Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

I see the next H has been advertised by Hornby, 31177 in as-31518 condition but with cycling lion crest.  A shame really that they chose this number as it lost its early crest (I believe) in early 1960. They could have chosen 31543 instead, which lasted with E/C until withdrawal in July 1963.

Also, though the chimney now seems more accurate, it should have SR standard stepped buffers to the rear.  

I wonder why Hornby choose the numbers they do. The next LN is a case in point, reboilered and recrested in 1958 when there were E/C locos that lasted into 1961.  Give your locos more historical shelf-life, Hornby! 

Edited by Chuffed 1
wrong term!

I used a TCS DP2X-UK in mine with no issues, I learnt with the Oxford Radial that the Gaugemaster direct plug is slightly thicker than the TCS one; there is a chance that the Hattons one suffers from the same problem.

• Like 1

TCS "chips" aka to those of us across the ocean as "decoders" are almost the standard replacement in the US for non-sound DCC when the cheap decoder from the manufacturer fails.  Better yet their Keep Alive capacitors can defeat the frog polarity wiring requirement of Peco electrofrog turnouts and short comings of unifrogs on tender style steam locomotives. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

As a non-SE&CR afficionado that simply likes these locos and would like to have one in his display cabinet, I apologise if this has been covered earlier in this thread. However, I can't seem to find a definitive statement to this effect, so how accurate is the model overall?

Am I correct in thinking that only the earliest (first fifteen?) locomotives had the straight-sided bunkers? If so, are there or will there be a release of this version in the full Wainwright livery?

All the best,

Mark

14 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi,

As a non-SE&CR afficionado that simply likes these locos and would like to have one in his display cabinet, I apologise if this has been covered earlier in this thread. However, I can't seem to find a definitive statement to this effect, so how accurate is the model overall?

Am I correct in thinking that only the earliest (first fifteen?) locomotives had the straight-sided bunkers? If so, are there or will there be a release of this version in the full Wainwright livery?

All the best,

Mark

Not quite the first fifteen. Those built in 1904 were flaired but many of the 1905 batch had straight bunkers. These were 263/5/6/74/6/8 and 530/1/2/3.

As for whether or not Hornby will do a straight bunkered in SECR colours, your guess is as good as mine. Lets see what they announce on January 6th (though next year sees an awful lot of SECR locos coming anyway from Rails D class).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/12/2019 at 12:42, JSpencer said:

Not quite the first fifteen. Those built in 1904 were flaired but many of the 1905 batch had straight bunkers. These were 263/5/6/74/6/8 and 530/1/2/3.

Worth adding that No 263 has a flared bunker in preservation which is replicated on R3648.

Edited by jafcreasey

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

As for whether or not Hornby will do a straight bunkered in SECR colours, your guess is as good as mine. Lets see what they announce on January 6th (though next year sees an awful lot of SECR locos coming anyway from Rails D class).

Thanks for the extra info - I hadn't realised the very first ones were flared as well.

My pre-Grouping period is 1905, so I'd want an early one!

Thanks again,

Mark

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jafcreasey said:

Worth adding that 263 has a flared bunker in preservation which is replicated on R3648.

Hi,

Thanks - I think I'd read that somewhere, but also that it's not quite the correct shape of the original? If so, which shape flare does the model replicate?

All the best,

Mark

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi,

Thanks - I think I'd read that somewhere, but also that it's not quite the correct shape of the original? If so, which shape flare does the model replicate?

All the best,

Mark

The model's tooling is for the original flare. To be honest there is not much in it. For me Hornby's 263 should have had later fittings to match the preserved loco that you see on their (Hornby's) BR livery ones which for me is more an eye sore than the flare.

1905 gives you loco numbers (1904 builds) 540/1/2/4/6/8/50 (1905 builds) 259/61/3/4/5/6/9/74/6/8, 500/3/30/1/2/3/51/2/3 to play with. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

The model's tooling is for the original flare. To be honest there is not much in it. For me Hornby's 263 should have had later fittings to match the preserved loco that you see on their (Hornby's) BR livery ones which for me is more an eye sore than the flare.

1905 gives you loco numbers (1904 builds) 540/1/2/4/6/8/50 (1905 builds) 259/61/3/4/5/6/9/74/6/8, 500/3/30/1/2/3/51/2/3 to play with. 

Thanks again for the extra info. I'm afraid it does rather show my ignorance of the subject!

Presumably, the bunker flare means it's correct for more locos, but I'm now confused by the fittings you've mentioned!

Cheers,

Mark

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks again for the extra info. I'm afraid it does rather show my ignorance of the subject!

Presumably, the bunker flare means it's correct for more locos, but I'm now confused by the fittings you've mentioned!

Cheers,

Mark

The locos aquired extra pipes and bits over their lives. The preserved 263 received a flaired bunker in BR days and also had BR push pull gear (263 for in preservation for example, retains a pipe running out from the left hand side of the cab front which did not exist in SECR days). To date though, 308 and 263 have been produced as the H class would have been in SECR days, except of course 263 should be straight bunker or should retain later fittings to match the preserved loco - especially given that Hornby have tooled this up and they have been released on various models. Instead 263 is basically 308 with a different number and a "The Collector" etched headboard as she was shown at Warley in 2018.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/12/2019 at 21:41, JSpencer said:

Instead 263 is basically 308 with a different number and a "The Collector" etched headboard as she was shown at Warley in 2018.

I did point this out to Hornby after release. They originally said 263 would be as preserved and displayed at Warley. When I wrote to them about this missing pipework and indeed missing smokebox rivets of the preservation model, they said it was as 'in service', which is clearly wrong as per the bunker. I gave up at this point.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I did point this out to Hornby after release. They originally said 263 would be as preserved and displayed at Warley. When I wrote to them about this missing pipework and indeed missing smokebox rivets of the preservation model, they said it was as 'in service', which is clearly wrong as per the bunker. I gave up at this point.

Apparently when someone from the bluebell showed them round the H at Warley they hadn't quite realised the number of differences. 263 also has lining on the lower cab roof area which apparently they could not produce in the factory. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Apparently when someone from the bluebell showed them round the H at Warley they hadn't quite realised the number of differences. 263 also has lining on the lower cab roof area which apparently they could not produce in the factory. 

I can understand the roof lining limitation, or rather cost of tooling up printing for a one off. What I can't understand is missing off pipework and smokebox detail that is already in the tooling and that would have had had minimal cost implications.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yeah it doesn't make sense as one of the BR models I think had the right combination of bits and would "just" need a new livery. They took the easy way out and essentially ordered another batch of the one numbered 308 and changed the number so they wouldn't have to go through an extended process of doing a new set of artwork drawings for the new combination. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 24/12/2019 at 21:41, JSpencer said:

..... The preserved 263 received a flaired bunker in BR days .............

A number of the original flat-bunker Hs received flares* in BR days and can be identified by the lack of a beading strip at the base of the flare - this beading has been added to 263 in preservation.

* possibly off scrapped brethren

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2019 at 23:12, Jack P said:

Who's had success chipping their H class locos?

I've tried the Hattons direct 8-pin, but that doesn't seem to want to work for whatever reason.

I used a Digitrax DZ126PS in mine - after trying a DCC Concepts one and getting a very jerky response. Oddly the DCC Concepts decoder did exactly the same in an M7, but worked perfectly fine in a 700.

6 hours ago, Nick C said:

I used a Digitrax DZ126PS in mine - after trying a DCC Concepts one and getting a very jerky response. Oddly the DCC Concepts decoder did exactly the same in an M7, but worked perfectly fine in a 700.

I've used a TCS DP2X-UK chip in mine with no issues.

I have found that some chips are not good when first used, what I have tried in the past (doesn't always work, but worth a try) is to run a factory reset, some chips do not support this, check with the manufacturers documentation. The DCC Wiki site has a page dealing with "Decoder Reset".

Hope this helps.

Edited by gz3xzf

2 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Back on - H Class - topic : looks like Hornby are doing 1552 in black with sunshine lettering sometime ................nowt else of interest to me in today's much heralded announcement ( the malachite 'Nelson' ain't my area I'm afraid ! ).

Seconded, but the Wartime Black H was something I really wanted to see so I'm pleased with that announcement at least! Otherwise all a bit dull on the SR front this year from Hornby.