Minerva GWR Pannier Tank - open for advanced orders

81A Oldoak

Chris B and Chris K are delighted to announce that Minerva has agreed a special offer with Narrow Planet to supply custom-made etched brass number plates for the forthcoming 7mm scale RTR GWR 57XX/8750 0-6-0 pannier tank locomotives.

British Railways era modellers will be able to buy a set of GWR cabside number plates, a BR smokebox number plate and BR shedcode plate with the number of their choice. The usual prices are £7.50 for unpainted plates and £8.50 for black-painted plates (product code NNP-417). For GWR era modellers the usual prices for a pair of cabside number plates are £4.50 unpainted and £5.00 black painted (product code NNP-409). Minerva customers will be able to claim a discount of 50% against the prices of these sets of plates using a discount code that will be supplied with your order. Please note the discount does not apply to other Narrow Planets products. You can view the products on Narrow Planet’s website: 

https://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/collections/number-plate-styles

• Like 6

I for one would like to see more mainline GWR layouts to complement those of Eastern persuasion seen on the exhibition circuit.

You are right - but I can't work out why... (see my previous post for tedious rant)

YES, YES, YES to mainline GWR layouts - but please no more near identical GW BLTs*, or at least if you must why not do the junction?

*Doesn't the fact that there is an instantly understood abreviation tell us something?

Rob & Chaz - AGREED!

Space, I guess.

'Tis curious how the GW, with fabulous named trains drawn by arguably the most technologically advanced locos of their day, is typically modelled as a BLT, (ye gods, even I'm doing it, albeit with big locos, a sort of North Wales version of Kingswear or Fishguard.) and the archetype for the East Coast is the Flying Scotsman, or an A4 (suggesting Heljan & Hattons have their collective head screwed on, as you might expect, with the forthcoming steam era models), despite the profusion of eminently modellable branch lines in the north and east, and even round Stratford. I'd be surprised if there were not as many branches, mile for mile, on each of the other major companies, I'm sure the stock is as interesting and the scenery as photogenic. So why the GW BLT?

A BLT would still be a BLT if located in Fife or East Kent. A rose by any other name, perhaps? I do recall a very impressive model of Ramsgate in RM some years ago. Maybe that was an MLT?

I'd love the space (and money) to run 8, 10 or even 12 coach trains behind my larger locos - short of a significant premium bond win, it's not looking likely...

Meanwhile, these Panniers are looking very attractive.

(And I agree with you about the Collet thing, but don't speak too loud, Heather is building one)

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

There are one or two GWR ML layouts and they are biggies and there in lies a problem in 7mm for exhibitors and exhibition managers alike as places such as STEAM are often the only places that can accommodate such...

ATVB

CME

Chris B and Chris K are delighted to announce that Minerva has agreed a special offer with Narrow Planet to supply custom-made etched brass number plates for the forthcoming 7mm scale RTR GWR 57XX/8750 0-6-0 pannier tank locomotives.

British Railways era modellers will be able to buy a set of GWR cabside number plates, a BR smokebox number plate and BR shedcode plate with the number of their choice. The usual prices are £7.50 for unpainted plates and £8.50 for black-painted plates (product code NNP-417). For GWR era modellers the usual prices for a pair of cabside number plates are £4.50 unpainted and £5.00 black painted (product code NNP-409). Minerva customers will be able to claim a discount of 50% against the prices of these sets of plates using a discount code that will be supplied with your order. Please note the discount does not apply to other Narrow Planets products. You can view the products on Narrow Planet’s website: 

https://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/collections/number-plate-styles

Typical, got my order in with Narrow planet a couple of weeks ago for mine!!!! Along with my signal box plate. :banghead:  :banghead:

Never mind, it's worth paying for quality ;)

Jinty ;)

I was going to model my Pannier so late in it's life I don't think it even still had it's numberplates - just chalked-on numbers!!

Still, a great offer, that like the loco, is in the "It'd be rude not to" category. ;)

Edited by F-UnitMad

I was going to model my Pannier so late in it's life I don't think it even still had it's numberplates - just chalked-on numbers!!

You could scratchbuild it a couple of years later than that with a tin can and half an hour with a pair of tin-snips.... :yahoo:

Edited by chaz

Laugh? I nearly did. :rolleyes:

Can't you go forth & hate the GWR on some other Thread? :mad: :P

Agreed.

I come to this thread to read the latest information about a forthcoming model that I am hoping to purchase. Not to read the same old comments, that have been repeated many times in the past, mocking my preferred choice of railway company.

Laugh? I nearly did. :rolleyes:

Can't you go forth & hate the GWR on some other Thread? :mad: :P

I won't do it anymore. Promise.

I don't hate the GWR, I am just bored by the same old approach. There are some superb, imaginative GWR layouts around including a fine 7mm one whose name I can't recall that was a through station with the approach on a 90 degree curve. Quite splendid.

Agreed.

I come to this thread to read the latest information about a forthcoming model that I am hoping to purchase. Not to read the same old comments, that have been repeated many times in the past, mocking my preferred choice of railway company.

It's a fair point and I will stop pulling your leg. Sorry if I went too far.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

Talking with Ian Pope yesterday he said that one or two of the Panniers in the Forest were running without numberplates at the end.

Some 8750s were still running at Croes Newydd, Wrexham as late as September 1966. Here is 9610 shorn of number-plates on the cab and smokebox: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=croes+newydd+shed+1966&biw=1280&bih=877&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiotd_5x-bPAhXnIcAKHYHdDJYQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=5XstZeoJjfiu7M%3A

• Like 3

Talking with Ian Pope yesterday he said that one or two of the Panniers in the Forest were running without numberplates at the end.

Thanks for that. I know 3675 (my intended victim) was sans smokebox plate for several months in late '65. Photos are inconclusive so far as to cab side plates - I think it may have lost one plate sooner than the other!!!

I'm not really a GWR man but I can certainly find use for one of these. Minerva pannier, Lionheart auto and a few Dapol wagons and you have an 'instant' O gauge (Watlington-ish?) railway for not much more than £500. A big step forward for O gauge.

Personally I still prefer the early GWR types - 517s, Metro tanks, Dean goods. I still think there may be an rtr market for these - not least because they would all allow you to do an era you can't do in 00. Each to their own but I've never 'got' the 50s obsession - a period when the railways were in sharp decline and when older stock was often kept in poor condition. But each to their own...

Edited by fezza
  • Like 1

I'm not really a GWR man but I can certainly find use for one of these. Minerva pannier, Lionheart auto and a few Dapol wagons and you have an 'instant' O gauge (Watlington-ish?) railway for not much more than £500. A big step forward for O gauge.

Personally I still prefer the early GWR types - 517s, Metro tanks, Dean goods. I still think there may be an rtr market for these - not least because they would all allow you to do an era you can't do in 00. Each to their own but I've never 'got' the 50s obsession - a period when the railways were in sharp decline and when older stock was often kept in poor condition. But each to their own...

Extending the Campaign For Pre-Grouping RTR to O gauge could create unaffordable temptation for me, if it was successful!

Each to their own but I've never 'got' the 50s obsession - a period when the railways were in sharp decline and when older stock was often kept in poor condition. But each to their own...

Probably a lot like interest in WW2. A fascinating Era in history to study, but perhaps not actually that great to have actually lived through?

I was there and it was great up to DMU-isation around 1958. Being pleasantly surprised by the appearance of a pre-grouping coach in ones train was one pleasure as I soaked up the atmosphere of a bygone age. With only two weeks summer holidays and so much to see, one could not possibly cover all the railways that existed and had done since they were built. Pictures can only ever give a snapshot of what it was like to be there. Someone once said a railway journey was an event. You entered an environment that had perhaps 60 to 100 years continued history, and the smell of soot and damp was perfume to the enthusiast.  It is impossible for heritage lines to capture the steam era, but nevertheless they do keep the spirit alive. Which reminds me, I'm due for a 'fix' before they shut down for the Winter.

And to keep on topic, yup I'm looking forward to these 0 gauge RTR develoments.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 6

I'd like to order a later batch Pannier model, do I need to do this prior to the March 17 cut off for the bargain price?

Also is there a planned delivery date for the later batches ?

Cheers

Planned delivery dates are:

8750 series - June 2017

57XX welded tanks - October 2017

57XX rivetted tanks - End of 2017.

The advance order discount offer will expire on 31st March 2017.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

8750 series - June 2017

Regards,

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for that.

Would it be possible to hand in a filled-in order sheet at a show like Reading or Bristol, please?

Chris,

Thanks for that.

Would it be possible to hand in a filled-in order sheet at a show like Reading or Bristol, please?

We will have stocks of order forms at any show we attend. We will definitely be at Reading on the amended date of 10th December.

Chris

• Like 1

8750 series - June 2017

Regards,

Chris

Awesome    ;)  :imsohappy:

I must say, that is a very well thought out lead-in time, just right for saving the pennies, and not too long for others to get itchy feet!!!!

Well done both

Jinty ;)