BRDatabase.info

Pint of Adnams

I've being trying to look up some locomotives on this excellent site but only get either SQL errors or internal server errors. Is it just me or is there a possibly a problem?

I eventually e-mailed yesterday including a copy of the SQL error message and today it's the internal server message - of course the site owner could be investigating/repairing but there's no holding page to say so...

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Just tried it (to look up a loco I saw yesterday) and it's back down again.  Received the following error message:

Error: Unable to connect to MySQL. Debugging errno: 1045

This seems to happen every now and again, and is usually sorted out within a few hours to a day.

Regards,

Alex.

A note from the site owner here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1437/entry-18340-brdatabase-problems/

The BRDatabase website has had connection issues recently and this is a quick headsup.

The hosting company, who have been less than helpful, have denied access to parts of the database because of high cpu and high RAM hits. I fixed some errors recently and this has meant a refresh of the cache files which is putting a heavy load on the server. I am in the process of removing some of the worst queries and replacing them with 'data warehouse' tables which essentially means that the server will be under a smaller load.

I am looking to move away from the hosting company - they recently increased their basic plan cost by 500% and removed interactive chat support. So I am looking elsewhere, but the cost of running the website has increased considerably since I started. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.

As for the data, I have completely refreshed everything (offline) from 1946 to 1968 with the exception of a handful of months in 1965/6 which I will add in the next week or so. Then I will check the quality of the data and once that is done, BRDatabase should be much more accurate and reliable. Also, the facelift is imminent ...

In the meantime, I apologise for the problems everyone is facing and I hope to get them resolved as soon as possible. That might mean a bit of downtime for maintenance, so please bear with me.

Ian

Thanks very much for that Andy - it's a brilliant and comprehensive resource and clearly lots of people think so, hence a victim of it's own success (and of the hosting company).

Perhaps you might arrange to continue as the point of contact, so that Ian can get on with his work and not have to worry about answering e-mails?

Any chance of some help with hosting through Warner's or promoting crowdfunding?

Archived