Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

But by the time the H Class got a late crest, would the birdcages still have been crimson?

A H pulling these in late crest should be possible but with push pull gear and electric warning marks, maybe not.

At some point I,ll have J class in early crest which could be more apt.

• Like 1

My SECR class H has made its way to South Africa, it was carried in my daughter's hand lugggage which avoided the anxiety of it travelling by post. Royal Mail is not the problem but our local post office.

First impressions are that the loco is a bit smaller than I thought (it's hard to gauge size from photographs) and absolutely beautifully detailed and painted. I have given it a short test run and it seems to be fine.

I'm very pleased that I pre ordered this lovely loco.

• Like 1

But by the time the H Class got a late crest, would the birdcages still have been crimson?

True but some of us just had to have an H class having waited for nigh on 55 years -

The fact that the livery is all wrong for our modeled era  is but a minor inconvenience..:)

Rather like summer in Canada - a minor inconvenience to be found between successive winters..

• RMweb Gold

I think that some of the birdcages have been preserved. If British Railways did not repaint them green they would have remained crimson when the H class got a late crest and electricity warning labels.

this one was, right upto the 1990's, following departmental service..

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/birdcage/3363_jeremyo_edh.jpg

this one was, right upto the 1990's, following departmental service..

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/birdcage/3363_jeremyo_edh.jpg

Are you sure that's not the 'Gulf Red' they used on ( a selection of ) departmental vehicles ? ............. but that's not one of the 60' vehicles anyway - most, if not all of which WOULD have retained B.R. red to the end : so the question is whether the end came before or after the late crest came along .......... or is it close enough for you to get away with Rule 1 without anyone doubting you ??!?

Are you sure that's not the 'Gulf Red' they used on ( a selection of ) departmental vehicles ? ............. but that's not one of the 60' vehicles anyway - most, if not all of which WOULD have retained B.R. red to the end : so the question is whether the end came before or after the late crest came along .......... or is it close enough for you to get away with Rule 1 without anyone doubting you ??!?

The remains of the paint on DS 22 ( formerly 3363 ) is very faded departmental ' olive '.

When this image was taken by Jeremy Ovenden the coach had been in open storage for 20 years.

• Like 2

The remains of the paint on DS 22 ( formerly 3363 ) is very faded departmental ' olive '.

When this image was taken by Jeremy Ovenden the coach had been in open storage for 20 years.

The early BR departmental olive green faded to a brown "bauxitey" colour fairly quickly. The later batches faded more slowly to the colour shown on the photo of DS22.

Martin

(someone who has painted 12":1 foot scale vehicles in BR olive green!)

The early BR departmental olive green faded to a brown "bauxitey" colour fairly quickly. The later batches faded more slowly to the colour shown on the photo of DS22.

Martin

(someone who has painted 12":1 foot scale vehicles in BR olive green!)

Maybe 'gulf' red was actually read-mixed faded B.R. olive ( 'bauxite' or not ) ? ........................... who cares anyway ?  -  3363 looks FAR better, now, in ( unfaded ) Maunsell green ! ( I suppose it's a shame Hornby didn't chose to repaint 1263 to match !!?! )

I think that some of the birdcages have been preserved. If British Railways did not repaint them green they would have remained crimson when the H class got a late crest and electricity warning labels.

The last 60ft birdcage 3-set was withdrawn in October 1958 (set 620) while the BR crimson set modelled by Bachmann (595) went in July 1958.  SR locos received the late crest from March 1957 so in theory there was an overlap but I think electrification labels were post 1958 (1959?).

Only one of the 60ft birdcages survives in preservation - BT 3410.  It is, as yet, unrestored and needs a lot of work!

None of the sets were repainted in Southern Region green.  Most were withdrawn in crimson though some probably ended their days still in re-varnished malachite green.

Chris KT  

Bluebell Railway have 1061 and 3363 on its books so there is more than one still around.

Yes but I said there is only one 60ft birdcage surviving.  I think there are around 6 preserved birdcage brakes altogether but apart from 3410 they are all 54ft or less so not as modelled by Bachmann.

Chris KT

Yes but I said there is only one 60ft birdcage surviving.  I think there are around 6 preserved birdcage brakes altogether but apart from 3410 they are all 54ft or less so not as modelled by Bachmann.

Chris KT

........ and the shorter vehicles were withdrawn earlier so many wouldn't have made it into red either .............. apart from those heavily rebuilt for the Isle of Widget, of course.

• RMweb Premium

Apologies, I was unaware the Birdcage coaches were built in two different lengths.  I haven't really paid much attention to the type as I am not buying any until the price gets discounted significantly and judging by how many are still in the shops, I am not the only one playing the wait and see game on these.

• RMweb Gold

Which RTR SECR thread am I reading here?

You aren’t. This thread is titled “ex-SECR/SR/BR(S) Wainwright H Class”. After a member posted a pic of his BR late-crest version, I questioned the reality of it running with crimson birdcages, and that remains in some doubt. Lovely locos need matching trains to set them off, and such a discussion is commonplace.