Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

I was also disappointed to think that my H had developed a squeak, but further investigation revealed that it was actually the Hornby ex-LSWR coach behind it that was squeaking! :D

Borrow a bat detector ......... if it detects 'Pipistrelle' it's an SECR squeek but if it finds 'Greater Horseshoe' it'll be LSWR ...........

First of the lined black ones is in captivity in Western Australia! Thanks to Craig at Hobbytec Myaree for a good deal on this example,  I only went in for some Tamiya Varnish!

attachicon.gifH class 001.JPG

attachicon.gifH class 002.JPG

attachicon.gifH class 003.JPG

attachicon.gifH class 004.JPG

attachicon.gifH class 005.JPG

All detailing parts added, except the extra buffer beam pipes for P/P working as they interefere with the tension lock couplings. Settled down nice and quietly on the rolling road. A very nice model model. well done again Hornby!!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Wow that is some expensive varnish!!!   :O

There are some SECR locos on eBay at present, they are from Rails and have started at lower prices due to faults. One has a bent whistle, one has scratches to the paintwork and another a motor whine. They might be worth keeping an eye on if you are still after a loco. 

There are some SECR locos on eBay at present, they are from Rails and have started at lower prices due to faults. One has a bent whistle, one has scratches to the paintwork and another a motor whine. They might be worth keeping an eye on if you are still after a loco. 

....... and can afford to splash out on a brass whistle while you're at Warley ................

First of the lined black ones is in captivity in Western Australia! Thanks to Craig at Hobbytec Myaree for a good deal on this example,  I only went in for some Tamiya Varnish!

attachicon.gifH class 001.JPG

attachicon.gifH class 002.JPG

attachicon.gifH class 003.JPG

attachicon.gifH class 004.JPG

attachicon.gifH class 005.JPG

All detailing parts added, except the extra buffer beam pipes for P/P working as they interefere with the tension lock couplings. Settled down nice and quietly on the rolling road. A very nice model model. well done again Hornby!!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Well, that’s 2 H class in western Oz, with another to follow when the push pull set is released

• RMweb Premium

Just out of interest, does Australian bound Hornby stock go direct there from China rather than all the way to the UK and then back out again?

Edited by John M Upton

Just out of interest, does Australian bound Hornby stock go direct there from China rather than all the way to the UK and then back out again?

I have often wondered about this, and not just with Hornby.

Many years ago I was a regular visitor to the old Train Place near Beenleigh in South East Queensland. Everyone in the world in those days seemed to be waiting for the first Bachman Ivatt 2-6-2T's to arrive and there they were just sitting on the shelves! I bought a late crest and early crest version immediately. This was in the days before even blackened wheels had started. They ran well for years but in the end both succumbed to axle fatigue as Bachman locos often did in those days. I gave one away to an old friend who repaired and fixed the offending axles - with Araldite I believe - and it is still running! 

Anyway, enough rambling. Although this was long before RMWeb and smart phones I am sure the first run of Bachman Ivatts arrived in Oz well before the UK. 

PS  - Just had a call from Hobbyone in Brisbane - off to pick up my BR Black H class today, 'bout time we beat the Poms in something other than just cricket all the time...............................

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it all goes to the UK first.  The antipodean purchases wouldn't even make 1 container per year.

SECR fun...

It's interesting to see these two alongside each other and emphatically shows just how over-shiny that dome is on the 0-4-4! I'm aware that they were polished but such a high lustre doesn't seem to transfer directly to 4mm scale realistically.

It's interesting to see these two alongside each other and emphatically shows just how over-shiny that dome is on the 0-4-4! I'm aware that they were polished but such a high lustre doesn't seem to transfer directly to 4mm scale realistically.

That is a good point but I think it looks better than the tender loco. It actually looks like real metal.  The dome on the tender loco has the same matt finish as the Oxford Dean Single dome and it looks like paint....nothing like real metal. All in the eye of the beholder I suppose !

That is a good point but I think it looks better than the tender loco. It actually looks like real metal.  The dome on the tender loco has the same matt finish as the Oxford Dean Single dome and it looks like paint....nothing like real metal. All in the eye of the beholder I suppose !

Yes, the finish needs to be somewhere halfway between the two... ;-)

I wonder if the Hornby dome comes off easily? Perhaps it could be put aside whilst a replacement whitemetal one from say the Southeastern Finecast kit could be experimented upon.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the finish needs to be somewhere halfway between the two... ;-)

I wonder if the Hornby dome comes off easily? Perhaps it could be put aside whilst a replacement whitemetal one from say the Southeastern Finecast kit could be experimented upon.

Yes the dome is push fit, the loco body is 3 main sections slotted together.post-20773-0-30585200-1512115238.jpegpost-20773-0-72691600-1512115247.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

I'd be nervous about that piece of unsupported track in front of the H.

I have a rickety rackety “trainset” and proud of it :-) that corners never caused me a problem, but this ones a bit more interesting,.

SECR C & H Class coming out to play.

https://youtu.be/dFFepPBwba8

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It seems the BR lined black version is here. Mine is on its way apparently and with honoured pre order price too.

Now to decide which one to renumber it too...

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Converting a late crest to an early crest should be reasonably straightforward, just the OHLE warning sticker on the splasher lining might be a slight headache.

• RMweb Gold

the OHLE warning sticker on the splasher lining might be a slight headache.

Then and now - WTF was an OHLE sticker doing on an H Class?They were never allowed anywhere near London SR in that era, so how would they have got north of the smoke?

Then and now - WTF was an OHLE sticker doing on an H Class?They were never allowed anywhere near London SR in that era, so how would they have got north of the smoke?

I think the Southern Region applied stickers to any and all of its engines with what is described by physicists as 'random events', a management system then in vogue at BR.