LBSCR & GWR at Battersea Wharf

• 4 years later...

Hi hope you are still interested in this topic.

My Gt Grandfather; William George Miles  spent nearly all his working life at Battersea Wharf Goods , Here is an article from when he retired. Also a photograph taken in 1902, showing I believe the smaller building in one of the last photos added on here, you can make out a door on the facing end, of what I think?, is a weather boarded building, as in my Gt Grandfather and workmates photo, he is in centre of the back row.

Would love to see a photo of the building to confirm its location, on the maps on  here.

Sorry having difficulty loading up of pdfs ..will have to reserve them and add!!

Edited by EastBrixton
  • Like 5

• Mikkel changed the title to LBSCR & GWR at Battersea Wharf
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not much. I occasionally take out my box of 7mm items and stare at them. But the revelation has yet to come.

That said, it is still a long term plan. A major motivation now is this Thames barge built by the late Grahame Hitchen (who was known as bgman on here), which I think fits the scheme well. It would be a nice tribute to him.

20220705_094646.jpg.6251e65962f9161db31654a8532d0190.jpg

BargeOnRiverThamesEnglandca1924.jpg.46d6943328db0c43006c809cbcf65e9a.jpg

Battersea, ca. 1924. Source: Getty Images. Embedding permitted.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 12

My mothers side of the family was full of mariners and sail-bargemen, in that case on the Arun, around Thorney, Hayling (where they lived) etc. one even became a prosperous pub/hotel owner having started with a foreshore pub that was built from timbers salvaged from the wreck of the inappropriately named HMS Impregnable.

• Like 6