Minerva GWR Pannier Tank - open for advanced orders

81A Oldoak

What sort of stall current are you anticipating for the motors in the pannier tanks?

I have an NCE Powercab which runs my Ixion Fowler quite happily, and it would be nice to know whether I will need to upgrade to a 5 amp booster for the system.

This is a problem because if I need a booster, I'll have to get a EE Type 3 to replace the 56xx I haven't got.

I would imagine that if Minerva are using the 8-pin decoder socket, their motor parameters should still be within the current range of locos they supply. The only problem you may find is if you are needing to have more that one or maybe two locos moving at the same time, you could create a problem that way.

I suppose that it all depends on the size of your layout and how much of a current draw you will require. Sound, lights, weight of trains, etc.

Also the cost of a 5amp transformer needs to be evaluated (Including the cost of the EE Type 3 that goes with it)!!!  ;)

Jinty ;)

What sort of stall current are you anticipating for the motors in the pannier tanks?

I have an NCE Powercab which runs my Ixion Fowler quite happily, and it would be nice to know whether I will need to upgrade to a 5 amp booster for the system.

This is a problem because if I need a booster, I'll have to get a EE Type 3 to replace the 56xx I haven't got.

The Pannier has the same motor and drive-train as the Victory, which weighs just over 1kg. It will pull up to about 450 milliamps and I have been operating one of the 2nd Victory prototypes with an old hand-held TASMA DC controller.

Regards,

Chris

• RMweb Gold

The Pannier has the same motor and drive-train as the Victory, which weighs just over 1kg. It will pull up to about 450 milliamps and I have been operating one of the 2nd Victory prototypes with an old hand-held TASMA DC controller.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks for that information, it's much appreciated.

Upgrading my DCC system to give it a pit more oomph was not an issue, but once I did, it would have become an excuse to get bigger more power hungry motive power.

Having ordered the panniers with sound, I'm now seriously considering upgrading my Ixion Fowler to be a sound fitted loco.

Thanks for that information, it's much appreciated.

Upgrading my DCC system to give it a pit more oomph was not an issue, but once I did, it would have become an excuse to get bigger more power hungry motive power.

Having ordered the panniers with sound, I'm now seriously considering upgrading my Ixion Fowler to be a sound fitted loco.

Here is the EDM sound unit fitted to my Fowler on Cwm Bach:  http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+ixion++fowler+diesel&view=detail&mid=709A6A9799C205C758B6709A6A9799C205C758B6&FORM=VIRE

I read that wrong at first glance, & wondered why you'd want the sound of an American loco in your Fowler.?? :scratchhead: :dontknow: 

EDM... EMD... D'oh!! :rolleyes: :fool:

Edited by F-UnitMad

Whilst I do not wish to criticise Minerva's choice of prototype (which will undoubtably prove popular) I do hope that this doesn't signal a Pavlovian leap towards a torrent of GWR models with little attention paid to other, more interesting, railways. :whistle:

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I do not wish to criticise Minerva's choice of prototype (which will undoubtably prove popular) I do hope that this doesn't signal a Pavlovian leap towards a torrent of GWR models with little attention paid to other, more interesting, railways. :whistle:

...such as the LSWR or SECR obviously.

I understand that there are other railways, but I'm sure there's a typo in your post Chaz. It's spelt "L E S S"

More seriously, I guess the suppliers aim to provide what they think the market will buy - Panniers, Jinties, Terriers, 08's all seem like safe bets. I guess when seen in context of the available RTR Lionheart GW stock and the forthcoming Heljan large Prairie, it might be seen like GW overkill.

I'm no expert on locos from the north and east (nor anything else for that matter!) but perhaps there is an iconic 0-6-0 from that side of the country to "make up the set"? I'd hope that a concerted approach by interested parties might convince someone to take the plunge - if there's a demand.

Best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I had a chat with Chris Basten today about the panniers and their projected delivery dates amongst a number of more technical questions about the prototypes. I assured him I am not expecting mine by the end of the week.

I don't think the decision to produce a pair of GWR prototypes by Minerva is the least bit unexpected, especially as the two partners in the business are both GWR/BR(W)/Constituent Companies modellers.

I know at least four other modellers in 4mm scale would jump if an rtr 14xx came onto the scene, and I'm sure that both the Chris involved with Minerva would be only too happy to look at another prototype providing there was sufficient interest expressed.

I suspect the Dapol version of the panier will be still on the drawing board when Minerva's first run of pannier are sold out, and their decision to announce a 3F Jinty is probably to just 'bag their spot' in the market in the hope that another manufacturer considering such a loco will now look elsewhere. When this (3F) sees the light of day is anyone's guess judging by the flash to bang time on the 08

However, I am a bit off topic here as this thread is about the Minrerva Pannier, and not about other engines from other regions, manufacturers and definitely nothing to do with immediate availibility of Gauge 0 Peco set track points!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2

I had a chat with Chris Basten today about the panniers and their projected delivery dates amongst a number of more technical questions about the prototypes. I assured him I am not expecting mine by the end of the week.

I don't think the decision to produce a pair of GWR prototypes by Minerva is the least bit unexpected, especially as the two partners in the business are both GWR/BR(W)/Constituent Companies modellers.

I know at least four other modellers in 4mm scale would jump if an rtr 14xx came onto the scene, and I'm sure that both the Chris involved with Minerva would be only too happy to look at another prototype providing there was sufficient interest expressed.

I suspect the Dapol version of the panier will be still on the drawing board when Minerva's first run of pannier are sold out, and their decision to announce a 3F Jinty is probably to just 'bag their spot' in the market in the hope that another manufacturer considering such a loco will now look elsewhere. When this (3F) sees the light of day is anyone's guess judging by the flash to bang time on the 08

However, I am a bit off topic here as this thread is about the Minrerva Pannier, and not about other engines from other regions, manufacturers and definitely nothing to do with immediate availibility of Gauge 0 Peco set track points!

The Terrier and now the Jinty are being done by Dapol, leaves the J72 for someone to do?

AND  as you say the 14xx/58xx types.....(I have a kit to build).....

I too, suspect that Minerva will be prompt to market and Im glad that the models will come unnumbered (sensible and useful with locos that are fitted with plates - unless the manufacturer uses transfers which can be easily covered by a plate by those who wish to do so), I would love the 74xx (ie the Fairford connection) but as they come with, in effect, numbers/numbered with moulded aspects to them - ie a bit more of a challenge to re-number and thus damage to paintwork will ensue - Im still unsure....you never know I may end up with two Minerva locos instead. Im really looking forward to the 8750s, to my 8750 and Im sure Chris and Chris will do us all proud.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 3

I understand that there are other railways, but I'm sure there's a typo in your post Chaz. It's spelt "L E S S"

More seriously, I guess the suppliers aim to provide what they think the market will buy - Panniers, Jinties, Terriers, 08's all seem like safe bets. I guess when seen in context of the available RTR Lionheart GW stock and the forthcoming Heljan large Prairie, it might be seen like GW overkill.

I'm no expert on locos from the north and east (nor anything else for that matter!) but perhaps there is an iconic 0-6-0 from that side of the country to "make up the set"? I'd hope that a concerted approach by interested parties might convince someone to take the plunge - if there's a demand.

Best

Simon

Yes, and on past form it would likely be another bl**dy J50. I must say I'm not a big fan of wish lists, taking the view that if you want a thing that badly there is always kit building or even (whisper so as not to alarm) scratchbuilding....

No, it has to be faced, the potential market for the products of Swindon is probably as great as all the others combined so we are stuck with all the copper topped chimneys, cast number plates and numerous classes as hard to tell apart as migratory warblers (birds).

Do you remember the days when Railway Modeller's "Layout of the Month" was nearly always an apparently identical GW branch line terminus - single platform with a run round loop, a bay for a railcar or a 14xx and auto coach, a couple of sidings and a tiny engine shed - YAWN. You could go to a local show and see much the same layout, often in multiples, until you were left wondering why anyone would want to copy the same idea over and over. And you can still see the same layout reproduced, even now. :cry:

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

Yes, and on past form it would likely be another bl**dy J50. I must say I'm not a big fan of wish lists, taking the view that if you want a thing that badly there is always kit building or even (whisper so as not to alarm) scratchbuilding....

No, it has to be faced, the potential market for the products of Swindon is probably as great as all the others combined so we are stuck with all the copper topped chimneys, cast number plates and numerous classes as hard to tell apart as migratory warblers (birds).

Do you remember the days when Railway Modeller's "Layout of the Month" was nearly always an apparently identical GW branch line terminus - single platform with a run round loop, a bay for a railcar or a 14xx and auto coach, a couple of sidings and a tiny engine shed - YAWN. You could go to a local show and see much the same layout, often in multiples, until you were left wondering why anyone would want to copy the same idea over and over. And you can still see the same layout reproduced, even now. :cry:

Chaz

I for one would like to see more mainline GWR layouts to complement those of Eastern persuasion seen on the exhibition circuit.

I for one would like to see more mainline GWR layouts to complement those of Eastern persuasion seen on the exhibition circuit.

YES, YES, YES to mainline GWR layouts - but please no more near identical GW BLTs*, or at least if you must why not do the junction?

*Doesn't the fact that there is an instantly understood abreviation tell us something?

Edited by chaz

Space, I guess.

'Tis curious how the GW, with fabulous named trains drawn by arguably the most technologically advanced locos of their day, is typically modelled as a BLT, (ye gods, even I'm doing it, albeit with big locos, a sort of North Wales version of Kingswear or Fishguard.) and the archetype for the East Coast is the Flying Scotsman, or an A4 (suggesting Heljan & Hattons have their collective head screwed on, as you might expect, with the forthcoming steam era models), despite the profusion of eminently modellable branch lines in the north and east, and even round Stratford. I'd be surprised if there were not as many branches, mile for mile, on each of the other major companies, I'm sure the stock is as interesting and the scenery as photogenic. So why the GW BLT?

A BLT would still be a BLT if located in Fife or East Kent. A rose by any other name, perhaps? I do recall a very impressive model of Ramsgate in RM some years ago. Maybe that was an MLT?

I'd love the space (and money) to run 8, 10 or even 12 coach trains behind my larger locos - short of a significant premium bond win, it's not looking likely...

Meanwhile, these Panniers are looking very attractive.

(And I agree with you about the Collet thing, but don't speak too loud, Heather is building one)

Best

Simon

• Like 1

............... or at least if you must why not do the junction?

I am!!!

One thing I will admit to, is a likening for the workaday 0-6-0 Eastern region tender loco, especially the J39, which was done RTR by Tower I believe.

Back on topic though, Talyllyn Junction will be reverberating to a few Panniers around June, and judging by Minerva's previous locomotives, I'm certain that none of us, who have them ordered, will be dissapointed.

Jinty ;)

• Like 3

There's far more variety for GWR modellers who go back in time, when all the locos didn't look the same. Even the gauge can be different if you go back as far as I do! I'm quite relieved Minerva are doing yet another boring modern GWR loco though, as I'm sticking to modelling the GWR in 4mm, and other subjects in 7mm. Although I'm tempted to check drawings of the 57xx against the early classes of pannier. No, I mustn't!!

There's far more variety for GWR modellers who go back in time, when all the locos didn't look the same. Even the gauge can be different if you go back as far as I do! I'm quite relieved Minerva are doing yet another boring modern GWR loco though, as I'm sticking to modelling the GWR in 4mm, and other subjects in 7mm. Although I'm tempted to check drawings of the 57xx against the early classes of pannier. No, I mustn't!!

If you choose the right period the coaches can be crimson lake (a superb colour) and not that insipid brown and cream.

• Like 1

If you choose the right period the coaches can be crimson lake (a superb colour) and not that insipid brown and cream.

But if you do that, the locos have to have boring black wheels and frames. Go back to fully lined brown and cream and they can be Indian red. Go back even further and they can be brown. Then there's the different Wolverhampton works livery too!

Edited by BG John