Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

Indeed .......... and until the Trade come up with a ready to run Wainwright 'J' - or rebuilt railmotor pull & push set p'raps -  I guess we'll always have a few things to chivy them about.

Don't know what happened there ..... I seem to have an echo ... echo .... echo .... echo .... 

Edited by Wickham Green
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Seconded, but the Wartime Black H was something I really wanted to see so I'm pleased with that announcement at least! Otherwise all a bit dull on the SR front this year from Hornby. 

Maybe a bit dull on the Hornby SR front (though there are 4 more merchant navies and good few terriers) but we have been gifted with the delightful D class from Rails anyway. And those 2-HAPs from blue box (and more class 33s). Enough to keep my spending going.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Maybe a bit dull on the Hornby SR front (though there are 4 more merchant navies and good few terriers) but we have been gifted with the delightful D class from Rails anyway. And those 2-HAPs from blue box (and more class 33s). Enough to keep my spending going.

The only newly announced Merchant Navy in the 2020 range is the Limited Edition Centenary range Clan Line (although of course delivery of some of those already announced in past years is still to occur) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Very much looking forward to the D Class!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I recently obtained an SECR liveried H class through the 'bay (in fact from someone I know quite well on here).

It's almost brand new, nothing wrong with it at all but when I opened the box there were a couple of loose parts. These were not part of the detailing pack which was still sealed.

One was the roof vent and that was easily refitted.

The other was this:

734816251_SAM_4475r.jpg.aede1fef93bcaafcbd7b5d868b4c3f01.jpg

It's about 5mm across, moulded in the brown colour of the frame and running gear. I've looked all round the loco and scanned a few YouTube videos but I can't work out where it should go...

Can you help?

Edited by Harlequin

9 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I recently obtained an SECR liveried H class through the 'bay

It's about 5mm across, moulded in the brown colour of the frame and running gear. I've looked all round the loco and scanned a few YouTube videos but I can't work out where it should go...

I've checked my SR H and, unless this was peculiar to the SECR livery, I agree with @Sarahagain

• Thanks 1

So, possibly a 'scale' rail chair, designed to have fine section 'Bull Head' type rail threaded through, with the moulded 'key' completing the look?

C&L make several types of rail chairs, similar in appearance...

https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/3-Bolt-Chair-Pack-of-250-p124696055

IMG_20200701_083204.jpg.678a53db58995ceac9310d397103ffa6.jpg

It could be that the eBay seller has some home-assembled track, and a stray rail chair has found its way into the loco box?

Maybe it would be an idea to ask the seller?

Edited by Sarahagain
more added
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, truffy said:

I've checked my SR H and, unless this was peculiar to the SECR livery, I agree with @Sarahagain

11 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

So, possibly a 'scale' rail chair, designed to have fine section 'Bull Head' type rail threaded through, with the moulded 'key' completing the look?

C&L make several types of rail chairs, similar in appearance...

https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/3-Bolt-Chair-Pack-of-250-p124696055

IMG_20200701_083204.jpg.678a53db58995ceac9310d397103ffa6.jpg

It could be that the eBay seller has some home-assembled track, and a stray rail chair has found its way into the loco box?

Maybe it would be an idea to ask the seller?

Ah! Click! Now it makes sense. Yes, you're right - he was building track using C&L chairs. And in fact, now I look at it in daylight, the plastic is a slightly different colour than the other brown detail parts.

So case solved! Thank you very much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/07/2020 at 16:14, Kaput said:

Don't suppose anyone knows a suitable replacement for the spring from the rear bogie? I seem to have misplaced mine :(

I looked at 2 of mine and I'm not sure it even has a spring there. 

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just having a proper test run of my SECR H Class (263).

The rear bogie appears to be riding a bit high and as a result the second driving axle is not touching the track. Is there a fix for this? I read somewhere about filing down the screw that holds the bogie to the chassis, but can't remember where I saw this (or if I'm imagining things)

Also there are a couple of nicks in the paint on the metal running plate (why is metal always more fragile in terms of paint than plastic, and why to Hornby insist on hard plastic for their packaging rather than 'soft' expanded polystyrene). There is also a slight rub mark on the rear of the bunker from rubbing contact with the packaging....

Can anyone recommend a colour match to the SECR muddy red (frame colour), bright red (lining) and yellow lining?

2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

The rear bogie appears to be riding a bit high and as a result the second driving axle is not touching the track. Is there a fix for this? I read somewhere about filing down the screw that holds the bogie to the chassis, but can't remember where I saw this (or if I'm imagining things)

Also there are a couple of nicks in the paint on the metal running plate (why is metal always more fragile in terms of paint than plastic, and why to Hornby insist on hard plastic for their packaging rather than 'soft' expanded polystyrene). There is also a slight rub mark on the rear of the bunker from rubbing contact with the packaging....

Can anyone recommend a colour match to the SECR muddy red (frame colour), bright red (lining) and yellow lining?

Hornby changed years ago to mostly polystyrene free packaging (only railroad range left) . Personally I don't like that packaging as stuff can get snagged in it and subsequently brake off. Normally any surface in contact with the model has a sticky backed foam pad in that area of the ice cube tray. 

Paint wise I'd recommend Phoenix SECR Frame Red.  Fox transfers do yellow lining transfers of different thickneses. 

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

There's a washer in the rear bogie assembly, which (for me at least) was part of the issue. 
Since removing, they both run very sweetly. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jack P said:

There's a washer in the rear bogie assembly, which (for me at least) was part of the issue. 
Since removing, they both run very sweetly. 

Thanks. I will have an explore tomorrow evening....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Expended polystyrene might look soft but it is quite abrasive. I have had more issues with paint rubbing off due to them than the current ice cube packaging.

When I broke a sand pipe off and glued it back on, I managed to match the red colour by using Humbrol rust paint colour.

8 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Expended polystyrene might look soft but it is quite abrasive. I have had more issues with paint rubbing off due to them than the current ice cube packaging.

When I broke a sand pipe off and glued it back on, I managed to match the red colour by using Humbrol rust paint colour.

What is going on with me? Aside from the slight paint dings on the running plate, I thought my H class was fine when I received in 2019. Now having had time to inspect and run it properly I find the bogie lifting issue.

Furthermore, I have JUST notice that the steps to the front running plate are missing (on both sides). They are not in the bag of extras, nor is there any sign they were ever attached to the model (i.e. it left the factory like that)

I've emailed Hornby but fully expect a 'we don't have spares' answer (despite the fact they must have a number of faulty returns they could break down, especially of the early models which went 'bang')

Yes model is outside warranty, but this isn't a warranty issue, this is a failure to supply a complete item...

What are my options....????

EDIT - I should probably not pre-judge Hornby and will feedback on the answer from their spares department...

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I judged too soon!

Hornby have sourced missing steps and they are on their way to me.

I've very very suprised and delighted at this! (I mean it is the minimum they should do if a part was missing/damaged in the factory, but in times past similar problems went unresolved by them).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 29/10/2017 at 23:57, mikesndbs said:

Right got fed right up with this and felt bad for the little thing so investigated at a very deep level, the following issues were found. Some kind of blue blobs of plasticy stuff had been dropped onto the front of the fly wheel (yep these have one) blobs were proud of the face of the flywheel and could be seen to have scraped the inside face of the smoke box door. Blue blobs removed. 

Bought the train pack 3 years ago, and it has been running fine till today when the loco was clearly struggling going forward. Not too bad in reverse.  So decided to remove the body to have a closer look, and found a large piece of blue sticky stuff (blu-tak?) on the flywheel at the front. Where on earth did that come from? So really pleased to find that it wasn't just me! Offending stuff removed and the loco now runs fine. The stuff was very soft so perhaps that's due to it being really warm the last couple of days. 

Just removed the small black washer between the bogie and chassis. Now the rear drivers are sitting true on the track.

However now the rear bogie axle is skipping on some track undulations. What do i need to adjust to correct this? Ive already added a drop of oil to the offending axle. Might the pickups be too tight?

• 6 months later...