Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

If I understand the announcement correctly, the PP set will be the existing a 1959 BR-converted one, why would you want that in Olive Green? 

John

Goodness, yes, why would anyone want to model the pre-Nationalisation scene?  More BR Era only coaches.  Wonderful. 

• RMweb Gold

We have been a little spoilt for LSWR stuff in recent years though - even tank locos. Lets see:

Tanks Engines:

M7

Adams Radial 4-4-2 (by two manufactuers)

O2 (that's two 0-4-4 types for the LSWR)

Beattie Well tank

and still the Dapol dock tank to come

Tender Engines:

T9

N15

And don't forget the 4 LSWR coaches recently released by Hornby with Kernow push pull stock and a break van on the way.

Where as us poor south eastern modelers have had:

R1 Wrenn (rather obsolete!)

N class

C class

(and 1 terrier recently in SECR wainwright colours)

Soon to come 3 birdcage coaches.

So the H really helps to catch up!!

And presumably Hornby keep revisiting the Eastleigh well because it has been consistently rewarding for them so to do. 

Ashford has undoubtedly been neglected by Hornby but it also has to be asked why, given the popularity of their N, it took Bachmann two decades to get round to a second SECR prototype.

Then again, until they started dabbling in EMUs, their attitude to anything Southern has never been better than half-hearted.

As the man said, great news on the Hornby H, it should be very popular.

John

• RMweb Gold

Goodness, yes, why would anyone want to model the pre-Nationalisation scene?  More BR Era only coaches.  Wonderful. 

Why indeed? :devil:

I was merely pointing out that Hornby don't appear to be promising anything more than an existing product with new numbers.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

And presumably Hornby keep revisiting the Eastleigh well because it has been consistently rewarding for them so to do. 

Ashford has undoubtedly been neglected by Hornby but it also has to be asked why, given the popularity of their N, it took Bachmann two decades to get round to a second SECR prototype.

Then again, until they started dabbling in EMUs, their attitude to anything Southern has never been better than half-hearted.

As the man said, great news on the Hornby H, it should be very popular.

John

There was a Lord Nelson from Bachmann too.

Hornby's initial southern EMU wasn't so great (Networker), but at least the VEP, Bil, Hal and 5BEL were at least fairly good, if not very good in some cases.

I wonder if Hornby's H class will come out at the same time as Bachmann's birdcage coaches.

My main interest is the Swanage Railway but I was brought up in Orpington and I have fond memories of an H class locomotive taking our train from Ashford to New Romney for our summer holiday. At the time I thought you could only get to the seaside by train. British Railways also used them on the Westerham branch and an H class is also preserved on the Bluebell line. I will probably buy one.

• RMweb Gold

There was a Lord Nelson from Bachmann too.

Hornby's initial southern EMU wasn't so great (Networker), but at least the VEP, Bil, Hal and 5BEL were at least fairly good, if not very good in some cases.

True, but the Nelson was inherited and probably wouldn't have seen the light of day at all if they had needed to do it from scratch.

I must admit that, from my own viewpoint, EMUs (the "Belle" aside) need to have been introduced covered in green paint in order to qualify as "Southern". :jester:

John

If I understand the announcement correctly, the PP set will be the existing a 1959 BR-converted one, why would you want that in Olive Green? 

John

...... and the locos only gained PP equipment from 1949 ............

( I'm sure I said that on another thread just now ............. are we working in parallel unverses again ? )

I wonder if Hornby's H class will come out at the same time as Bachmann's birdcage coaches.

My main interest is the Swanage Railway but I was brought up in Orpington and I have fond memories of an H class locomotive taking our train from Ashford to New Romney for our summer holiday. At the time I thought you could only get to the seaside by train. British Railways also used them on the Westerham branch and an H class is also preserved on the Bluebell line. I will probably buy one.

Or possibly Hornby is releasing it with the PP set because that's as much as it will be able to pull?

I have not any means of testing my M7, but I read that others have found it lacks pulling power.  Might not the H Class suffer similar issues?

I hope not.

Very nice for all the Southern lot. 

But back to the North for you Hornby. Much more to do there, so get cracking. 

A, B, C, P, P1, 1001, G6 BTP, 398, G, 901, 1440 plus, lots and lots of hoppers and lots and lots of clerestories.   

Well, a chap can dream ....

A, B, C, P, P1, 1001, G6 BTP, 398, G, 901, 1440 plus, lots and lots of hoppers and lots and lots of clerestories.   

Well, a chap can dream ....

I think the stuff that lasted a little later is where our best bet lies. 

As such I would think that means NER S3/LNER B16, NER P1/LNER J25 and the NER C1/LNER J21 would be very much welcome. The NER P3/LNER J27 I would also think highly likely. 

But the B16 and all its varients if combined and the J21 and J25 if modelled together both overtake the J27 regularly in wish lists. 

Still, let the Southern lot have their moment. However, Hornby should know - we're still watching. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

They seem to have done so on the latest releases of 700s, so that's hopefully a thing of the past.

John

Really? Are there any pictures of the latest batch online with a reasonable view of the handrails?

• RMweb Gold

This certainly makes modelling a South Eastern branch line a whole lot easier. With a C Class and even an E4 - 32580 was a regular in the '50s - then Hawkhurst services could be modelled, albeit coaches are in short supply. The Maunsell p-p sets only appeared a couple of years before closure in 1961. 

I'm not sure about the references to M7. There was hardly any overlap between their traditional territories, so by introducing the H Hornby has no real reason to let the M7 slip, other than multiple versions already being sold. The fact that a loco is Southern does not imply it might be seen anywhere from Margate to Padstow, far from it. With its formation from three pre-Grouping Companies, one of which was itself a recent amalgamation, many of the older locos tended to stay on their former patch until ousted by electrification. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Forgive me for straying from the H discussion for a moment:

Did anyone also notice that the Engine Blog states at the end...

"whilst at the wonderful Bluebell Railway last year, we couldn’t resist taking some snaps of other pieces of railway history as well, but let’s save that for another time shall we?"

I wonder if amongst those other pieces of railway history could be the P class 0-6-0T. A couple of those would go very nicely with the H class, especially if they are in fully lined out Wainwright livery.

Edited by Budgie

This certainly makes modelling a South Eastern branch line a whole lot easier. With a C Class and even an E4 - 32580 was a regular in the '50s - then Hawkhurst services could be modelled, albeit coaches are in short supply. The Maunsell p-p sets only appeared a couple of years before closure in 1961. 

I'm not sure about the references to M7. There was hardly any overlap between their traditional territories, so by introducing the H Hornby has no real reason to let the M7 slip, other than multiple versions already being sold. The fact that a loco is Southern does not imply it might be seen anywhere from Margate to Padstow, far from it. With its formation from three pre-Grouping Companies, one of which was itself a recent amalgamation, many of the older locos tended to stay on their former patch until ousted by electrification. 

Indeed. The various pre-grouping companies all had their own quirks in terms of loading gauge etc, so locos from one area/company couldn't necessarily go from say SECR territory to LSWR territory. Theres a whole load written on the subject of composite loading gauges etc.

But it is indeed good to have another Souther/SECR loco. They might even be usable on my Woolwich/Charlton layout that is slowly taking shape (well in templot) as it is planned to be able to represent several eras with changes to scenic items (within reason and a few compromises of course).

Goodness, yes, why would anyone want to model the pre-Nationalisation scene? More BR Era only coaches. Wonderful.

Yep. Grouping and pre-grouping stock would be most welcome. And its just for more "senior" modellers. I'm 31 ;) We're not all into Diesels. So manufacturers would have you believe the railway arrived in 1950! With a few odd prototypes built before by strange companies...

• Like 1

Yep. Grouping and pre-grouping stock would be most welcome. And its just for more "senior" modellers. I'm 31 ;) We're not all into Diesels. So manufacturers would have you believe the railway arrived in 1950! With a few odd prototypes built before by strange companies...

Couldn't agree more. I'm 47.  I wasn't around in the '50s and '60s.  Blue diseasels score a Zero nostalgia rating with me.  There were 125 years of FASCINATING and COLOURFUL railway history before 1950.  Sorry if that comes as a shock to anyone!!!

(please someone explain this to the RTR industry)

M7 and H did overlap on the East Sussex lines, out of Tunbridge Wells West. I remember, as a small boy, watching both classes, from the grandstand at the agricultural show, which used to take place in the area called, logically enough, Showfields, right next to the station, which has been a housing estate since the 1970s

IIRC the M7 were tried and rejected in SR days, but they were certainly there in the late-50s and early 60s. The H supersed the Brighton D3 and D1 quite early, as there was a gradual concentration on fewer classes.

BTW, these lines also had E4 and C, as well as BR Standard 4 tanks (and before them Fairburn tanks), and a lot of other things, some available RTR, some not, and The West had a ludicrously heavy schedule of (largely empty, I guess) trains at this time.

Chapter and verse, funny stories, films, and much, much more here http://thesussexmotivepowerdepots.yolasite.com/tunbridge-wells-west.php (what a fantastic website SMPD is!)

These lines make interesting modelling prototypes, and, of course, the Bluebell collection, from which a lot of manufacturer inspiration is drawn, is centred around locos and stock from these lines.

Now, what is needed is a C2X goods, to complete the trio of long-surviving pre-grouping goods engines for the SR.

This piece of bedtime-reading suggests that Nine Elms had both classes "on the books" during WW2 http://www.semgonline.com/shed_allocations/sr-shed-alloc3.html but I have an inkling that the H there were "fire engines", fitted with pumps for fire-fighting during the Blitz, rather than used in traffic, but doubtless someone will be able to say for sure.

Anyway, I really want someone to make the H in Coarse-0, not 00, so I'm not sure why I'm wittering on.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer