Can we expect a model pack of 43002/43185?

Wigan Wallgate OO Gauge

Problem is the stripes don't match up and will look awful if done like that on a model.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63873250@N08/29391575014

Cheers,

Mick

That was my first thought: will they do the 43185 livery true to prototype or move the stripes slightly so it looks better?!  They should really do the former, but you know there'll be complaints about a livery error!

Edited by BR(S)
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a shame. It's such an iconic livery. Shame to be spoilt by something so easy to get right with a little patience. Would make a great model pack though.

Edited by Hilux5972

I'd get a pack

But not with that Intercity livery replicated - it is a mess. Looking at the original livery, the grey should finish just above the height of the van door runner. On the newest iteration of 43185, the grey extends too far down the bodyside, level with the bottom of the door runner. This means the red stripe is too low. They have raised it up on the cab door i would imagine to get it round the light clusters. What a complete mess! I hope it is sorted out, because then it will look magnificent.

Here's a thought for the pack - I'm not keen on the idea of a dummy power car, given the difference in price, and the fact that it is unlikely these two PCs will be kept together, I'd rather have two motorised locos!

Edited by G-BOAF

Guest spet0114

I expect this will be a minority opinion, but I rather hope that with the departure of Mr Kohler, Locomotion will get back to what they do so well - spectacular models of the national collection - and leave the random models of HST power cars to someone else.

• RMweb Gold

I expect this will be a minority opinion, but I rather hope that with the departure of Mr Kohler, Locomotion will get back to what they do so well - spectacular models of the national collection - and leave the random models of HST power cars to someone else.

I'm rather bemused by this assertion.Is it based on knowledge or speculation ? To say the very least it is unkind.

Guest spet0114

It is an empirical observation of behaviour, coupled with an opinion of the likely cause. Whether it is unkind or not is down to personal viewpoint and, as I state at the beginning, I don't expect everyone to agree.

I've mentioned this to the 125 group this afternoon, with the response that it would definitely be worth looking at, even for them with a marketing standpoint. Let's wait and see what happens, although typically someone will announce something just as I finish my repaints!

Cheers,

Edited by 60800

I've mentioned this to the 125 group this afternoon, with the response that it would definitely be worth looking at, even for them with a marketing standpoint. Let's wait and see what happens, although typically someone will announce something just as I finish my repaints!

Cheers,

Did they say anything about StripeGate (the bodged stripes on 43185)?

Edited by G-BOAF

Funnily enough, no. Everyone who attended was just happy enough that 43185 was back in the Swallow livery and I'm personally not bothered. Sir Kenneth noticed the bodge behind the handrail just aft of the cab door but honestly wasn't fussed. Very good day all around, especially when the BBC arts department stepped in and got him to graffiti it! It was water soluble spray paint of course haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Like the IC liveried power car, the sides are vinyl overlays and the cabside and end is painted.

Cheers

Mick 

Is it that way around? I assumed the cabsides/front ends were vinyls and the sides were painted? It's a shame 43185 looks quite as awful as it does! It's not even round the nose either.

Is it that way around? I assumed the cabsides/front ends were vinyls and the sides were painted? It's a shame 43185 looks quite as awful as it does! It's not even round the nose either.

Painted cabs and vinyl sides. Tell tail sign is in certain light you can see the 'sections' of vinyl. VTEC power cars are the same; theres a video online of them painting the cab end. The IC Swallow one is most evident for these lines, shows up at most angles from the photos i've seen online.

Edited by srihaggis

• RMweb Premium

Personally this is one of the few cases where I'd rather the model were NOT quite accurate, I'd rather have the stripes straight. Hopefully it'll be corrected. It's definitely the sides that are vinyl and paint on the cabs, you can see the joins between the sheets on the sides.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...