Radical Changes at MREmag

Hroth

Right!  let me stop any more tirades and rantings here with the following statement:-

I wholeheartedly and unreservedly apologise to all those who I may have offended or upset with my previous post and I retract all of the comments made within it (apart from the bit where it says I'm bitterly disappointed that MREMag has gone which is probably the only bit that is truly meant). I make no effort to defend what in essence was a pretty poor post from me which, if anyone on here actually knew me would know was not my normal way of doing things.

I trust and hope those who have read what I said (unfortunately i cannot delete it) will accept my apology for posting it and for any offence it may have caused.

I am just a humble railway modeller with many many years of experience and have thoroughly enjoyed reading (and occasionally contributing to) what was the MREmag having your say section, going back almost to when it first appeared on our screens. Any comment i made connecting the crash with the demise of MREmag was purely wild speculation on my part and I fully retract that statement and apologise for making it in the first place.

I can also assure aussiebrfan that my brain is fully engaged now and yes, it had slipped a gear last night!

• Like 3

I feel that I must add my own voice to those who are missing their thrice weekly "fix" from MreMag. I too used to look forward to a quick browse with my morning cuppa. Whilst much of the content was not necessarily relevant to my modelling interests, it was easy to skip over this content, particularly if discussions became heated. As a small time contributor I wish to add my thanks to Phil Parker for his impartial stewardship, he will be missed from the editorial team.

I had not discovered the mag in Pat Hammond's time, but wish to pass on my thanks for his contributions.

I particularly miss the Friday tea break videos. Many asks to Brian McDermott for these, and for all his many contributions on historical points.

Finally my thanks to all the regular contributors who have provided so many historical facts over the years. Although I am a GWR/LMS modeller (joint lines so mainly the former) I have learned a lot about other parts of the railway network.

I do hope that the new format of the magazine will allow the publishers to retain the HYS section in a similar form to that which has existed up to now. To move away to a totally forum based offering will in my view totally change the nature of things and remove the immediacy of replays to questions raised. However I am prepared to wait and see before forming any judgements. It would be good if the publishing team could update their 'holding' page with some information on progress.

Colin M.

• Like 2

I note that the MreMag team have a stand booked at the Warley show next weekend. Under the current circumstances, I wonder if they will actually turn up and man the stand? If so we might get some news on their progress.

I will be at Warley so hopefully I'll get chance to go and enquire.

Colin M.

So despite all the negative comments and conspiracy theories the new MRE is here.

Not read every word yet but on a quick look I'm impressed. It's certainly got the improved layout I'd hoped for.

Content must have been targeted just for me too. One article on a local line (Karangahape Gorge, NZ), and another related to Tonbridge, my birth place.

Mildly disappointed that it requires yet another new app for my I-devices, but it seems easy to use, so no great drama.

Wishing the team the very best wishes for the future.

• RMweb Premium

So despite all the negative comments and conspiracy theories the new MRE is here.

Not read every word yet but on a quick look I'm impressed. It's certainly got the improved layout I'd hoped for.

Well worth the wait - and 72 pages - much more than I expected. Let's hope the team can keep this up - both quality and quantity.

I note that the MreMag team have a stand booked at the Warley show next weekend. Under the current circumstances, I wonder if they will actually turn up and man the stand? If so we might get some news on their progress.

I will be at Warley so hopefully I'll get chance to go and enquire.

Colin M.

According to the list of exhibitors, traders, etc, they were due to appear at our local show at the end of October, but (unsurprisingly) didn't appear as there was nothing to talk about!

Now the New MRE is up, the situation has changed.  I'm just going to have a browse!

After a quick WHS style flick through, I must say I'm impressed by the breadth and scope of the first issue.  I hope they can keep it up!  (and I liked the article on the WKJ layout.  My photo of the original platform doesn't have the track and is in a lot more disrepair...)

Edited by Hroth

Well, I get a message saying "Sorry, the page you've requested isn't here" and I can't see anything when browsing the Issuu site.  That's trying to access it via a PC with Chrome or Internet Explorer.  Has anyone else accessed the e-zine via a PC?

• RMweb Premium

Well, I get a message saying "Sorry, the page you've requested isn't here" and I can't see anything when browsing the Issuu site.  That's trying to access it via a PC with Chrome or Internet Explorer.  Has anyone else accessed the e-zine via a PC?

I used my normal link on my mobile and got straight in. I have only had a quick flick through a few of the pages but it looks very good at a glance.

• RMweb Premium

I had no problem accessing it with my PC earlier but it doesn't seem to work now. I get a "Sorry, the page you've requested isn't here." message on the ISSUU website.

Al

Hmmmmm....

Using the old MREmag link in my bookmarks, I got the page saying "go here" and went!

As of 21:00 today its working fine, though as it appears to be Flash based, Firefox officiously blocked my un-updated Flash plugin from running!  Once I'd told it to do it anyway, everything worked fine.

(Win7 Pro/Firefox v50.0)

I suppose some might say it's poetic justice after my regrettable tirade but I can't access the new MREMag on my computer at work because it is a blocked website. Quite possibly due to the flash content which is restricted on workplace PC's.  I guess my read in the office will now have to be restricted to a read at home only. I'll take the punishment :cry:

Flash crashes trying to load page 46, but 48 onwards works. What's wrong with nice simple HTML pages without Flash, JavaScript and other gimmicks? There's nothing in the content of pages that needs anything more than plain HTML.

It all worked fine for me and without specifically downloading anything on my tablet (does it automatically do that when you click on 'view the mag'?)

Content was varied and interesting with a fair amount of it, and without  being overtly swamped with adverts (like MRH). Obviously it's a first issue and there is room for improvement (style, design, content) but that will come with experience and time. So overall an encouraging and welcome start.

G.

Flash crashes trying to load page 46, but 48 onwards works. What's wrong with nice simple HTML pages without Flash, JavaScript and other gimmicks? There's nothing in the content of pages that needs anything more than plain HTML.

I had the same problem with P46 and had to reload the page several times. Once I'd found out how to get the content to scroll vertically like the old MREmag I found it easier to read (on a laptop). When I tried the 2 pages display it kept resizing itself each new page. But ok for me in vertical mode, though it scrolls rather jerkily.

Thought there was a very good spread of content,  liked the New Zealand locos particularly, layouts in different scales  and the reviews of unusual bits of kit like the expanded polystyrene cutter, that I wouldn't otherwise have gone and looked for. 

I read it through (apart from P47 obviously!), it's well done imho and I'll look out for the next one.

Particularly pleased to see some of Robbie McGavin's pics  again,

Just for a moment there I got all excited thinking Simon was about to announce he is investing his huge Hornby payoff ( don't laugh) into a revival of 3mm/TT scale.

But the piece fizzled out, as 3mm always seems to.

Come on. We're in Breaking the Mould / To Hell with what the Polls Say Year........

It all depends on whether the person laying it out is conversant with CSS and all the other magical tricks to make a layout work in HTML, its easier to do it in Flash.  Even if Flash is a deprecated technology with more holes than a string vest.

It could also be connected with DRM issues.

• RMweb Premium

Having had time to read the first issue, I am very impressed with the content but sadly trying to read it is a major pain. The pages will not scroll smoothly. Sometimes it works and then it decides not to. 

If they can get the scrolling to work like most other pages on web site do then it will be great but I am seriously put off by the current jerky and inconsistent working of the site. My old ZX81 was smoother.