Transporting OO gauge multiple units to exhibitions

Geep7

• RMweb Gold

I have been pondering about this for a while, and at my last exhibition (well the 1st for my British Outline layout), I ended up taking my 3 2-car MUs with the sets split apart. Being as these are Bachmann and Hornby units, I don't really fancy having to keep pulling the coupling bar out (especially on my 2H). Also, now that i'm adding a 4th to the fleet, plus maybe a couple more, packing up time at a show will become a factor.

I was wondering if some one had found a decent carry-case / box that is ideal for taking 2-car (at least) MU's.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Aluminium 'flight cases' with self customisable foam inserts are available in a wide variety of sizes, and provide good protection.

Thanks, I did think of these, but i'm thinking of some thing not quite so bulky and more stackable when the layout goes in the car. However, the protection is a good plus point, and most are lockable too....

• RMweb Gold

With the foam in there I'd be tempted to put acid free tissue over the loco or food grade plastic cut from freezer bags as eventually it will start to break down and could mark the models. I change the paper or polythene liner every couple of years too where I use foam.

DCC contests do the MPD carriers and are intending to do a longer one to take units as the longest they do at present is 560mm and fits a MPV.

That train safe is cool !

Train Safe has been available for a long time.

They do different grades of clear containers, display containers (including powered for static running), Travel and Travelite etc, etc.

Not cheap, but very decent quality for a storage solution.

http://shop.train-safe.de/en/home/

There is a company that is often at shows that sell storage boxes and inserts, the boxes are efectively the really useful boxes (often on offer at Staples and Rymans).

There are really useful box variants that are designed for rolls of wrapping paper and so on, they're rather long and thin, so with suitable foam inserted could store EMUs/DMUs complete, even if they were 5 cars long probably.

• RMweb Gold

The blue foam channel that is often used to protect things like office furniture in transit can be obtained in long lengths, cut it to suit and find a Really Useful Box to hold them all and you should be away, though you'll almost certainly need to provide extra separators to support/protect multiple layers.

Only drawback is that to get the length you might need quite a big one. IIRC they do one intended to store smallish artificial Xmas trees (folded) or rolls of wrapping paper which might serve your needs (think it's the 22 Litre size).  

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the replies on this. The really useful boxes + the nomafoam look like a good (and relatively cheap) option.

I'll defo. look into it, haven't as yet had any more show invites, but early days, plus will be handy for storage off the layout.....

• RMweb Gold

Found it from the four letters in the side.http://www.packingboxes.co.uk/nomafoam-protection-set/

These people sell it by the 2m length.http://www.postpack.co.uk/acatalog/noma-foam-u-profile.html

Dave

Thanks, this looks good.

Can you tell me what size you have there Dave?

15mm - 25mm [Ref: NFU1525] £0.89

25mm - 35mm [Ref: NFU2535] £0.99

30mm - 70mm [Ref: NFU3070] £1.98

Cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Internal dimensions of the Really Useful Boxes here.

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/boxdetails.php

The 22 litre 820x255x155 is ideal for two car units. With carfeul packing you can fit ten in! It is usually sold as a box to contain wrapping paper.

I also use them for more than two car units that have wiring between them, such as for speakers. That way I'm only splitting say 1 car from a 3-car (I have two 3-car DMUs and the split single cars conveniently occupy a line together)

My 4-car Voyagers only need one split to transport.

The 22 litre box is also convenient as it readily forms a stackable base for my collection of 9 and 4 litre boxes that carry the rest of my stock.

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers,

Mick

I've got this stuff.

Used to get it on eBay but doesn't seem to be there now.

Obviously cut from a roll, so must be available somewhere.

Dave

attachicon.gif20160927_132736small.jpg

I have some of that stuff somewhere, where the heck it went I have no idea after moving though!

The things that are termed 'Pool Noodles' for helping swimming lessons can also be useful for this. It is tubular in section usually.

I used these and these, and these for storing my stock and kits/tools in at home. I'd probably get some of these ((20L and 50L versions are available too, or the 22L as Newbryford suggests, the difference is in length and depth) though for storing units for transportation, but find the 35, 18 and 9 litre ones fit in my flat easier for storage (the 35L are useful for magazine storage, the 18L for stock storage (being just long enough for a Lima 37 box) and the 9L for storing odds and sods and tools in).

Archived