Guest nzflyer

Hi all,

Found this on YouTube (click ahead to 1:05).

I must say it made me gasp when I saw it. This is a really cool machine! Does anyone know of any models of it that may exist?

It would be impressive to see one on a layout, either sitting dormant in a siding or in actual operation. I could imagine the headaches it would cause the scratch-building modeller as she/he tries to get all the tiny motors to work to run the conveyor and the truck.

Kind regards.

To build the truck: wheels from a 1/76 Airfix Willys Jeep or tractor kit, seat from a Spitfire, bits of wire, lots of card! Perhaps have a mechanism on one Granmpus wagon that will allow the truck to tip.

The machine appears to be DR85001..a Trenching unit.

Made on an old Bogie Weltrol with and a Hunslet power unit...which gives it that shunter look.

Made in 1962 and mainly worked on the Western Region.

A smaller unit DR85000 appears to have been made on a 4 wheel well wagon in 1959.

I observed both at Radyr Yard, a fabulous place for anyone interested in older stock as

much of it was condemned and on its way to the scrapyard.

Thanks for that Steve. I googled the running number and found a few images. I could only think that you could take a well wagon, lengthen, replace the round buffers with oval ones, build the cab out of card maybe. It's giving me headaches thinking about it.

Archived