Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

How do you fit a front coupling on one of these? A coupling in NEM pocket is supplied, but there's no obvious place to put it. The instructions show a model with coupling already fitted, but the drawing isn't too clear—does the air tank (I asssume that's what the lump under the front end is) need to be removed?

• RMweb Gold

How do you fit a front coupling on one of these? A coupling in NEM pocket is supplied, but there's no obvious place to put it. The instructions show a model with coupling already fitted, but the drawing isn't too clear—does the air tank (I asssume that's what the lump under the front end is) need to be removed?

Yes - Hornby pioneered this with the Pull-Push fitted M7. Those of us running the H with a Maunsell Pull-Push set will probably not bother. 

• RMweb Gold

The air tank is a separate piece sitting in the NEM pocket. Just remove it and add the coupling.

I have ordered a Southern H class and I think it is being held up by the Chinese new year celebrations. I have not seen anyone mention a day in March so perhaps we will get some more information when it is aboard a ship.

Meanwhile I have stuck the boiler dome back on my SE&CR H class with superglue. After Hornby fitted a new motor it is running better than my late crest BR black version.

Although the wait for the Southern version is frustrating there were some teething problems with some of the early Hornby SE&CR H class locomotives which I think Hornby will have sorted out now so the Southern version should run well.

post-17621-0-88957500-1519744342_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I have ordered a Southern H class and I think it is being held up by the Chinese new year celebrations. I have not seen anyone mention a day in March so perhaps we will get some more information when it is aboard a ship.

Meanwhile I have stuck the boiler dome back on my SE&CR H class with superglue. After Hornby fitted a new motor it is running better than my late crest BR black version.

Although the wait for the Southern version is frustrating there were some teething problems with some of the early Hornby SE&CR H class locomotives which I think Hornby will have sorted out now so the Southern version should run well.

You were brave sticking it back on with super glue. Under wrong conditions, that can leave a white smear thanks to its gases (remove quickly with cotton bud and white spirit it it happens).

• RMweb Gold

As will the Collectors' club Bluebell version (I hope).

You were brave sticking it back on with super glue. Under wrong conditions, that can leave a white smear thanks to its gases (remove quickly with cotton bud and white spirit it it happens).

I put some glue on a sheet of cardboard and then dipped a small screwdriver in the glue and applied a couple of drops to the boiler dome. It has stayed on so far.

• RMweb Gold

Exclusively available to Hornby Collector Club members - the stunning Bluebell Railway SECR, ‘H’ Class locomotive, No. 263 which was at centre of the Hornby area during the 2017 Warley Model Railway Exhibition and is complete with etched brass header boards as shown.

I noticed online that the Club Exclusive description (which makes little sense) will come complete "with etched brass header boards as shown".  Needless to say the two images shown do not include header boards, but a picture from Warley can be seen here.

Would be surprising to see these included, even in an accessory pack?

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Like 1

Use odorless superglue  and there is no gas to leave a white smear .You can use it on clear as well .

I noticed online that the Club Exclusive description (which makes little sense) will come complete "with etched brass header boards as shown".  Needless to say the two images shown do not include header boards, but a picture from Warley can be seen here.

Would be surprising to see these included, even in an accessory pack?

That would certainly be a pleasant addition. Personally, I am more interested to know if the model will come with the extra pipework around the front of the cab and the additional cab roof lining (if that is even possible). 

"bluebellModelrailway" has a great YouTube video that shows the addition of these details to 308 here.

That would certainly be a pleasant addition. Personally, I am more interested to know if the model will come with the extra pipework around the front of the cab and the additional cab roof lining (if that is even possible). 

"bluebellModelrailway" has a great YouTube video that shows the addition of these details to 308 here.

The cab pipe work is possible they have it on the BR and SR versions, the roof lining, what I was told at Warley by Hornby was it was not possible to achieve it... it is difficult I must admit having done mine... but that was back in November not sure if it's changed. Personally I expect you will get 307 with a different number and a few extra boiler parts and rivets.

Thanks for sharing my video  :)

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway

Have the riveted smokebox rear and door surround been pointed out to them? In addition to the extra pipework by the cab?

As I suggested above, 263 should be a BR condition loco in SECR livery (minus any pull-push related equipment).

Out of interest, what is the extra pipe for? I can't work it out from pictures of the cab inside.

Cab roof green and lining - a pity of they can't do it, especially given the achievements elsewhere (which I would say exceed the level of finesse achieved by Bachmann on 592). BUT I would say minor compromise, AND prototypical for the loco during its previous ticket: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/loco_news/10/263_cabroof_derekh_24jan10.jpg

Further question - is the cab lining historically correct, given 263 didn't have it when first repainted by the Bluebell?

The cab pipe work is possible they have it on the BR and SR versions, the roof lining, what I was told at Warley by Hornby was it was not possible to achieve it... it is difficult I must admit having done mine... but that was back in November not sure if it's changed. Personally I expect you will get 307 with a different number and a few extra boiler parts and rivets.

Thanks for sharing my video  :)

Thanks for the info.

I'm not surprised about the roof lining - to print on all four sides, including curves, and to have them all be in alignment to match with one another seems excessively challenging. You certainly have my admiration for achieving it free-hand!

Thanks for the info.

I'm not surprised about the roof lining - to print on all four sides, including curves, and to have them all be in alignment to match with one another seems excessively challenging. You certainly have my admiration for achieving it free-hand!

Yes was a challenge, but wasn't too bad, in fact I made an error as the rear edge is blank and not lined... easy enough to fix. I would hope as they looked at 263 originally before doing the H they would of taken note of various differences. For me, I knew there was a possibility of 263, especially with the collectors club which was a possibly going ahead... but I just didn't see the point in joining then paying rrp when I could do it for £10 so not bad for a total of £95. Bit of time and patients.

Perhaps we should be asking you, Jack  -  March will get to you sooner than it reaches the rest of us !

:jester:

Must be March down there by now ...... any sign ?

I come to you from the future, at the time of writing it is 9:46am, March 1st 2018. No sign of the H Class yet, I must say I am full of disappointment.

:jester:

I come to you from the future, at the time of writing it is 9:46am, March 1st 2018. No sign of the H Class yet, I must say I am full of disappointment.

You have just 30 more chances to go for this month :jester: next round tomorrow :sarcastichand:, or is it now 29 chances, lost counting on the other side. :scratchhead:

Edited by Cor-onGRT4

30 more days, although it depends where you are, the UK is +12, -1 but a day behind, I think. Depending on Daylight Saving.

Which it is.

Or is't...

:scratchhead:

Edited by Jack P

As I suggested above, 263 should be a BR condition loco in SECR livery (minus any pull-push related equipment).

Not exactly BR condition if the model represents it in its current state ( which I guess IS the idea ) ..... don't forget that 263 started life as a flat-bunker loco and only received a flare in BR days - which it carried into its early Bluebell period : BUT this wasn't the 'standard' flare and sort of 'grew out of' the bunker side - as if someone had modified the existing plating with a big 'ammer ! [ Its current bunker top is a lot neater and nobody would know it wasn't original ......... except us ! ]