Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

I'm not talking about pre 1923. I did say "ex SECR".

I know that most ex SECR classes also worked on ex LBSC lines after grouping. They were quite common on the Central Section.

If no coaches were fitted with air brakes, then why did ex LBSC locomotives still have Westinghouse brakes fitted well into the 1960s? And I mean brakes, not reversers.

Jason

There's a subtle difference between the way the two railways CHOSE to brake their locos : the SECR - and most other railways - used STEAM brakes on the locomotive itself with a proprtional valve arrangement to control the continuous brakes on the train .......... the Brighton, on the other hand, use air brakes on BOTH the loco AND the train so most retained their compressors to the end : I seem to recall that a few were converted to steam brakes - but why bother !!?!

• RMweb Gold

If no coaches were fitted with air brakes, then why did ex LBSC locomotives still have Westinghouse brakes fitted well into the 1960s? And I mean brakes, not reversers.

Southern's EMUs had Westinghouse Air brakes, so in cases of problematic weather ex-LBSC locos could be used to haul them.

I was thinking more around Norwood Junction, East Croydon, East Grinstead, Tunbridge Wells Branch, Three Bridges, Brighton, etc..

Central Division sheds - details from Ian Allan ABCs and BR Database

75A Brighton had P, H, C, L

75B Redhill had E, D, D1, H

75C Norwood Junction had C, H

75D Horsham had E, D, C

75E Three Bridges had D, C, H

75F Tunbridge Wells West Had H

Jason

Confirmed a friend of mine has got the email saying dispatched he has ordered direct from Hornby, what we don't know if it is the whole lot so retailers ect... So depends if retailers have got notice.... I shall ask my local shop tomorrow.

Hornby website states SECR H Class new in stock, other versions including the push pull set due December and January.

Would I be right in thinking that 31263 was a straight sided bunker example in BR days and became a flared bunker version only in preservation?

Not to my knowledge. Definitely flared in these photos.

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/hclass_04.html

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/hclass_02.html

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

My one is on the way .I got 20 quid off it as I filled in a  survey many moons back .Its a known fact that the  Southern Pacific imported  one to use as switcher  in about 46 -55 .They painted it   back to SE&CR green as the boss liked the colour .Any comments to the contrary can only come from ill :sungum: informed fools  :no:

Edited by alfsboy

My one is on the way .I got 20 quid off it as I filled in a survey many moons back .Its a known fact that the Southern Pacific imported one to use as switcher in about 46 -55 .They painted it back to SE&CR green as the boss liked the colour .Any comments to the contrary can only come from ill :sungum: informed fools :no:

If ive read that correctly. An H Class got exported to america to use in a southern pacific yard as a shunter? Never heard of that happening

Jason

Jason

The above website is somewhere I just did a quick check and is very useful for brief/concise SR loco histories and technical specifications. There are plenty of photos in printed reference material and achieve film on DVD that show 263 with a flared bunker in BR days. I have a photo from the mid 1950s that shows 263 had a flared bunker back then and with the early BR lion and wheel emblem and no push-pull fittings (so no Westinghouse pump). I believe that 263 was fitted with this equipment in 1960 so quite late in life as the loco was withdrawn in January 1964. I don't have any photos of the loco in SR or SECR days to check what period the bunker was changed. Saying that I haven't really searched yet!! Preserved locos can be a minefield for researchers as a lot of them received modifications either during their pre-preservation working lives or during preservation that do not then represent the loco in it's as built form. So, 263 in SECR livery is wrong!! I still think it looks fantastic even though I am a BR(s) steam era modeller.

As for Westinghouse brake fitted locos? I believe that 13 H class locos were fitted from new and so were dual fitted (air and vacuum) to work ex-LCDR air brake fitted stock. This has been mentioned in a previous post. A number of C class locos were also similarly fitted and I believe these remained so until late into their lives or until withdrawal. I have not seen any photographic evidence that H class locos carried Westinghouse air brake equipment into BR days, only air pumps associated with push-pull working.

The above website is somewhere I just did a quick check and is very useful for brief/concise SR loco histories and technical specifications. There are plenty of photos in printed reference material and achieve film on DVD that show 263 with a flared bunker in BR days. I have a photo from the mid 1950s that shows 263 had a flared bunker back then and with the early BR lion and wheel emblem and no push-pull fittings (so no Westinghouse pump). I believe that 263 was fitted with this equipment in 1960 so quite late in life as the loco was withdrawn in January 1964. I don't have any photos of the loco in SR or SECR days to check what period the bunker was changed. Saying that I haven't really searched yet!! Preserved locos can be a minefield for researchers as a lot of them received modifications either during their pre-preservation working lives or during preservation that do not then represent the loco in it's as built form. So, 263 in SECR livery is wrong!! I still think it looks fantastic even though I am a BR(s) steam era modeller.

As for Westinghouse brake fitted locos? I believe that 13 H class locos were fitted from new and so were dual fitted (air and vacuum) to work ex-LCDR air brake fitted stock. This has been mentioned in a previous post. A number of C class locos were also similarly fitted and I believe these remained so until late into their lives or until withdrawal. I have not seen any photographic evidence that H class locos carried Westinghouse air brake equipment into BR days, only air pumps associated with push-pull working.

1263 was involved in an accident at Cannon Street in 1944 and I suspect it got the flared bunker after that.  It, however, lacked the bead at the base of the flare - that was added by the Bluebell. 

Chris Knowles-Thomas

1263 was involved in an accident at Cannon Street in 1944 and I suspect it got the flared bunker after that.  It, however, lacked the bead at the base of the flare - that was added by the Bluebell. 

Chris Knowles-Thomas

Mystery solved!! Sounds very much like that was the re-bunkering date/reason. Never noticed the lack of beading, thanks for sharing this information.

Rails of Sheffield has now put up the price on my pre-order for my Hornby R3540 H class in Southern olive green livery from £89.50 to £97.49. This makes it more expensive than Hattons which is retaining its price of £90 although they have sold out on pre-orders.

Hornby has put its price up from £109.99 to £119.99 but I understand that it is still honouring the original price to retailers who have made pre-orders

My one is on the way .I got 20 quid off it as I filled in a  survey many moons back .Its a known fact that the  Southern Pacific imported  one to use as switcher  in about 46 -55 .They painted it   back to SE&CR green as the boss liked the colour .Any comments to the contrary can only come from ill :sungum: informed fools  :no:

...... I guess there will always be some fools ill informed about the possibilities offered by Rule 1 !!?!

As for No.263 - or more accurately 1263 - there's a picture in one of this months mags showing the loco in grubby Bulleid black with flat-sided bunker ......... without the thing in front of me I can't say whether it's before or after the Cannon Street prang.

...... I guess there will always be some fools ill informed about the possibilities offered by Rule 1 !!?!

As for No.263 - or more accurately 1263 - there's a picture in one of this months mags showing the loco in grubby Bulleid black with flat-sided bunker ......... without the thing in front of me I can't say whether it's before or after the Cannon Street prang.

Interesting - I'd love to see this pic if you can remember which mag - it doesn't seem to be in Steam Days, Backtrack or Steam World for Oct or Nov.  There is a colour feature on the class in Steam Days for November including 31518 (BR late crest) - one of Hornby's choices, and a BR pic of 31263 in 1962 with flared bunker.

Incidentally Hs got Bulleid lettering/numbering from Dec 1939 and repaints were plain black from March 1941. 

Chris Knowles-Thomas