Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

On 05/06/2021 at 23:01, RFS said:

Bought the train pack 3 years ago, and it has been running fine till today when the loco was clearly struggling going forward. Not too bad in reverse.  So decided to remove the body to have a closer look, and found a large piece of blue sticky stuff (blu-tak?) on the flywheel at the front. Where on earth did that come from? So really pleased to find that it wasn't just me! Offending stuff removed and the loco now runs fine. The stuff was very soft so perhaps that's due to it being really warm the last couple of days. 

I'm glad to see comments like these as I'm likely to opt for a `H` (R3539 or R3631) in the next few days, so I'll be taking a look inside the loco, given the reports of issues and in case there is a problem with the motor or something else.

On 15/07/2022 at 21:16, Merchant Navy said:

I'm glad to see comments like these as I'm likely to opt for a `H` (R3539 or R3631) in the next few days, so I'll be taking a look inside the loco, given the reports of issues and in case there is a problem with the motor or something else.

Be careful not to break the front sand pipes off when removing and (more importantly) when putting back the body.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 15/07/2022 at 20:16, Merchant Navy said:

Just had one of these pass through my hands for repair, it was the SECR liveried R3648 - which seem to command quite a premium on ebay, if you can find a buyer.

The motor was playing up - stoppong/starting and smoking quite badly after stalling.  Suggested over lubrication, but the owner confirmed that he had never been near it with the 3in1!

Opening it up, I found the gear train had been basted with the white grease (silicone) that Hornby use during manufacture.  

So much grease had been used it had found its way into the motor and onto the brushes and commutator.  Judicious removel of the excess, followed by a slosh of IPA and an extended period of running in saw the motor back to smooth running and a relieved owner.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Round of applause 1