Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

Is this a case of this fault will manifest itself close to straight away (when replacements are available), or a 6 months time when Hornby are sold out?

Can the capacitor be removed on DC? Aside from interference with radio equipment, is there any other effect?

Edited by G-BOAF

I had a similar problem with my first H from the first batch, also full Wainwright livery.

That took longer for it to start smoking on my layout at an exhibition and did not damage the body.

My retailer was standing in front of the layout and saw it happen. It was returned it to Hornby who replaced the motor.

RB

• RMweb Gold

That's strange. I'm sure I didn't have a problem and the body went back on mine and it was running fine but will have to have a check now you've said that. Unfortunately I can't at the moment as every thing is packed away as old layout has been demolished and a new one is (eventually) going to be be constructed in my new shed. However that may not be for some time. :rolleyes:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/05/2019 at 11:33, wainwright1 said:

Hi All.

Received my Hornby Collector Club H Class yesterday. Looked very nice and was well finished. The two headboards enclosed are a nice touch.

Took it down to the club to give it a test run. It ran a bit, stuttered and started, stalled and then I noticed it smoking. Took it off and brought it home.

Checked it this morning and noticed that the area behind the dome had started to melt. Also noticed that one of the front sand pipes was half broken off.

It seems that Hornby still have a problem with these motors.

Spoke to the repair section this morning and will have it collected for replacement.

The very helpful lady on the phone said that she had only one other faulty one reported, although they have only been sending them out the last couple of days.

RB

Not certain if this is of help but I had issues aith an "H" when new and resolved it as in the attached link.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133623-Hornby-h-class-motor-gear-binding/&tab=comments#comment-3142862

An informed sourced has advised me that Hornby received these locos before Christmas and have spent the time since then replacing the motors !

Apparently a lot of the motors from the original batch, the push pull set and now these were poorly assembled. Also seems that the replacement motors that they have been using are are a bit dodgy.

Anyone else heard about this ?

RB

• Like 1

On 03/06/2019 at 10:41, wainwright1 said:

An informed sourced has advised me that Hornby received these locos before Christmas and have spent the time since then replacing the motors !

Apparently a lot of the motors from the original batch, the push pull set and now these were poorly assembled. Also seems that the replacement motors that they have been using are are a bit dodgy.

RB

Debatable. Have Hornby even got the resources to replace thousands of motors on models?

If there was a fault then they would be in the next container back to China or straight into the recycling bin.

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Debatable. Have Hornby even got the resources to replace thousands of motors on models?

If there was a fault then they would be in the next container back to China or straight into the recycling bin.

Jason

While Hornby themselves probably don’t have the resources that doesn’t mean they cannot ship them back to China for remedial work.

IIRC Bachmann have had to do this in the past with some of their products.

Having to return models to China for re-working, (ie replacing dodgy motors) may well be the reason behind the protracted delivery dates for the R3631 (general release) and R3648 (Club model) H class locos.  

Its not unusual for companies having goods manufactured for them in China to have to return production due to the substitution of cheaper, out of spec or completely unsuitable components that have been fitted due to lack of stock of the correct item or to divert a little more profit to the Chinese manufacturers.

• Agree 1

On 03/06/2019 at 10:41, wainwright1 said:

RB

I've certainly experienced it! My SECR H went back as it was running extremely hot - luckily still in warranty. It has been OK since but I've not been able to trust it to leave it running for a long time. The BR H never ran brilliantly but didn't suffer from the heat - until it went in a puff of smoke. Currently at Hornby being repaired - hopefully it will return a better runner. A real shame for such outwardly fantastic locos.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have had another testing session with my original S.E.C.R H which had the motor replaced and the Southern liveried one which did not display any problems. Both seem o.k. Mind you this is only running forwards and backwards on a fairly short length of track.

The new S.E.C.R  was collected on Monday. They are supposed to be replacing it, but have not heard anything yet.

RB

• 3 weeks later...

You will be pleased to see that the cycling lion version of the H class has now arrived at Hattons and Rails. Rails have sent me one that I ordered on 23 March 2018 so I am looking forward to running it. I vaguely remember being hauled by one from Ashford to New Romney on our annual holidays in the 1950s.

• Like 3

And here is mine next to the push pull version (needing a good dusting! The set up of this new H is how 263 should have been (bunker aside). I,m sure early photos of this model had the stepped buffers rather than the tapered ones supplied. 

There was a piece loose in the box upon opening which turned out to be an extra spare sliding roof vent. Some pics comparing both:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

Being the huge fan of variety that I am, would 31265 be a simple re-number into 1947 condition, or does the flat sided bunker (or something else) preclude this?

No problem - a number of Hs* were built with flat sided bunkers and all seem to have kept them into BR days ....... some, at least, then received flares WITHOUT BASAL BEADING. ( And, as we know, the Bluebell took one of these, added beading and painted it in Wainwright livery just to confuse us ! )

* 1908 batch I think

In a scene similar to Appledore station in Kent my H class arrives with a couple of birdcage coaches. Travelling via Appledore to New Romney in 1955 was one of my earliest experiences of train travel. In the last leg of the journey the locomotive seemed to skip along the track and the telegraph wires appeared to go up and down outside. I remember the carriage prints and the leather straps to open the windows.

004.JPG

• Like 5

I ran my H class with a rake of birdcage coaches at the Wimborne Railway Society test track. I was pleased, at last, to have an ex SECR locomotive in BR cycling lion locomotive to run with my BR crimson coaches. It was also interesting to see a Hornby locomotive matching a rake of Bachmann coaches.

006.JPG

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I ran my H class with a rake of birdcage coaches at the Wimborne Railway Society test track. I was pleased, at last, to have an ex SECR locomotive in BR cycling lion locomotive to run with my BR crimson coaches. It was also interesting to see a Hornby locomotive matching a rake of Bachmann coaches.

006.JPG

Yes a nice match - even if the guys in the background don't seem too impressed !

• Funny 1

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 09:59, Wickham Green said:

No problem - a number of Hs* were built with flat sided bunkers and all seem to have kept them into BR days ....... some, at least, then received flares WITHOUT BASAL BEADING. ( And, as we know, the Bluebell took one of these, added beading and painted it in Wainwright livery just to confuse us ! )

* 1908 batch I think

Nos 263/5/6/74/6/8 and 530/1/2/3 were built with straight sided bunkers for an abortive pull-push system. Some were equipped with flared bunkers by BR (probably off scrapped class members) and 31278 lasted  unchanged until  withdrawn in October 1962.

263, as per the collectors club model, received its flaring in BR days, so strictly speaking, the model is only authentic as per post-1978 preservation days.

Edited by Chuffed 1
Additional information

• 1 month later...

As I mentioned in another thread. My partner just purchased r3631 for me as a new job present. Not had a chance to run her yet.  She does look the part and is different from my other 2 BR versions. Now along with my other 2 H classes and 2 Bachmann 3MT’s I think I’m now sorted for passenger services on my Romney Marsh BLT. Although I might be tempted by the other early crest Hornby version 31177 when she becomes available. As I think the H class and the Hattons P class are to of the best looking RTR releases in the last couple of years. 

Big James 

• Like 2