My Projects

Bought another Mk1 Buffet car to use as a donor for a project. It all started when outside was the coach from CVR coach shed in primer that gave me the inspiration to finally get back into modelling  and actually starting somnething instead of on paper. Buffet 1805 will become whatever livery I find out there painting the coach into then will grab the remainder of the train to create as and when. Will post pics of the coach im copying tomorrow when downloaded from the camera

The Hornby buffet car I'm assuming I'd need to change a few details like trucks and such but it's the donor

image_zps8en8atuo.jpeg

Here is the coach I am going to use the donor to recreate even though is still under restoration and missing bits it's worth a go

image_zpst6pf6d0j.jpeg

I have a fair idea what livery it will carry but will need to double check when I'm next volunteering or ask someone I know for info

Nice little project, I've been looking forward to seeing it when they finish it but I fear it might be the coach that's gone up in flames last weekend. I couldn't see it in the platform siding this evening when I came past.

Was there sunday morning volunteering when the fire brigade returned so I know things about the fire but all CVR staff and volunteers are to keep quiet about it but if I rememer they do have one of these on the Moorlander dining train I think in the same config not sure. Im trying to breakup my stock being all BR Blue overkill on my preserved model railway so seeing this outside inspired me to try and replicate one of Churnet Valley's rake

Been doing some research into the project and have identified which coach it is in the CVR fleet BR RMB no. E1878 "J.R. Burgess". Found more info here http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=2703 which helps. It suggests commonwealth bogies which I'm not great at identifying this so does the donor already have these. The site also list the others to help in acquiring them

Set is

BR 80030 MK1 RK http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=2078

BR 4779 MK1 SO http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=1431 - Would I be able to get a dining car inerior to fit in this since its converted to oneish

BR 1817 MK1 RMB http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=2703

I am concidering another 2 vehices to add to the rake to make it a 5 car consist but am open to suggestions for what to add

• 4 weeks later...

Friday we went up to Froghall and spent a few hours pulling bits and pieces off the other permaquip machines down there and took some pics of the sorry state there in plus the ballast hoppers are located down there. If anyone know what the ballast wagons are and if anyone makes them i might add them in

SAM_3374_zps9q3lfbgs.jpg

SAM_3375_zpsdhlfs1bd.jpg

SAM_3376_zps7zbtjax5.jpg

SAM_3377_zpsvijcmid1.jpg

SAM_3378_zpsgiazutpv.jpg

SAM_3380_zpsmptxi9nw.jpg

SAM_3386_zpskw9eqdd8.jpg

SAM_3388_zpsdsl0ksk7.jpg

SAM_3389_zpsvu5e8jq4.jpg

They also had sets of bogies stored down there which can anyone tell me what they are

SAM_3379_zpsylwj0dvh.jpg

SAM_3381_zpszihalvx7.jpg

SAM_3382_zps6mndmopw.jpg

SAM_3383_zpswg1dltbw.jpg

SAM_3385_zpspjptejx3.jpg

SAM_3390_zps4jgd4vxv.jpg

SAM_3391_zpsm6dmkslj.jpg

SAM_3392_zpskig6tc0m.jpg

SAM_3393_zpsz87xiyv5.jpg

SAM_3394_zpstp5xtsmx.jpg

we had a quick walk sofar down the track and i found my next project to add to the consist - BR MK1 GUV http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=3971

SAM_3395_zpsfuq6g2yi.jpg

The Buffet car project is on hold for a while till progress is made on the one I am modeling it after

• Like 2

If anyone know what the ballast wagons are and if anyone makes them i might add them in

SAM_3374_zps9q3lfbgs.jpg

They also had sets of bogies stored down there which can anyone tell me what they are

SAM_3385_zpspjptejx3.jpg

The ballast wagons appear to be Catfish and a Dogfish or derivatives. The Catfish wagons have a single drop door while the Dogfish has the triple doors and corresponding amount of wheels. Cambrian make kits for both wagons and Heljan make/made an RTR Dogfish. The bogies seem to be mostly DMU units - note the single mechanical drive box in blue, the other two are Class 25 units.

Edited by thaddeus

• 2 years later...

So on my to do list will post pics up tonight on progress

BR MK1 - Interior, paint springs red and the blue thing plus the wheel caps yellow

BR MK2 - Interior, paint springs red and the blue thing plus the wheel caps yellow

MK3 - Interior, yellow springs

Pullman - Pick a lighter blue

all will be toned down with weathering in the future

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Away to the depot open day at Crewe this weekend and thought id resurrect my CVR project. I have also decided to sort of make a semi realistic rake with

BR RK 80030 http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=2078 (need)

Pullman car 348 (more detailing to do)

RMB 1878 http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=2703 (need to paint)

SO 4779 http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=1431 (may swap interior to dining spec to semi match)(Need)

What would be the best match for the maroon they are using and the cream on the SO. Will be collecting items for it to have a bash in August when the events calendar is emptyish also how would one identify a Mk1 RK when looking for one to acquire for the project

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have sort of started work on creating paper templates for the sides of the RK 80030 to match the layout before deciding to purchase a mk1 maybe 2 to cut and shut around to match once I am happy with the templates.  Grey primer will be purchased then once the models are acquired i will commence the project but in the meantime I have been researching the interior layout to start with whilst i wait.

August will see new plates ordered for the LNER V2 loco and the purchase of the extra coaches for the task alongside other things to progress this along for a change. The RMB will be stripped ready for paint removal and application of primer but on a side note recommendations on name plates or removal of paint from Hornby coaches

• 3 weeks later...

Found these 2 images surfing the net looking for better angles to complete the template interesting there in a sort of SR green.

IMG_1143a-1.jpg.909de1bdcbc8cbf57dc89a22b37efeb2.jpg

IMG_1144a_0.jpg.12779c83fbabd3599e2bb8bdf5261610.jpg

May need to rejig the template looking at these but if i copy items from other carriages to place over the top of the side template might just give me the enthusiasm to crack on and complete it before ordering any donor vehicles. If i can get the template looking right i can then look at making a start on dismantling the RMB, looking at glazing and paint then ebay hunting for a suitable donor and hopefully finish the project

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been adding details to this Athearn CSX GP40-2 I acquired at the start of the month looks like its getting there slowly. Looking to possibly add the wire on the plough and hoses to finish it off unless iv missed anything might add the rest of the truck details at a later date

100_4699.JPG.1fc91534a6a48347bb9f03bb42dde47d.JPG

100_4700.JPG.7adb5ac296f02659b802c52ccd5b3e49.JPG

• 1 month later...

I wonder if contacting someone like Chris' Code 3s on facebook to do some transfers for the sides of the Churnet Valley Kitchen Car for a MK1 Hornby coach then scan them print out a copy cut it out and use it as a template to mask things off or cut things out. Then I could use the vinyl decal on a future project perhaps if i find this is too messy and complicated. Can you also get blank coach sides somewhere as a starting point rather than spend time filling and chopping. Might reboot this project over Xmas alongside other layout related projects