Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

Today, via their Engine Shed blog, Hornby have announced that they are to produce the ex SECR / SR Wainwright H class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range. The blog post also includes images of the first 3D Stereolithography printed samples showing the excellent progress that they have made so far.

Further information also available on my blog here https://grahammuz.com/2016/09/21/Hornby-announce-the-ex-secr-sr-brs-wainwright-h-class-0-4-4-tank-as-part-of-their-2017-range/

Hornby have announced their intention to initially in 2017 to produce three versions: along with a fourth variant in a train pack with two Maunsell 6xx series Pull Push coaches.
Final details and actual locomotive numbers etc will be further revealed in due course.

• Like 6

From the 4 suggested variants, I think I will be buying 3 of them.

SECR (they will have a lot of flak if this is not the preserved member!).

Early BR

Late BR (doubtless the push pull variant).

Agree with others on extra SECR (grey, simplified Wainwright, Maunsal green...)

Fantastic news but are we to presume this heralds a retirement of the trusty M7 from the Hornby range? I cant see two Southern 0-4-4s surviving alongside each other.

Did anyone also notice that the Engine Blog states at the end...

"whilst at the wonderful Bluebell Railway last year, we couldn’t resist taking some snaps of other pieces of railway history as well, but let’s save that for another time shall we?"

That's almost worthy of starting a new thread speculating on what else they had or have in mind but maybe that for another day. For now, I'm delighted with the announcement. Well done Hornby!

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see the H done finally. I see they're planning a P-P set with one too, so that might be what I aim for as the P-P sets all ended up going Westwards it seems :)

Edit: do we think they'll get the handrail knobs at the right angle this time? ;)

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1

These days I temper my enthusiasm, knowing that Hornby only tool for the BR modeller, which means many pre-Grouping livery models are merely models of "as preserved". 

But, if the reality is that I can only buy models of the prototypes the outline of which was not changed between WW1 and withdrawal under BR, then I should still have something to be very pleased about should the model of the H Class be released in full Wainwright livery. 

Provided of course, that Hornby can match Bachmann in that regard.  Hornby's liveries in a few instances have been off in the colours, and I never thought the black green-lined Class 700 was quite as good as Bachmann's black green-lined C Class, though still impressive.  I hope Hornby do not spare their efforts if they attempt this livery, because I am sure their best can be good enough.

If I were the Bluebell, I'd want a fully lined Wainwright liveried version in my gift shop.  It would be a logical choice, and I refuse to despair of logic occasionally applying to the crazy world of RTR releases.

So, close to delight.  Hope for fully lined delight in due course.

It is good to see Hornby producing such a model, despite its difficulties.  I hope it is an model I, for one, can fully support in due course. It's always best to have something to be positive about!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic news but are we to presume this heralds a retirement of the trusty M7 from the Hornby range? I cant see two Southern 0-4-4s surviving alongside each other.

Did anyone also notice that the Engine Blog states at the end...

"whilst at the wonderful Bluebell Railway last year, we couldn’t resist taking some snaps of other pieces of railway history as well, but let’s save that for another time shall we?"

That's almost worthy of starting a new thread speculating on what else they had or have in mind but maybe that for another day. For now, I'm delighted with the announcement. Well done Hornby!

Rested rather than retired, I'd think.

In two or three years time, most who want the H will have got all they want and there will be an opening for some of the M7 variants that Hornby haven't yet touched.

John

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see the H done finally. I see they're planning a P-P set with one too, so that might be what I aim for as the P-P sets all ended up going Westwards it seems :)

Edit: do we think they'll get the handrail knobs at the right angle this time? ;)

They seem to have done so on the latest releases of 700s, so that's hopefully a thing of the past.

John

Rested rather than retired, I'd think.

In two or three years time, most who want the H will have got all they want and there will be an opening for some of the M7 variants that Hornby haven't yet touched.

John

We have been a little spoilt for LSWR stuff in recent years though - even tank locos. Lets see:

Tanks Engines:

M7

Adams Radial 4-4-2 (by two manufactuers)

O2 (that's two 0-4-4 types for the LSWR)

Beattie Well tank

and still the Dapol dock tank to come

Tender Engines:

T9

N15

And don't forget the 4 LSWR coaches recently released by Hornby with Kernow push pull stock and a break van on the way.

Where as us poor south eastern modelers have had:

R1 Wrenn (rather obsolete!)

N class

C class

(and 1 terrier recently in SECR wainwright colours)

Soon to come 3 birdcage coaches.

So the H really helps to catch up!!

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

We have been a little spoilt for LSWR stuff in recent years though - even tank locos. Lets see:

Tanks Engines:

M7

Adams Radial 4-4-2 (by two manufactuers)

Beattie Well tank

Tender Engines:

T9

N15

And don't forget the 4 LSWR coaches recently released by Hornby with Kernow push pull stock and a break van on the way.

N class

C class

IIRC, the USA dock tank is being made by Bachmann for Model Rail.

We've also had, S15, Merchant Navy (with airsmoothed to come soon), WC/BC in both versions and a host of others, including the Q1 in recent years.

• RMweb Premium

We've also had, S15, Merchant Navy (with airsmoothed to come soon), WC/BC in both versions and a host of others, including the Q1 in recent years.

Yes the Dock Tank is coming from Bachmann. It was originally Dapol but due to issues Model Rail changed to Bachmann.

Tanks Engines:

M7

Adams Radial 4-4-0 (by two manufactuers)

Beattie Well tank

Tender Engines:

T9

N15

N class

C class

No, the BR and late Grouping modeller has been spoilt for ex-LSWR stuff in recent years. 

If you will permit me to amend your list for LSWR modellers:

Tanks Engines:

M7 - was released in Urie sage as a Ltd Edition and, now, finally in Drummond green 

Adams Radial 4-4-0 (by two manufactuers) - Both Adams livery versions are "as preserved" - the tooling does not cater for pre-Grouping, albeit it can probably be fairly easily altered

O2 (that's two 0-4-4 types for the LSWR) - No LSWR version.  That's still 1 type of 0-4-4T, indeed, just 1 tank engine, for the LSWR.

Beattie Well tank - ditto

Tender Engines:

T9  - Tooling incompatible with a LSWR, innards may be too.  Urie sage green version a preservation fake.

700  - Tooling incompatible with a LSWR, innards may be too.

N15 - a bit late for me, but certainly no LSW version produced

And don't forget the 4 LSWR coaches recently released by Hornby with Kernow push pull stock and a break van on the way. - no, Hornby give you ex-LSW coaches from 1935/6 and Kernow ex-LSW Gate Stock from 1933.

I don't call 1 tank engine and no coaches "spoilt"

As for future releases?  Great if I want to model a dock.

Not having a go at you, and I adopt your enthusiasm for the release, but it seems fair to point out that producing tooling with the sole interest of the BR period modeller in mind, as Red Box consistently does, does not equate to coverage of a pre-Grouping company.

Rant over, I'll take a pill and lie down in a darkened room for a bit ....

Edited by Edwardian

Following on from Edwardian's post above...

…none of which are LSWR, but I take your point!

• RMweb Gold

Just for clarity before suggesting that this thread returns to the topic of the H class by Hornby, the Model Rail Magazine USA tank has of course been produced by Bachmann but the Adams B4 0-4-0T (also referred to by some as a dock tank)  is still to be produced by Dapol having announced it back in March 2014....

Now back to the H class please...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

H class!?! Chinese tonight! :D I really hope the PP pack is olive green. But I'll happy take an individual engine if it comes to it :)

If I understand the announcement correctly, the PP set will be the existing a 1959 BR-converted one, why would you want that in Olive Green? 

John