Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

Had a quick look in Bradley last night and '551 got the auto gear quite late - '61 I think - but certainly after the '59 ABC. I'd guess the gear came off a withdrawn loco and that '551 received the later logo at the same time : pure supposition. 

In fact 31551 got P&P gear in September 1960.

Chris KT

In fact 31551 got P&P gear in September 1960.

Chris KT

After the general and p/p fitting allocated to Tonbridge (5th October 1960) and worked the AllHallows branch shuttle until 26th May 1961 when reallocated to Three Budgies, staying there until reallocated to Tunbridge Wells West on 24th September 1962 for almost a year, before reverting to Three Budgies until withdrawal in January 1964.

During this time and indeed for years previously, 31551 faced south or away from London, unlike most of her classmates which faced the opposite direction. This meant that working with set 602 the loco was always running bunker first.

Edited by Chuffed 1

After the general and p/p fitting allocated to Tonbridge (5th October 1960) and worked the AllHallows branch shuttle until 26th May 1961 when reallocated to Three Budgies, staying there until reallocated to Tunbridge Wells West on 24th September 1962 for almost a year, before reverting to Three Budgies until withdrawal in January 1964.

During this time and indeed for years previously, 31551 faced south or away from London, unlike most of her classmates which faced the opposite direction. This meant that working with set 602 the loco was always running bunker first.

They must have got them cheep!

:thankyou:

Jason

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/09/2018 at 17:45, PrestburyJack said:

Just received an e-mail from Hornby:

"Your Hornby Hobbies order is due for delivery on 26th September 2018"

Presumably this is my SECR H class!

I wondered this as well, but the due date remains December having looked online earlier.

My only thought was it could be the Club locomotive (despite saying it wasn’t required)?

Edited by jafcreasey

I got an email this evening, saying that I was to expect a delivery from Hornby Hobbies tomorrow, and I was scratching my head, wondering what I'd ordered from Hornby!

Its probably definitely the free "Club Locomotive".

If so, I might donate its chassis to go under a Smallbrook Studio O16.5 resin loco kit....

http://www.smallbrookstudio.co.uk/kits-parts/4569521210/0e---7mm-Narrow-Gauge

I excitedly opened a pre-delivery email from Hornby (forgetting what I ordered, then wondering if it was the H), to realise it was the Railroad club loco tat.

And what's more I need to be 'in' for delivery (this is an awkward time of year unlike, I don't know, Feb/March when I joined the club and all this should have been sorted). Very tempted to issue instructions that they should just leave it in the bin (for once, appropriate). I can sense this going backwards and forward between courier and Hornby, and costing someone a lot more money than they'd factored. Well done H (not).

If they'd had a voucher option I could have had another £20 off my H Class (or something else) AND had it delivered as a voucher code through the post.

NOT HAPPY. This is a mess

It will be the Club 0-4-0. Someone on the Hornby forum enquired as they had not received theirs. Answer was, we have 3000 to send out, so it's taking a bit of time. I got mine a week ago, preceded by an email.

I see that not only is the 0-4-0 club model highly wanted but will also be rare... Just wait and see the astounding prices these 0-4-0s fetch.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

I excitedly opened a pre-delivery email from Hornby (forgetting what I ordered, then wondering if it was the H), to realise it was the Railroad club loco tat.

And what's more I need to be 'in' for delivery (this is an awkward time of year unlike, I don't know, Feb/March when I joined the club and all this should have been sorted). Very tempted to issue instructions that they should just leave it in the bin (for once, appropriate). I can sense this going backwards and forward between courier and Hornby, and costing someone a lot more money than they'd factored. Well done H (not).

If they'd had a voucher option I could have had another £20 off my H Class (or something else) AND had it delivered as a voucher code through the post.

NOT HAPPY. This is a mess

Likewise!

When applying for The Collector I unticked the option for the 0-4-0 Club locomotive.  Not too long ago I received an email asking whether this was a mistake and whether it was in-fact required – I replied and said it wasn't, so to receive the “order is due for delivery” email yesterday was a surprise...

I’ve not read all the threads discussing financial fitness, etc but yes, it’s instances like this which suggest it is a “mess”.

According to this mornings email, my surprise package is due in the next half hour.

Oh well..

Arrived with 5 minutes to spare, the box felt empty, but on opening did indeed contain R3678 "GWR 0-4-0 Locomotive No. 18 (Collectors Club)". If anything, the packaging feels heavier than the contents!

Are there actually 3000 collectors club members, or are Hornby going to have to liquidate the excess through various retailers?

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

According to this mornings email, my surprise package is due in the next half hour.

Oh well..

Arrived with 5 minutes to spare, the box felt empty, but on opening did indeed contain R3678 "GWR 0-4-0 Locomotive No. 18 (Collectors Club)". If anything, the packaging feels heavier than the contents!

Are there actually 3000 collectors club members, or are Hornby going to have to liquidate the excess through various retailers?

Renewals... play your cards right you might get 2... 2017 and 2018.. and maybe some left in 2019...who knows. Edited by adb968008

Nah, any left in 2019 will be renumbered to.... 19!

I really cannot wait to see if the chassis has improved over Smokey Joe.

Possess yourself with patience, my son!

Actually, the 0-4-0 chassis has become a lot better over the past few years, it no longer leaps forward like a greyhound out of the starting crate, nor does it hurtle around the curves like a mad thing. ie slow and max speed is almost reasonable!

Of course, its not as controllable or refined as the 0-4-0 chassis under the Sentinels or Pecketts, but at a price of a third of those locos, you wouldn't expect it to be.

Possess yourself with patience, my son!

Actually, the 0-4-0 chassis has become a lot better over the past few years, it no longer leaps forward like a greyhound out of the starting crate, nor does it hurtle around the curves like a mad thing. ie slow and max speed is almost reasonable!

Of course, its not as controllable or refined as the 0-4-0 chassis under the Sentinels or Pecketts, but at a price of a third of those locos, you wouldn't expect it to be.

My patience is of course for the 263 SECR H class.

I thought I had ordered 15 locos this year and had forgotten about this Toglas Tin descendent. Price wise, it is free of charge with club membership. No real use for it unless I have kids running the layout. My 30+ year old Smokey Joe is now tired and runs slowly. The wheels worn from all those grand prixs. Kept for no other reason than sentimental memories.

Shunter wise, I brought enough Ps and B4s this year to fulfil those needs for the next few decades and are more apt for running with 263.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Anyone have any issues with the haulage capacity of their H class? I got the Pull-Push set and it seems to struggle a little with its own 2 coaches when there is any sort of tiny incline on the track. Runs perfect on its own.

Ironically my little Peckett seems to manage the coaches better.

Edited by Kaput

Anyone have any issues with the haulage capacity of their H class? I got the Pull-Push set and it seems to struggle a little with its own 2 coaches when there is any sort of tiny incline on the track. Runs perfect on its own.

Ironically my little Peckett seems to manage the coaches better.

Hi, mine does fine and in fact manages 2X 2car sets with ease.

Must be something snagging the bogie wheels or something?

Good luck, let us know if you need a photo comparison etc?

• Like 1

I had to remove the washer on the bogie (IIRC) to make it sit level on the track, mine also boogies from side to side when it's on the rolling road, but when it's got anything behind it, it behaves fine!

OK, well my H class BR black that came with push pull set 602 might have a problem.

Yeah I know surprising for a Hornby model.

She smells carbony, motor brush carbon that is and runs quite warm.

Smooth as you like and not drawing too much current but I am very worried as this was a gift and it could be embarrassing if is goes fut.

Hope you will tell me this is normal, but I doubt you will as the SECR H class I have does not do this.

Thoughts?