId=63731069

post-30092-0-89524100-1506904190_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-19530300-1506904205_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-07077300-1506904229_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-59635300-1506904631.png

Edited by How about a Dictator Loco Class?
  • Like 1

This is an idea size wise of how the twin motor racing Wickham fits together. The wheels are hollowed to cup over part of the motor then the drive shafts are cut to length. I'll use my much much thinner wires though.

Weight is an issue to get good power pickup. So magn-adhesion principles are used.

post-30092-0-82550100-1506991702_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

As this topic was inspired by things like the Bluebird projects, Thrust 1, Thrust 2, Thrust SSC and Bloodhound SSC, I'm very interested in the recent fire up of Bloodhound and it's first tests on the 26th of this month. If anybody can help me I'd like to know, can the general public watch Bloodhounds Newquay test?

As model railway enthusiasts seem to know almost every obscure thing of interest.

Thank you!

Oh idiot here has just found out by googling it 2 min later! Sorry.

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/newquay-2017

• 2 weeks later...

I cant resist putting the micro direct drive system into my new hand car hehehe!

To see little people working away at light speed should be a good laugh. They'll look like an extreme version of Kermit the frog. Actually That's a good idea. I'll look into designing a novelty high speed Kermit version too! (-: I'll put a video up when it's eventually ready. Making the little men's joints move will be a delicate operation. I won't give up until it's done though.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QUENK7RGZ/hand-car-pump-wagon-oo-gauge?optionId=63853898

I like these videos;

My latest 3d print design;

post-30092-0-78588700-1508199318.png

post-30092-0-83263200-1508200154.gif

post-30092-0-00136400-1508200210.gif

post-30092-0-58162600-1508201072.gif

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

The model railway speed record project is now being sponsored. So more cash is currently going into development models and higher powered/fancy motors and parts. It looks like the thrust driven version will be the fastest. Hopefully it will use an improved version the miniature afterburner I previously tested.

post-30092-0-31022100-1521994069_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

Can anyone help please?

I'm looking for OO gauge wheels, that send power to pickups via brass pinpoint cone barings. So that power is taken from the 60° tapered axle ends. But ideally it would be even better if these wheels are insulated and go on to a steel axle. But the power transferring axle ends are actually part of the wheel, not the axle.

I can supply an accurate drawing of what I mean. If nothing quite like it exists I'll have to scratch make them via 3d steel/brass/aluminum printing and or some lathe work.

Standard power pickups create more drag and get in the way of my magnetic tuned suspention. I want power pickups that don't press backwards, forwards, up or down ideally.

Thank you.

Rob

• 7 months later...

I just read this. A few thoughts (which you may or may not have had previously).

For your pinpoint axles, what you describe to me sounds like a split axle pickup, but with coned axle ends. Essentially you put the axle in a jig to hold it all in place, cut though it, fill the cut with epoxy and there you go (often with a tufnol sleeve). There are threads on here regarding this (I haven't done it myself, so am not the one to ask).

Secondly, for keeping the loco on the track and stopping it lifting off (I'm assuming no pointwork here).

Fell system:

snaefell-mountain-railway.jpg

But instead of using a double headed centre rail like fell did, you could position those horizontal wheels further to the sides so the flange fits under the rail head...

Just ideas - they may or may not work.

• Like 1

Here is a video of one of the test runs 858mph scale speed. This model was made over 12 years ago and this run was about a year ago.

I've been practicing building miniature jet engines since this video was made. I'll post some much faster wheel driven models later on. I now have motors that go over 5 times faster and can be geared much higher. The next issue is space. I'll have to switch to a flat outdoor sports facility as this indoor track will now be of zero use. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

My brother had Scalextric, I had Minic. Now, if you put a Minic car on Scalextric track, it will literally take off. It's all to do with putting 16V through a 12V motor.

Fun while it lasted.....

I wouldn't have thought a Minic car would work on a Scalextric track as the pickup arrangements are completely different.

However I have (accidentally) managed to 'jump' Minic vehicles - I was wiring some automatic isolating sections into the Minic roadway on my father's layout, and when I got a mysterious short, I physically unplugged part of the roadway and moved it 2-3 inches from the other part, and ran a car on one bit in an effort to find out where the short was.

I wasn't quite quick enough turning the controller off before the car got to the break in the track, and to my amazement, it leaped across the gap, landed in the groove, and kept going, went round that half of the circuit and jumped back again! I was so shocked I let it circulate like that for several minutes to make sure I hadn't imagined it!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

They certainly do, or rather, did. The profile on the Minic wheel is a bit smaller than the gap of Scalextric, giving a very sloppy fit. The upshot is that it'll go full bore without coming off as easily as it's larger racing cars. If you still have some, give it a try.

• RMweb Gold

The Scalextric pick-up is 2 woven wire brush type contacts, which come into contact via the surface mounted top contact rail(s). On the Minic system there are, as you correctly said, 2 contact inserts within the slot. The Minic pick-up wheel is quite a coarse affair, wide enough to bridge the inside edges of the Scalextric surface mounted track. Also, due to its size, it sits down deeper in the Scalextric track, allowing greater speed to be attained.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I had it in mind the Scaleric metal strips were positioned away from the slot, but I must be thinking of a different system.

No, I think you're still right, but there were 2 pickups which sat inside the Minic track. That, and the wheel, combined to provide the electrical contact. The difference in scales (1/32-1/76) allowed the Minic to sit in what was a rather sloppy fit.  Scalextric of course, couldn't fit onto Minic track

• 10 months later...

I've wanted to try something along these lines with a Class 395 Hitachi, by fitting a motor to each axle of the 4 centre coaches and removing the existing mechanics in the trailer. Just haven't found a suitable motor yet.

• Like 1