Minerva GWR Pannier Tank - open for advanced orders

81A Oldoak

some cannot tell the difference between critique and criticism

Firstly my comment about Adrian was just said in mild jest. Not to re-open another debate.

No one doubts Adrian's subject knowledge, but it was his way of delivering his "critique" that wound people up, because it was virtually indistinguishable from "criticism" - voracious criticism at that. As said by someone else on another Forum (& not Western Thunder either!!), they asked why he had to hit such a small nail so hard, so often, & from so many different angles.

End of Subject from me, too.

Firstly my comment about Adrian was just said in mild jest. Not to re-open another debate.

No one doubts Adrian's subject knowledge, but it was his way of delivering his "critique" that wound people up, because it was virtually indistinguishable from "criticism" - voracious criticism at that. As said by someone else on another Forum (& not Western Thunder either!!), they asked why he had to hit such a small nail so hard, so often, & from so many different angles.

End of Subject from me, too.

Hi Jordan,

I know that you were jesting....I just think that we best not demonise folk.

BTW-My previous comments were not a personal dig/criticism of you per se from my POV.

I have picked up on various comments re Adrian Swain et al here and there on RMW et al and as these past members have no right to reply, I think that their names are best left out of ALL conversations in the vein of 'if one cant say something nice about someone then say nowt at all'.

I agree with what you say-upto a point-but I also watched as 'packs' and 'mob rule' took effect so as to gain a specific response from those providing a critique of certain RTR models (Adrian Swain got caught up in that), akin to a form of entrapment....then only to find out said 'pack' has specific business relationships with said RTR manufacturer-that aint cricket-said 'pack' not being four square and true. Sad all the way around.

Speaking to Adrian et al at shows etc., he's not at all as his internet personna has made out, far from it, helpful, knowledgable, friendly chap. Internet land doesnt allow for facial expression, tone of voice, humour etc.....

Let us all leave Adrian Swain et al out of any and ALL commentry or conversations would be my POV.

Kindest regards,

CME.

As t'was I who brought him into the conversation, I would reiterate that - I had no intent to reignite that unpleasant debate - neither would I wish the same opprobrium be heaped on Miss Prism for having the temerity to provide constructive criticism

reasoned debate, and constructive comment are, in my book, always welcome.

best

Simon

As t'was I who brought him into the conversation, I would reiterate that - I had no intent to reignite that unpleasant debate - neither would I wish the same opprobrium be heaped on Miss Prism for having the temerity to provide constructive criticism

reasoned debate, and constructive comment are, in my book, always welcome.

best

Simon

Hi Simon,

I fully agree.

AFAIC, back on topic.

Kindest,

CME

Is there any chance that you will do 5741, a North-British built example, which was purchased by the NWR some time in the 1950s?

The Minerva 57XX is based on the original GWR general arrangement drawings that were also supplied to the North British (NB). Locos fitted and not fitted with top-feed apparatus will be available. The Minerva model does not include numberplates because there are so many locomotives. We recommend Narrow Planet for plates including the diamond-shaped NB manufacturer's brass plates on the front splashers. According to the records I have, 5741 was withdrawn from British Railways service from Newport Pill shed (86B) on 30 June 1957 and scrapped at Swindon Works in May 1958.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Chris K

• RMweb Premium

Were the likes of North British, BRC&W etc completely independent of the big 4? I'd always assumed they were tied to one of the railways but that being the case, the farming out of panniers would seem strange. For that matter I've never been clear how much actual rivalry there was between the big 4 or whether there was really sufficient demand for all of them to operate happily alongside each other (hence much duplication of routes etc).

• RMweb Gold

The early panniers in the 57xx series were indeed farmed out to private builders, such as North British, Kerr Stuart, etc. A lot of the grouped Welsh railways, sad to say were in some cases, dire condition. I'm given to understand that the first post-group locomotives were panniers, with some of those going to South Wales. Some of those panniers 'stayed at home', and displaced other GW locomotives, which made it to Welsh sheds. As most probably know, this was quickly followed up by the 56xx class, with the 66xx being built by outside contractors such as Armstrong Whitworth, etc. I'm pretty sure that some of the 27xx panniers were r-worked up to 57xx standard, and re-entered traffic as the 'new' class, but I still seek clarification on that point.

For accurate information, I suggest reading up on the various RCTS volumes. As the authors were 'mostly there' I tend to regard them as prime source material. Dated document & photographs notwithstanding, of course.

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

I was perusing one of The Pannier Papers the other day, and inwardly bemoaning the fact that no one does one of the riveted tank examples, then it got me thinking, what if one was to use Archers rivet transfers to achieve that effect, in both 4mm and/or 7mm?

Edit - sorry Chris, if you are planning on producing a 7mm riveted 57XX, but it might still be an idea in 4mm!

Edited by Captain Kernow

I was perusing one of The Pannier Papers the other day, and inwardly bemoaning the fact that no one does one of the riveted tank examples, then it got me thinking, what if one was to use Archers rivet transfers to achieve that effect, in both 4mm and/or 7mm?

Edit - sorry Chris, if you are planning on producing a 7mm riveted 57XX, but it might still be an idea in 4mm!

The riveted tank version is scheduled for delivery in January 2018.

Chris

• Like 1

Were the likes of North British, BRC&W etc completely independent of the big 4? I'd always assumed they were tied to one of the railways but that being the case, the farming out of panniers would seem strange. For that matter I've never been clear how much actual rivalry there was between the big 4 or whether there was really sufficient demand for all of them to operate happily alongside each other (hence much duplication of routes etc).

They were independent and built for export as well as for the big four when the latter were short of capacity. There was a court case following the supply by a railway company of locomotives to an Irish railway. The independent builders argued that a railway company could undercut them by subsidising the building from the rest of the company, which was unfair competition. They won their case and the result was that railway companies could not build locomotives for others – only for their own use.

I have started to dabble in O, so purchased one of these at Telford on Sunday. Not only am I very impressed with my new model, but I must report on the fantastic customer service from Chris. He took his time to explain the model, from unpacking the model, handling, fitting detail parts and ordering plates. There will also be a 3d printed speaker available shortly for DCC Sound.            Thanks Chris, look forward to future products.

Steve

• Like 2

I have started to dabble in O, so purchased one of these at Telford on Sunday. Not only am I very impressed with my new model, but I must report on the fantastic customer service from Chris. He took his time to explain the model, from unpacking the model, handling, fitting detail parts and ordering plates. There will also be a 3d printed speaker available shortly for DCC Sound.            Thanks Chris, look forward to future products.

Steve

Steve,

Thank you for the compliments. We are pleased that you like the model and hope you have much enjoyment. They run particularly well in pairs. ;-)

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

I have started to dabble in O, so purchased one of these at Telford on Sunday. Not only am I very impressed with my new model, but I must report on the fantastic customer service from Chris. He took his time to explain the model, from unpacking the model, handling, fitting detail parts and ordering plates.

Steve

Agreed; I got the 'full treatment' on Saturday, plus a demonstration run of my loco as well. It was nice to be made to genuinely feel like a valued customer, not just another sale! :thankyou: :yes:
  • Like 4

Hi all,

Only just had a chance to run my Pannier, and, on a yard of track, at low speeds, it's a very smooth performer straight from the box-very nice indeed! Its a joy in fact. I cant wait to see it at scale running line speeds around the garden.

Oh! AND great box too, stout cardboard exterior, soft moulded foam interior and slippery synthetic 'grease proof' type paper for added protection of loco's finish, none of that horrid clear blow moulded (lets scratch paintwork/weathering) stuff as is oft found in modern packaging. With the Minerva box and packaging, I believe I can actually store my loco, in running condition, when not in use, in the box-superb! These days so many items come in pretty packaging which often ends up as neither use nor ornament after the product is removed from it intially! I well remember in one SCM role I had, some production staff becoming overwhelmed with excitment re a new chap with a PhD in packaging.....if PhDs are designing packaging, still, then, they aint doing all that well, as most of it ends up as landfill AFAICT. So well done Minerva for having packaging that delivers the model in good nick and acts as the loco's home when not in use....good, old fashioned, common sense keeping our models safe (who knows boxed versions of the loco may end up on Antiques Road Show in 2117!?).

Thanks Chris and Chris!

Kindest regards,

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Steve,

Thank you for the compliments. We are pleased that you like the model and hope you have much enjoyment. They run particularly well in pairs. ;-)

Regards,

Chris

Observing the stand I thought it good too that you managed to chat to folk and serve customers at the same time. An important skill at shows.

• Like 1

Observing the stand I thought it good too that you managed to chat to folk and serve customers at the same time. An important skill at shows.

We agree.  Chris  B and I were modellers and enthusiasts before we went into business and still are, so we truly enjoy talking to our fellow enthusiasts who just happen to be customers too.

• Like 4

9648 is nearing completion, with just a few little bits needed being done.

Here are a couple of pictures.

post-14906-0-24268500-1504806675_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-16245100-1504806690_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-80892300-1504806701_thumb.jpg

Such an excellent model to start with, silky smooth out of the box on DC to run in, and even smoother on DCC!!!

Thank you Minerva

Jinty ;)

• Like 17