Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

I don't ever remember seeing Hornby selling direct at the shows. So will it just be "we have a new club and this is the first exclusive join online here" with a leaflet? Or are they breaking the habit by taking a some stock (which doubtless must include some of the new club items as well) and computers/tills to sign people up on the day?

Noting down people's addresses in a system is no speedy task, so you would a few machines to meet demand.

Of course, maybe Bluebell is selling direct that day only. As I cannot see them fuffing around signing people into the Hornby club.

Perplexed how this will play out.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby in the past at shows have sold what I would describe as kiddie items, cheap Roadshow and other open wagons usually a few years out of date and being shifted cheap to get shot of the things!  They could have sold their display Peckett which was on display at Ally Pally about a hundred times over as I witnessed a few people trying to offer them hard currency for it!

Edited by John M Upton

Sorry if this has been answered before.

My loco appears to have a tight spot. I have only run it for an hour or so 'down the club'.

I will run it in for longer but has anyone else had this problem before I take it apart to have a look at it, or is it duff and needs to go back.

First loco I have had in a long time that hasn't run smoothly from the box.

Thanks in advance

Owen

Could be worth taking the body off and trying it. There has been a report of the flywheel rubbing inside the body

• RMweb Gold

Sorry if this has been answered before.

My loco appears to have a tight spot. I have only run it for an hour or so 'down the club'.

I will run it in for longer but has anyone else had this problem before I take it apart to have a look at it, or is it duff and needs to go back.

First loco I have had in a long time that hasn't run smoothly from the box.

Thanks in advance

Owen

Send it back. This is what I did with a dud M7 and an Adams Radial both within the last two years.Don't mess around..This is not your problem and not what you paid for.You will invalidate consumers rights if you indulge in a d-I-y venture.

• RMweb Premium

Send it back. This is what I did with a dud M7 and an Adams Radial both within the last two years.Don't mess around..This is not your problem and not what you paid for.You will invalidate consumers rights if you indulge in a d-I-y venture.

Unlike the Adams Radial however, stocks of the SECR H tank are hard to come by - Hornby themselves have said they have no 'spare' models to replace duff ones.

As such if you do really want the SECR H tank then a repair (which can of course be done by Hornby as a warranty matter) is likely to be your only course of action.

Start by just taking the body off. It won’t invalidate the warranty. If it then runs free, then the issue is binding in the body. If it is still tight it is a mechanism problem. Then take it from there. At least identify which area the problem exists to start with.

Mine also had a tight spot. I carefully removed the body for a look-see. On mine, the gear tower all the way down to the driven axle was crammed with the white grease, almost as though it had been put in with a sealant gun. Some careful and patient cleaning out to remove as much grease as possible and it runs beautifully.

Depends how brave you are in terms of getting to all the gears. The motor cover comes off to give access to the worm gear and top of the gear tower. The baseplate comes off to release the driving wheels and exposes the bottom gear. On the side of the chassis is a gear tower cover with really tiny screws. That gives access to the intermediate gears which is where I found most of the grease.

It all comes apart fairly easily - I just took it slowly and made sure I knew which screws went where.

Sam

My SECR H class locomotive in my display of pre-grouping engines. As someone said "some people collect stamps."

I am having some problems with this engine as it is taking a lot of current to run it. Perhaps the problems are the flywheel touching the coal bunker and too much grease on the gears as mentioned in a previous post. I will try and sort it out. If I cannot I will send it back to Hornby to be repaired under the guarantee,

A couple of weeks ago the motor on my 'Royal Mail' burnt out. Hornby repaired it free of charge and it is now running very well.

post-17621-0-21157900-1510845438_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone fitted a DCC decoder to this model, and if so were there any problems?  Looks like it may be the same tight fit as the M7.  Just wish Hornby would move forward and start using 6-pin decoders for such small models. Fitting a Lenz 6-pin to the Bachmann E4 was a doddle. 

• RMweb Gold

Yes and yes!

Originally tried a Hattons "small & thin" decoder with harness which is what they (Hattons) recommended. It wouldn't fit. They have now changed their advice to their DCR 8 pin direct plug in decoder. 

I actually ended up using a DCC Concepts  DCD-ZN8D decoder which fits quite nicely. This comes with a stay alive but I couldn't get that in. However after tweaking  the rear pick ups mine runs quite nicely through all my insulfrog points.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1

If you were to clear the top shelf of whatever it is, there would be space for the GNR Stirling single, GNR Ivatt Atlantic, GNR Gresley A1 pacific; as a crowning glory of the pinnacle of evolution.

I think you are missing a 4-4-0 in that list. In fact, at least 2 as D class must go in there between the C and H class.

Side tracking, I have Hornby's Great Northern but in LNER colours (though with the early style Cab), have they ever released one in GNR colours?

• Like 1

I think you are missing a 4-4-0 in that list. In fact, at least 2 as D class must go in there between the C and H class.

Side tracking, I have Hornby's Great Northern but in LNER colours (though with the early style Cab), have they ever released one in GNR colours?

Not sure which Great Northern you're referring to : I think the only G.N.R. loco Hornby have done that could have had an early style cab would have been the J52 - but that's not what they've done ....... shame as the condensing locos had the early cab ( and other differences ) and frequently ran south of the Thames ....... thus putting them ALMOST back on topic !

Has anyone fitted a DCC decoder to this model, and if so were there any problems?  Looks like it may be the same tight fit as the M7.  Just wish Hornby would move forward and start using 6-pin decoders for such small models. Fitting a Lenz 6-pin to the Bachmann E4 was a doddle. 

I fitted a Hattons mini direct decoder, which seems to work OK. I think it does need a small direct plug-in decoder, and this fitted the bill, being the only 8-pin direct decoder I have left at present in my stocks. 

For similar installations in the past (such as Hornby's M7 locomotives), I have used TCS DP2X-UK decoders and a few DCC Concepts Zen Nano decoders.

Guest spet0114

Not sure which Great Northern you're referring to : I think the only G.N.R. loco Hornby have done that could have had an early style cab would have been the J52 - but that's not what they've done ....... shame as the condensing locos had the early cab ( and other differences ) and frequently ran south of the Thames ....... thus putting them ALMOST back on topic !

He means no 1470, or 4470 to give the LNER number. The early style cab means the original height cab, before it was reduced in height to allow the A1s to run north of York.

As far as I'm aware, Hornby have only modelled Great Northern in her immediate post-grouping form, as 1470N.

Edited by spet0114

He means no 1470, or 4470 to give the LNER number. The early style cab means the original height cab, before it was reduced in height to allow the A1s to run north of York.

As far as I'm aware, Hornby have only modelled Great Northern in her immediate post-grouping form, as 1470N.

Oh, that 'Great Northern' !!?! ............ a loco that could be kit-bashed into all sorts of other permutations and liveries too - if I remember rightly - if your name's Thompson !

First of the lined black ones is in captivity in Western Australia! Thanks to Craig at Hobbytec Myaree for a good deal on this example,  I only went in for some Tamiya Varnish!

post-294-0-50768000-1511506442_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-79611700-1511506501_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-87299600-1511506582_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-07991700-1511506657_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-30604300-1511506731_thumb.jpg

All detailing parts added, except the extra buffer beam pipes for P/P working as they interefere with the tension lock couplings. Settled down nice and quietly on the rolling road. A very nice model model. well done again Hornby!!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 11

I have documented this elsewhere as well, but I had to adjusts the BEMF settings on mine to get it to run smoothly with a load on. After some experimentation, I ended up with CV10 = 128, and that worked well.

I was also disappointed to think that my H had developed a squeak, but further investigation revealed that it was actually the Hornby ex-LSWR coach behind it that was squeaking! :D