Can we expect a model pack of 43002/43185?

Wigan Wallgate OO Gauge

That looks a lot better!

In does indeed. I saw '185 at Paddington yesterday and noticed the red stripe was better. But why the small numbers on the nose???!

Really took me back years, although a little too clean, and makes the wrong sounds :-p

Edited by G-BOAF

• 3 months later...

One down, one to go.....

post-16674-0-78176200-1495452259_thumb.jpg

post-16674-0-58080400-1495452304_thumb.jpg

002 seen trundling around Penna Lane TMD about a week after I finished it

Something tells me it will take me even longer to finish 185

Cheers,

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for the replies all,

43185 will be done with the wonky red stripe and large numbers as seen at York as that is how I've seen it, simple as :)

Cheers,

You know how, when you want to paint a perfect straight line, sometimes it goes wonky?  Does that mean if you TRY and paint it wonky, it will come out straight?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Locomotion No. 3

We will have the last few remaining HST Power Car packs comprising No. 43238 named 'National Railway Museum 40 Years' accompanied by Virgin Trains East Coast No. 43312 on the Locomotion Models stand at Alexandra Palace this weekend. No. 43238 was named on 23rd September 2015 to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the opening of The National Railway Museum at York in 1975.

hornbynrm-exclusive-r3502-class-43-hst-nrm40_862.jpg.4788b009f7f70464a8244c5c35cd7d0a.jpg

These twin pack HST power cars were produced exclusively for us by Hornby (R3502).

Dennis Lovett

Exclusive Models Marketing Executive

Locomotionmodels.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Locomotion No. 3

I initially responded in the Locomotion Models New Releases thread relating to the N Gauge market on March 1st. It is repeated below;

Catering for the N Scale market is far more difficult. Experience gained in my previous employment taught me that it takes far longer to sell N Scale limited edition models than it does  OO Scale ones, N Scale limited edition models taking years rather than months to sell. There is not the same potential market for limited edition releases in N Scale at the present time as there is in OO, although that may change in future. 

Whilst we will continue to monitor the N Scale situation, it is not a market that Locomotion Models has on its radar currently.

Dennis Lovett

Exclusive Models Marketing Executive

Locomotionmodels.com

Edited by Locomotion No. 3

There are noises that 43002 will become part of the National Collection when it is retired. Might this precipitate a model?

O/T. Personally I hope at some point it could be jointed by 198 (as a first and last pair) but 198 is staying with FGW for the 5-car operations.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/04/2019 at 18:31, G-BOAF said:

There are noises that 43002 will become part of the National Collection when it is retired. Might this precipitate a model?

O/T. Personally I hope at some point it could be jointed by 198 (as a first and last pair) but 198 is staying with FGW for the 5-car operations.

That would be 4-car operation, but other than that you are correct.

Oh I would have a set as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Perhaps.

Although looking at it logically - Hornby know this pack would sell, so perhaps they have wanted to get the GWR Green done and dusted first.  It also goes well, with 2020 being an anniversary year, as long as they don't go OTT, and get there original tooling out!  The other option of course could be a Hornby standard run with the NRM having a L/E with gloss finish.

Regards,

C.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, dogbox321 said:

Perhaps.

Although looking at it logically - Hornby know this pack would sell, so perhaps they have wanted to get the GWR Green done and dusted first.  It also goes well, with 2020 being an anniversary year, as long as they don't go OTT, and get there original tooling out!  The other option of course could be a Hornby standard run with the NRM having a L/E with gloss finish.

Regards,

C.

Personally I think the maximum sales window has passed for 43002/43185 as a pack. If it could have been produced when they were still in GWR service, then yes, but we'd already seen several original (blue/grey/yellow) packs in the last few years, so Hornby perhaps considered GWR green would be a better seller, especially with the 4-5 car sets being more manageable on smaller layouts. And people would also buy in anticipation of the new sliding door Mk3s currently under development. We don't know the overall numbers but the repeats of different sets in GWR green would suggest on-going demand.

It's a shame the prototype power car has been returned to the NRM if that means it's operational service is over. Perhaps we could have seen 41001 working with 43002 in preservation. If Hornby took the plunge now the previous model has been dropped, that would I think be a popular train pack.

• Like 1

Whilst I would agree, that a product is always a faster seller, when its current.  Certain items like a 43002/185 is more iconic, and would appeal to people who want  set to run, or for in a cabinet.  When you think of the amount of people who have a set of Hornby GWR Mk3's, then by your hypothesis, in 6 months time everyone will be selling them off on e-bay, to make way for the sliding door variant. A few may, but the reality is there are lots of sets of GWR Mk3's out there, and with 43002/185 (as they didn't always work together), then people could chop and change units within their GWR coaching stock.  Likewise, they could use 43002/185 with their GWR slam door Mk3's, and use a GWR pair with the sliding door variant.  The only thing left for the GWR Green, is a set with Castle nameplates, to accompany the sliding door Mk3's, but you can still get the first 2 GWR Green HST power car sets from some places!

Slightly off topic but from  the 2019 range - the one that really gets me, is the proposed numbers for the XC set - as one of the power cars were done with the original XC set!

Regards,

C.

• 2 months later...