The Freight Only Period

'CHARD

Not specifically because of the new pictures coming through, but because there is a particular body of data and detail that can and should be explored about the too-brief 'afterlife' of the twitching Waverley cadaver...

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=56568

The best shot of Gala's down platform I've seen, perfect for scaling for modelling purposes.  Also, the wonderful Scottish blue flower beds (or planters in modern parlance), improvised from tractor tyres.  I confess I noticed such a feature on a station from a different route (Edinburgh Sub or somewhere) recently, I couldn't have dreamed such a charming detail existed on the WR!!!

EDIT:  Can't believe I missed this!!! https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/singleimage.php?id=55433

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Not specifically because of the new pictures coming through, but because there is a particular body of data and detail that can and should be explored about the too-brief 'afterlife' of the twitching Waverley cadaver...

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=56568

The best shot of Gala's down platform I've seen, perfect for scaling for modelling purposes.  Also, the wonderful Scottish blue flower beds (or planters in modern parlance), improvised from tractor tyres.  I confess I noticed such a feature on a station from a different route (Edinburgh Sub or somewhere) recently, I couldn't have dreamed such a charming detail existed on the WR!!!

EDIT:  Can't believe I missed this!!! https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/singleimage.php?id=55433

Interesting to see a solitary Banana van in the second photo.

Hello all, I've always had a morbid curiosity with the January 69 to final demolition period, in particular the track lifting from the very first panels at Riddings to the last connections to the north and south...challenge of the "holy grail" variety...are any of you learned members able to direct me to a source that details exactly when and how various sections were lifted?

Obviously there was an initial burst of activity followed by a lingering hiatus, before full steam ahead to the end of '71 early 72...the ideal of course would be a spreadsheet charting the various locations with dates, but perhaps that's something that I might create in due course......any help, direction would be greatly appreciated...Ross

• Like 1

Hello all, I've always had a morbid curiosity with the January 69 to final demolition period, in particular the track lifting from the very first panels at Riddings to the last connections to the north and south...challenge of the "holy grail" variety...are any of you learned members able to direct me to a source that details exactly when and how various sections were lifted?

Obviously there was an initial burst of activity followed by a lingering hiatus, before full steam ahead to the end of '71 early 72...the ideal of course would be a spreadsheet charting the various locations with dates, but perhaps that's something that I might create in due course......any help, direction would be greatly appreciated...Ross

The Railway Observers of the RCTS have some reports from the removal years. If I get chance I'll dig some out and put them up as they describe some of the lengths and the dates.

• Like 1

thanks for that Matt, by way of example Bruce's photos of the 'Huntiegowk Special' show the train passing through Stobs wrong line working on the downline, but when it appears out of Whitrope Tunnel the reason for wrong line working is pretty obvious as the up line has been lifted!

This is another element of the epilogue that has long fascinated me, so I am watching with acute interest  :angel:

As promised, it's time to whet some appetites with what the RO had to say on track lifting .... still got 1970 & 1972 to type up, but this was all interesting from 1971 so it's here first.

Jan

On 6th November 1970, a number of local papers carried a notice issued by British Railways warning persons living in the vicinity of the line to beware of trains which would be operating from 16th November for a period of twenty weeks in connection with track lifting. [This would take it through to 5th April 1971 - Matt].

An unidentified Class 08 shunter travelled light to Hawick on the 16th, the first movement noted for many months, and Class 26 D5304 (64B) was seen on a track recovery train on 18th.

A film report on the BBC television news programme “Reporting Scotland” on 19th November showed scenes of track lifting in progress.

May

Engineering trains conveying lifted track continue to operate between Edinburgh and Hawick several days a week, and will continue for some months according to local press advertisements.

Trains have been noted on Sundays and on 21st March 1971 Class 40 D286 (52A) was observed at Heriot with a load of recovered track heading towards Edinburgh. The train crew had considerable difficulty in opening the crossing gates as a heavy fall of snow had been cleared by road snow ploughs and piled up against the gates. [Presumably Ken Falconer's photos show this precise scene - Matt].

June

Track lifting continues apace. All track has now been removed south of Hawick at least as far as Kershopefoot, but over the border both lines remain intact between Longtown and north of Scotch Dyke. Although the track has gone at Shankend, Newcastleton and Kershopefoot, the signal posts at these stations still stand complete with arms and the frames are still in the signal boxes.

At Hawick on 4th April 1971 D3880 was shunting wagons of lifted track in the goods yard, but by 18th all track in the vicinity of the station and yard had vanished apart from a single line. On the latter date, however, track lifting had not progressed north of Hawick, both lines being in use for the passage of demolition trains to Edinburgh.

To be continued ….. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

RO reports from 1970 (missing a few months from the collection so typed up what there is in those I have)

January

Work on singling the line between Riddings and Hawick has begun but a decision on whether the rest of the track will be taken over by the Border Union Railway was to be made in early December.

June

A report appeared in the press recently that a passenger train had been observed passing through Hawick in a southerly direction on 1st April. The train apparently caused considerable excitement amongst the local population who have not forgiven the withdrawal of their railway service. The train, hauled by 5307, had several very clean blue coaches and according to British Rail was carrying inspectors and engineers connected with track lifting operations. [should read ONE observation coach – Matt]

A recent visit to most stations on the Waverley Route revealed no startling changes in the situation. No track lifting has taken place north of Hawick and south of that point the line has so far only been singled over certain sections. At Shankend, Newcastleton and Kershopefoot the signal arms are still on the posts although from Hawick north to Edinburgh the arms have been removed, except from certain fixed distants.

August

Work is proceeding on lifting one track south of Hawick. By 9th May the up line had been lifted from Newcastleton southwards to about one mile north of Kershopefoot, and northwards beyond Steele Road. At Shankend all fishplates on the up line had been removed, no doubt as a first stage of lifting. 3882 had been working the demolition train and was parked at Newcastleton over the weekend.

October

Public meetings, due to be held in August by representatives of Border Union Railway Ltd. (the organisation trying to re-open the line), were postponed, the reason being that, in view of the recent “favourable reply” to a question on Border Transport by the local M.P. in the House of Commons, B.U.R. Ltd. did not think it appropriate to hold the meetings at this time.

Judging by the undisturbed rust on the rails on 21st August at various points on the line, engineer’s trains have ceased operations and presumably track lifting is complete for the present. One brake van was observed in a siding at Newcastleton on the same date and the track in the station here was blocked by sections of the station fencing lying between the plaforms.  

• 5 months later...

I have acquired some old railway magazines, leafing through Railway Magazine July 1969 and what do I find?  A photo feature on the end of the Millerhill - Hawick freight service with four pictures, none of which I have seen before, including D368 shunting Galashiels lyes on 10/1/69 which must have been a nail-biting time for all concerned.  Do copyright laws allow me to scan it and put it up here?

I have acquired some old railway magazines, leafing through Railway Magazine July 1969 and what do I find?  A photo feature on the end of the Millerhill - Hawick freight service with four pictures, none of which I have seen before, including D368 shunting Galashiels lyes on 10/1/69 which must have been a nail-biting time for all concerned.  Do copyright laws allow me to scan it and put it up here?

Sadly, they probably don't - copyright is held with the photographer for life then for 70 years after the death of the photographer it's held with the estate. However, I would suggest that for research purposes such as this is, then a photographer may well relent on any action as he himself may not have seen his photo for almost 50 years - it does happen!

It's a tricky one as in this instance there's no malice or monetary gain involved. If scanned from a magazine I may personally have posted it up but quoted where it's scanned from and who the photographer is, stating no intentional copyright breach as it's simply for research and others don't have the actual magazine to view the image. 

Copying and posting up slides and other photos that are quite obviously someone's copyright is not on though, and I'm known for sending (rather snotty in some instances!) emails on behalf of several photographers to request they are removed or are credited correctly, directing them to the Intellectual Property Office document on the subject, at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/481194/c-notice-201401.pdf 

• 2 weeks later...

There's a word for the sensation I'm now experiencing, but I don't think it's appropriate for a family newspaper  :angel:

Could you advise what the other locations and subjects are, please, Richard?

EDIT to add:  Ordered on Ebay within a minute of posting this!!!!

Edited by 'CHARD

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I've only just noticed this thread. I have an original BR track plan on cartridge paper (on long-term loan from a friend) which gives details of rail and sleeper types as at the end of 1968. There's quite a bit of information on when lifting took place as well, but too much to list here now. Just as a flavour, lifting had reached Melrose station from the south on 16/9/71. By 28/9/71 it was at MP 35.75 (which I guess is around where Darnick Siding used to be), then the next two dates given are 8/11/71 at Bowshank Tunnel and 22/11/71 at MP27, just south of Stow.

Bill

• Like 2

Hi Bill, I think a mutual friend from Langholm may have mentioned this track plan! The two 11/71 references are interesting as I clearly recall D3880 on a Sunday demolition train running north between Fountainhall and Heriot, very sad memory!

• Like 1