Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

Hmm, I would still say that the body isn't sitting right on the chassis from the picture. If it were me I would have a go at getting the body off and putting it back on again - problem is that although its quite simple to do, its not that easy to describe in words.

I think you may well be right here, the downward slope of the buffers on the first set of pics also indicates the chassis isn't properly engaged with the body.

Releasing the chassis on these is, like many things, easy when you know how, and a right b.....r  when you don't! Most modern Hornby coaches work in the same way, if you turn the coach upside down there are four translucent clips in the corners, which are part of the glazing mouldings. Release each clip in turn by gentle pressure on the end of the clip with a small flat blade screwdriver and that corner of the chassis should lift up a bit. Do each one and the chassis should release. 

John.

Thanks guys - I’m worried if I try any harder to get the body off the underframe the thing will crunch into pieces. Since I also have the extreme lateral movement on the loco chassis - and I bothered to buy it retail - I’m going to let Gaugemaster sweat over this one. I don’t pay retail for this nonsense. If I didn’t have warranty I would keep at it though.

Will be interesting to find out how your guys’ sets turn out - I hope you are lucky.

I’ll be at Gaugemaster again tomorrow - and I’ll inspect a set before I take another one away.

T.

Thanks guys - I’m worried if I try any harder to get the body off the underframe the thing will crunch into pieces. Since I also have the extreme lateral movement on the loco chassis - and I bothered to buy it retail - I’m going to let Gaugemaster sweat over this one. I don’t pay retail for this nonsense. If I didn’t have warranty I would keep at it though.

Will be interesting to find out how your guys’ sets turn out - I hope you are lucky.

I’ll be at Gaugemaster again tomorrow - and I’ll inspect a set before I take another one away.

T.

Quite right too, if you're going there let them sort it out!

John.

Don't bode well I fear

FWIW, I bought the Pull-Push set R4534A (set 616)  off tinternet, advertised as new, but suspiciously cheap at £52 for a 'buy it now'.

I eventually found the fault, the end steps had been stuck on upside down.

Maybe, in the past, the major manufacturers identified production faults and 'seconded' them accordingly? I am only speculating but it does seem that poor production seems more prevalent than it was five years ago.

Gee lucky you - I just opened a retail new Hornby b17 and two wheels were clearly bent out of shape. I am not having a good Hornby week!

My new O gauge wagons are also damaged. I’m cursed....

When the next boxes arrive I’ll be pouring myself a stiff one to better cope.

The h class sets I’ve looked at we’re all from one place and the other items I mentioned were from another big well known online place. The latter were at least very helpful and gave the impression of caring. Not sure what I should say about the former with the h class sets. I don’t think they cared that all their stock was screwed.

• Like 1

Gave it a quick run around a basic "train set" oval and it was sweet as anything. That's using a proper controller (Gaugemaster) rather than the train set one.

Surprised how light it is. By comparison the Bachmann L&Y 2-4-2T is like a brick. No problem pulling or pushing it's train though.

Jason

Just received my train pack.

First of all the visuals. Nothing appeared missing or broken, though on the driving brake the footboards were slightly bent down on the right hand ends on both sides. Was it a fault? Yes. Was I bothered? No. Interestingly, the same fault was there on my two other pull-push driver brakes - clearly a design fault.

The loco itself was little different from 31518, though I was very pleased to see that the correct 'stepped' buffers had been fitted as per the original.  Unfortunately, the distinctive later pattern chimney had not replaced the early pattern taller, thinner type. Photos of 31551 from early 1961 show that it had this type of chimney for at least its last four years. As this does alter the look of the loco I think I may have to marry the Hornby chimney top with the SE Finecast body. Oh well.

Secondly, the operation. As I had bought this from Colletts who emphasise they test every loco before despatch I was not unduly worried. It ran well from the start but had a pronounced twist to starboard that made the loco look like it was trying to 'crab'. On inspection I found a sanding pipe bearing on the front driver, and the 5degree twist was reduced to a more acceptable 2 degrees or so. Personally I think there's far too much play for what is basically a short-wheelbase 0-4-0. Were some washers omitted at some point?

In conclusion, it's a lovely little model, only let down by the wrong chimney and excessive side play. As I feel a certain proprietorial affection for this number (my first dateable railway memory) I have to say that Hornby have done a superb job on what is quite a complicated and characterful tank loco. Just a pity that no-one told them that the chimney wasn't the one carried in later BR days when it was lasered!

Just noticed that 31551 doesn't have an air tank beneath the front running plate. Was this because of complaints that 31518 didn't have a front NEM pocket or because 31551 sometimes ran with units usually paired with other locos? (31551 faced the opposite direction to her shedmates who all faced London).

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed that 31551 doesn't have an air tank beneath the front running plate. Was this because of complaints that 31518 didn't have a front NEM pocket or because 31551 sometimes ran with units usually paired with other locos? (31551 faced the opposite direction to her shedmates who all faced London).

The air tank is part of the pull-push gear, which 31551 didn't have, so far as I know *.

John

EDIT: * Borne out in the 1959 abc.

Have Hornby dropped one by putting this loco in the train pack or did it acquire the p/p equipment later?

Edited by Dunsignalling

The air tank is part of the pull-push gear, which 31551 didn't have, so far as I know *.

John

Have Hornby dropped one by putting this loco in the train pack or did it acquire the p/p equipment later?

Well it certainly was p/p fitted when I saw it at Gravesend Central in 1961!

By this time I think the only non-P/P were the two Kensington Olympia locos.

Edited by Chuffed 1

Have you looked in the bag? As mine is in there.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Gratuitous pic time (apologies for graininess):

post-6714-0-86759800-1528392675.jpg

Apparently these are a limited edition:

post-6714-0-52318300-1528392697.jpg

All seems OK with regards to chassis, etc.

:)

John

It's definitely fitted with p/p.

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/hclass_03.html

Jason

Gents

I have done a wee bit of what could loosely be called detective work this morning and I have found an undated photo of 31551 carrying a 70A shed plate without auto gear (here), the BRDatabase tells me that she was allocated to Nine Elms on and off from Jan 1948 to May 1954 (with a couple of moves to Redhill and back), she then went to Stewarts Lane until Oct 1960 when she moved to Tonbridge. I suspect that the auto gear would have been fitted around this time although I cannot find any documentation to support this. She then moved between Tonbridge, Three Bridges and Tunbridge Wells West until withdrawn in 1964, which is during the time Chuffed 1 saw her at Gravesend.

Hope this is helpfully.

Is it provided in the bits bag or is it completely missing? Being a P/P loco, it should come with the air tank otherwise it ain't gonna work.

Gents

I have done a wee bit of what could loosely be called detective work this morning and I have found an undated photo of 31551 carrying a 70A shed plate without auto gear (here), the BRDatabase tells me that she was allocated to Nine Elms on and off from Jan 1948 to May 1954 (with a couple of moves to Redhill and back), she then went to Stewarts Lane until Oct 1960 when she moved to Tonbridge. I suspect that the auto gear would have been fitted around this time although I cannot find any documentation to support this. She then moved between Tonbridge, Three Bridges and Tunbridge Wells West until withdrawn in 1964, which is during the time Chuffed 1 saw her at Gravesend.

Hope this is helpfully.

Had a quick look in Bradley last night and '551 got the auto gear quite late - '61 I think - but certainly after the '59 ABC. I'd guess the gear came off a withdrawn loco and that '551 received the later logo at the same time : pure supposition.