Radical Changes at MREmag

Hroth

I had not thought of using a bigus email , as normally they send you a link. Does not worry me as I hae several email accountsand keep the important ones free of junk , or potential junk, after i had a problem with messages getting through concerning my 3D print designs. It was easy to download, and is now easy to read offline.

Like advertising you just have to put up with the junk etc, if you want smething for free. easyto ignore

• RMweb Premium

Good to see that issue three is available and a very quick look through it makes me think there is plenty of interesting articles to study over the next few weeks.

I just wish they would alter their banner as it says that it is published three times a week which has not been true for over six months! I know they are busy trying to get the whole thing working but having the old banner still in place does not look good.

Looks like it was a settings issue, the link ffrom the "holding page" loads straight into the emag with a download icon that gives you the pdf and doesn't want to drag you into issuu!

As for the banner, I'd rather they sorted out the new website and ensured that there was less possibility of it collapsing as dramatically as the old one did.  Once the new website goes live, the old banner (and all the temporary text on the page) will be swept into oblivion as we move into the broad, sunlit uplands of the New World!

Ahem!

• RMweb Gold

The link takes me straight to issu.com. As a windows 2 in 1 user this is no use as I can't pre-download the mag. Hopefully in future it will be in PDF format so I can download it to read on the train the next day or when I've got wifi access.

The link takes me straight to issu.com. As a windows 2 in 1 user this is no use as I can't pre-download the mag. Hopefully in future it will be in PDF format so I can download it to read on the train the next day or when I've got wifi access.

okay, I'm using Windows 7, but although the link takes me to the issuu.com website, there is still a download link in the top left, that allows me to download a .pdf.

The "mag" is a pit mixed up IMO - reviews scattered throughout, the only article I read was Simon Kolhers and even then found that not entirely correct with the implication that Dapol, Replica and Bachmnn all came into the marketplace and roughly the same time. Dapol and Replica yes but Bachmann were a while later.

• 4 weeks later...

It will be wait and see as far as Having your Say is concerned because it seems to be just another forum and we have a good enough one here so I can't see what it will achieve.What I have missed is the non forum format that worked so well and the many informative communications from the likes of Brian McDermott and others who were a veritable mine of information and always seemed to know where to look for it.

• 3 weeks later...

The old "Have Your Say" had a "Letters to the Editor" feel that flowed freely with every issue. It was something I enjoyed reading through thrice weekly.  The forum format forces comments into pigeonholes and there is the probability that something of interest will be missed because its ended up in a classification that does not attract the interest of the browser.

Of course, the forum format has been chosen because it does not need the hands-on effort that the former HYS needed.  And that was the killer for the old HYS.

I suppose I'll keep an eye on it (Though it took almost a month before I realised that the revamp had finally gone online), but I don't think I'll register as a contributor .

• 2 weeks later...

The latest MREmag is now available from the site.

I found it a much more enjoyable read than the previous issues and with further contributions it will hopefully improve even further.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The latest MREmag is now available from the site.

I found it a much more enjoyable read than the previous issues and with further contributions it will hopefully improve even further.

In fact you can enjoy reviews of Tri-ang Collectibles twice!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting past a few life and health 'issues', I am slowly getting my UK rail modelling bug back. Upon catching up, went to the MRE website, to see how the metamorphosis had evolved.

The magazine is interesting, but does UK modelling really need another magazine, when established ones, both general and those put out by specific gauge Guilds, Societies, and Associations? Seems like more dilution.

As for "Having Your Say" it it's forum format, guess that won't fly too long. Very few postings since it's inception, does not have anywhere the feel of the old format. Simon mentioned in a early issue of the new Mag he was excited that HYS was due back soon, as he missed opening and reading it in the AM with a cup of tea. I would guess he is still missing it.

Even the idea of it being moderated does not seem to be working. A post regarding Peco's new (last spring) OO BH rail was posted in the 009 sub forum. A mod stated he had requested admin to create a new OO sub, so he could move the post. That was months ago, and it's still there.

I guess, such is progress. I'll miss MRE. R.I.P

Jim F

Edited by JimF51

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...