Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

Stunning!! Glad I've got one on pre-order as they'll sell out pretty quick. In fact I have all 3 locos and the train pack on pre-order, my No.1 Southern loco. Nice to see they've acknowledged the chimney is the wrong shape on this sample and it will be changed.

Just imagine if they achieved that overall standard of appearance on a model of the Wainwright D 'Coppertop' 4-4-0.  (Quite why no-one has got around to a RTR model of this class as yet baffles me, preserved specimen, elegance second only to the Stirling single, good performers with a very long and successful service history.)

Sorry but for me the D is far more elegant than a Stirling Single. 

Really impressed by the photos of the SE&CR H. Will complement the Bachmann C Class I think. 

Edited by Venator

• 4 weeks later...

A welcome addition for SR fans but I do hope they do a better job of making it DCC-ready than they did with the M7.  Trouble is, Hornby don't have a 6-pin decoder which is what this model really needs.  Fitting a 6-pin decoder to Bachmann's E4 was a doddle compared to fitting anything to the M7 ....

Hi There. I didn't have any trouble fitting a Decoder to my M7. The trouble came from the front tension lock coupling , causing the loco to redrail when going over points. Passed Driver

A welcome addition for SR fans but I do hope they do a better job of making it DCC-ready than they did with the M7.  Trouble is, Hornby don't have a 6-pin decoder which is what this model really needs.  Fitting a 6-pin decoder to Bachmann's E4 was a doddle compared to fitting anything to the M7 ....

I used a TCS DP2X-UK decoder for the M7, they do cost a bit more but fit straight in without any need for modification.

I have taken the option of Pre-ordering an H class now as I was really disappointed that I couldn't get a H&P Peckett (other than for twice the price on E-bay) let's hope that they are not over subscribed yet.

Has anyone seen anything showing the location/fitting options for the DCC chip in the H?

Edited by gz3xzf

I used a TCS DP2X-UK decoder for the M7, they do cost a bit more but fit straight in without any need for modification.

I have taken the option of Pre-ordering an H class now as I was really disappointed that I couldn't get a H&P Peckett (other than for twice the price on E-bay) let's hope that they are not over subscribed yet.

Has anyone seen anything showing the location/fitting options for the DCC chip in the H?

I’d imagine that Hornby will follow its usual practice of providing an eight-pin socket. The big question is, will space and wiring for a speaker be provided? The Coal Tank shows the way.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Finally a decorated sample in BR livdery and wow nice it is too.....Don't think any got down to Wadebridge in Cornwall but we will find an excuse for one on my future layout....diverted whilst on an excursion!....Great News Hornby....a perfect partner for an H class on some of the Sussex Branchlines!

• Like 1

I am getting lazy in my advancing age. Beautiful as this model is, I am afraid I will wait until the plain black version BR before stripping for a Sunshine black Southern version.  Of course they could save me even that trouble and "Let the Sunshine, Let the Sunshine In" sooner. 

This H Class model will be added to the Hornby emu's, unblemished Merchant Navy and Bachmann C as part of my growing SR Penge East collection.

I am getting lazy in my advancing age. Beautiful as this model is, I am afraid I will wait until the plain black version BR before stripping for a Sunshine black Southern version. Of course they could save me even that trouble and "Let the Sunshine, Let the Sunshine In" sooner.

This H Class model will be added to the Hornby emu's, unblemished Merchant Navy and Bachmann C as part of my growing SR Penge East collection.

I'll certainly have a wartime black one when one eventually appears, but I'm sure I read on here that the Southern one Hornby are making stayed in that livery into BR days?

• RMweb Premium

Slightly confusingly, the blurb in the latest The Engine Shed mentions that the train pack version is "Early BR" yet the image shows late crest with flashes and BR(S) green coaches.  To me 'Early BR' would have been early crest of even lettered plain black.

• RMweb Premium

Slightly confusingly, the blurb in the latest The Engine Shed mentions that the train pack version is "Early BR" yet the image shows late crest with flashes and BR(S) green coaches. To me 'Early BR' would have been early crest of even lettered plain black.

The title of the train pack listing on Hornbys website also says it is in Early BR but the description for the pack says it is late BR, circa 1963, and so does the catalogue. I'd imagine that's what it will be.

• RMweb Gold

If the coaches are the pull-push set, they didn't appear until 1959.

Talking of those, it seems Hornby have just released a 6th set, if you include the original one packed with the M7. With only 20 sets in the prototype, I hope these are selling that well - but slightly surprised.

• 4 weeks later...

Nobody else commented yet ??!? ................ Hornby's Engine Shed blog is dropping VERY HEAVY hints about 'HUGE H class related surprises' ....................... let the speculation commence !

( We can alll guess at other livery options so they wouldn't be a HUGE surprise - and they've done most of the Maunsell Pull & Push sets ............. maye they'll backdate the loco as an R1 0-4-4T - or even modify the tooling as an R1 0-6-0T .................. or taking the word 'HUGE' literally, what about a J class !!?! )

Nobody else commented yet ??!? ................ Hornby's Engine Shed blog is dropping VERY HEAVY hints about 'HUGE H class related surprises' ....................... let the speculation commence !

( We can alll guess at other livery options so they wouldn't be a HUGE surprise - and they've done most of the Maunsell Pull & Push sets ............. maye they'll backdate the loco as an R1 0-4-4T - or even modify the tooling as an R1 0-6-0T .................. or taking the word 'HUGE' literally, what about a J class !!?! )

A Huge H class could be an H15.

I'd love that but as there is an excess of S15s around at the moment it might point more towards an H16. That would be heavy and huge.

• RMweb Premium

As noted on another thread, the word 'HUGE' has 4 letters. If we work back from the letter H we get to.....D

Equally if we work forward 4 letters we get to L

Both are SECR engines and the D can carry the ornate Wainwright livery too (not sure about the L), plus the D can be laser scanned.

By contrast the H15 was a LSWR loco and is fairly similar to the S15 / N15 that Hornby already produce. The H16 might be 'Huge' in size but its hard to see the connection with the H tank that Hornby mention.

If course it could be an item of rolling stock - but Bachmann have nabbed the most signature coach design on the SECR in the form of the 'Birdcage'. Something like a SECR brake van would tick the boxes if they are thinking small - which Hornby's announcement suggests there are not.

Edited by phil-b259

As noted on another thread, the word 'HUGE' has 4 letters. If we work back from the letter H we get to.....D

Equally if we work forward 4 letters we get to L

Both are SECR engines and the D can carry the ornate Wainwright livery too (not sure about the L), plus the D can be laser scanned.

By contrast the H15 was a LSWR loco and is fairly similar to the S15 / N15 that Hornby already produce. The H16 might be 'Huge' in size but its hard to see the connection with the H tank that Hornby mention.

If course it could be an item of rolling stock - but Bachmann have nabbed the most signature coach design on the SECR in the form of the 'Birdcage'. Something like a SECR brake van would tick the boxes if they are thinking small - which Hornby's announcement suggests there are not.

1) The L calass carried a simplified livery from new.

2) The only likely SECR good brake would be the 'dancehall' type ... but that's Bachmann territory as the chassis's the same as the early 'pillbox'.

.... of course, more HUGE than a J would be a River - but I think the truncated lifespan makes that rather unlikely.

Maybe it's a Nelson class 460, the Hornby online survey at the beginning of the year mentioned this loco along with the Class 87, which is due early 2018.

It would make perfect sense, seeing that Bachmann appear not to be interested in upgrading this model, it doesn't even feature in their current range. A range of Bulleid coaches wouldn't go amiss either.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1