Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

On 25/07/2020 at 01:40, ukdave74 said:

I've wanted to try something along these lines with a Class 395 Hitachi, by fitting a motor to each axle of the 4 centre coaches and removing the existing mechanics in the trailer. Just haven't found a suitable motor yet.

That's a brilliant idea! Please do it! If you need help with what motors to use please ask me. But for starters NSR make some cheap but very powerful long can slot car motors. King and the shark are my favourites. I've run them over 54 volts. I can get around 100,000 rpm out of them. They would go great in a 395.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/470009-fastest-railway-model

The above is the actual Guinness world record for the fastest model train. 44.82kph 27.84mph it's a working model maglev in Japan. I'd mistakenly thought it had done 44mph so I went out to try get near 40mph tonight.

But before I talk of tonight; Two weeks ago I'd at long last run my train 'Thunder Rocket' twice. Once in the sunny evening and again after sunset. I was amazed that my efforts to get an absolutely smooth, dead straight track had paid off and it made it along the entire track. Hitting 21mph with maximum downforce on it's first ever run but crashed and lost a wheel bearing. Then after light repairs it ran with no front wheel bearings and near minimum downforce and maximum thrust, down a 16 meter (50 foot fish) long track and hit 20 mph (the exact speeds to a few decimal places is written down in my phone somewhere). In run 2, 'Thunder Rocket' completely lost it's front wheels after overshooting the end of the 16m track at full speed and exploding. So both runs had their true top speed compromised, though they had both been comfortably the fastest ever runs of an OO gauge train. (From all I've ever found out) Also I'd deliberately run without an aerodynamic front cab end for fear of going too fast and also of damaging it. The goal was to start backed off and then start getting faster. But a 3rd run wasn't possible due to forgetting spare bearings and wheels.

A picture of 'Thunder Rocket' leaving the starting blocks to streak off down the straight.

894340406_Screenshot2020-10-26at01_27_37.jpeg.07410f73109a3136658e3a7424625011.jpeg

I'll start updating my youtube channel with more detailed videos of my runs in the near future. The footage I'm getting atm is very interesting to see. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3SR-WcdQPxf4IYP2msKEpQ

Only two very short videos of old records are on atm from years ago. But worth a look still.

Rob

Edited by How about a Dictator Loco Class?
  • Like 1