Overseas content in TRACTION magazine - your opinion

Andy Y

With regards to overseas content. How interesting do you find these articles?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. With regards to overseas content. How interesting do you find these articles?

• I have no interest
    • I have moderate interest
    • I find them very interesting

The options are a tad unsubtle, if I may be so rude, in that 'overseas content' could cover a multitude of different sorts of things.

Elongated class histories of mundane types I've barely heard of, and only seen once, across the breadth of a marshalling yard: no interest at all.

Some targeted stuff that identifies innovations that set long-term trends, or had wide influence, especially if that influence very clearly extended to the UK, or exceptionally didn't apply in the UK, are, on the other hand, very interesting.

As an example of the latter: Why did the Germans choose lightweight DH locos in the late 1940s? How much influence did that have outside Germany? How did that stack-up against the influence GM DE designs licensed into Scandinavia at roughly the same time? And, against pre-existing European DE designs? Very interesting!

A blow-by-blow account of the depot allocations of V200 class ....... Not interesting.

Kevin

Edit: Andrew's post sets out a very cogent reason for living in Portugal :-)

Archived