Starting in 2mm scale - advice please.

Craigw

Hello everyone,

I am a long time lurker in this group. I modelled N gauge in the late 1970s when I made the change to modelling (Local) New South Wales railways in HO scale. Some years later and I am now a P4 GWR modeller. I have, however, never lost my fascination with N and especially 2mm scale. Tonight I sent off my application to the 2mm scale society and plan on having a bit of a dabble. I model 1920s GWR in P4 land but in 2mm scale I would like to model 1950s - 1960s  Forest of Dean. This obviously means a Pannier for a start.

I noted that all the society products seem geared towards the Farish 57XX but I must confess that the body seems rather rudimentary. There was a discussion on here about converting the Dapol one but none seem to have been completed on that thread. Has anyone converted one and is it something a first time 2mm scale modeller could do?

I really would welcome thoughts from people as I have no 2mm scale models so this is a fresh start!

Regards,

Craig W

The Dapol Pannier has been converted successfully, I just read the article last night. It's in the February/March 2016 issue of the 2mm Magazine. I'm not sure if back issues are available, if they're not I'm sure someone could scan it for you. The conversion described there uses most of the Dapol mechanism along with components from the Association and looks pretty straight forward, at least to me.

Hello everyone,

I am a long time lurker in this group. I modelled N gauge in the late 1970s when I made the change to modelling (Local) New South Wales railways in HO scale. Some years later and I am now a P4 GWR modeller. I have, however, never lost my fascination with N and especially 2mm scale. Tonight I sent off my application to the 2mm scale society and plan on having a bit of a dabble. I model 1920s GWR in P4 land but in 2mm scale I would like to model 1950s - 1960s  Forest of Dean. This obviously means a Pannier for a start.

I noted that all the society products seem geared towards the Farish 57XX but I must confess that the body seems rather rudimentary. There was a discussion on here about converting the Dapol one but none seem to have been completed on that thread. Has anyone converted one and is it something a first time 2mm scale modeller could do?

I really would welcome thoughts from people as I have no 2mm scale models so this is a fresh start!

Regards,

Craig W

Craig,

Welcome to the 2mm Scale Association.

As Gareth has mentioned, there is an article in the 2mm magazine on converting the Dapol pannier to 2mm finescale. When you get your membership pack, you will find the details for how to access the magazine backnumbers on the website to see this. I think that a batch of the conversion bearings described in this article will be available from the 2mm shop soon.

As well as the Dapol pannier, Farish have recently released a model of the 64xx Pannier tank. I've just sent a pack of the etches for converting this loco to 2mm scale to our sales officer, so these will appear in the 2mm shop shortly. The conversion uses the same design as the Farish Jinty, Ivatt 2-6-0 and WD locos. The photo below shows one of the 64xx pannier locos converted by Julia Adams using one of the trial etches.

post-8055-0-99441100-1475253606_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Andy

I would go for the 64XX myself. Even with the bearings mentioned by Andy, the Dapol 57XX conversion requires the chassis to be stripped to get the wheels out. Plus you need to sort out the coupling rods and balance weights - unless you buy the Association 57XX conversion chassis just for those.

Whereas the 64XX wheels drop straight out, and you can put the new sets in. The upcoming etch will cover the rods and balance wieghts.

64xx-ers were well known 'down the Forest'.

You could of course do both. One cannot have too many Panniers...

Chris

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I have paid for the membership and will wait for things to be finalised before I pull the pin either way! I am however, swayed a little at the moment by the 64XX which might be simpler. Of course the logical thing to do is convert one loco, build or convert a few wagons and build a little track as a test. I shall try to follow logic for once and I will of course post any progress on here.

Regards,

Craig W

As the conversion etch isn't out yet it may make more sense to build some wagons, build some track, and convert a bogie deisel, one of the Farish ones with drop in wheels. That's the fastest way to get up and running.

From the sound of it, the etch is likely to be available pretty soon, if its already gone to the shop.

If you are around London on the 15th, go along to the AGM at Keen House. There will be a lot of modellers to talk to there, models to see, and you can inspect and buy Association components.

Chris

The suggestion to find an area group or visit Keen house are both very good ideas, except for the trivial fact that I live in Australia. Hopefully, there might be 2mm scale modeller in the Sydney area - I shall keep my fingers crossed on that one. At this point I am tending towards grabbing a 64xx to play with but I will wait until I get any membership things first so I can actually buy things from the stores.

Regards,

Craig W

The suggestion to find an area group or visit Keen house are both very good ideas, except for the trivial fact that I live in Australia. Hopefully, there might be 2mm scale modeller in the Sydney area - I shall keep my fingers crossed on that one. At this point I am tending towards grabbing a 64xx to play with but I will wait until I get any membership things first so I can actually buy things from the stores.

Regards,

Craig W

There are an enthusiatic and active group of Association members in Australia who hold an annual super-meet (this year it was in Brisbane) and keep in touch. They even produce their own one-off models each year. Some at least are in Sydney. Once your membership comes through you should join the Association VAG (a yahoo based group) as they tend to be more active on there than here. Kevin Knight normally is  the spokesman, John Brenchley models GWR (he is from Perth though) and Phil Badger (also well known as one of the founders of Ixion models) is from Sydney.

Chris

There are an enthusiatic and active group of Association members in Australia who hold an annual super-meet (this year it was in Brisbane) and keep in touch. They even produce their own one-off models each year. Some at least are in Sydney. Once your membership comes through you should join the Association VAG (a yahoo based group) as they tend to be more active on there than here. Kevin Knight normally is  the spokesman, John Brenchley models GWR (he is from Perth though) and Phil Badger (also well known as one of the founders of Ixion models) is from Sydney.

Chris

Craig and Chris

The next super-meet will in fact be in Sydney late September 2017 hosted by Phil Badger.   Kevin is very approachable.  He runs a blog http://sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com.au/ although he hasn't posted there for a while.

Craig, like you I am starting out but unlike you with those very nice 4mm models I am accountant and I am technically challenged.  But I am making headway.

Not sure how many 2mmFS modellers there are in Sydney but there is only 3 of us in Adelaide, me, myself and I.

Welcome to the group; enjoy yourself.

Kind regards

Geoff

I can certainly recommend the Australian supermeets. Unfortunately circumstances have dictated that I've only been able to attend the 2014 event but it was a great do. Get to one if you can. You will learn much and meet some great people.

Craig and Chris

The next super-meet will in fact be in Sydney late September 2017 hosted by Phil Badger.   Kevin is very approachable.  He runs a blog http://sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com.au/ although he hasn't posted there for a while.

Craig, like you I am starting out but unlike you with those very nice 4mm models I am accountant and I am technically challenged.  But I am making headway.

Not sure how many 2mmFS modellers there are in Sydney but there is only 3 of us in Adelaide, me, myself and I.

Welcome to the group; enjoy yourself.

Kind regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff (and PatB),

My modelling was in N gauge in the late 1970s until I decided (in 1980) to model NSW railways in HO. That eventually changed to 4mm scale P4 but I have had a yearning for many years to have a go at 2 mm scale. I want to do something a  little different from my 1920s GWR - so Forest of Dean in the 1950s it will probably be. I do know Phil Badger from my involvement in the local scene so me turning up to play in 2mm scale should give him a laugh!

Regards,

Craig W

• 2 weeks later...

I'll delurk long enough to say that contact made and hopefully Craig is on his way to being another productive member Down Under. 

As mentioned, next year's Australasian Supermeet is in Sydney - 22-24 September if you are interested in coming out (or over - we'd love to have one of the Kiwi brethren join us) arrangements for free beds can be made - although I'd think you'd probably be best to bring the other half and stay for a bit longer seeing the sights around the place.

I promise to try and do better on keeping the blog up to date - problem is work and modelling get in the way.   Trying to find out why my Hudswell Clarke runs backwards but not forwards (and runs fine with the wheels out....)

Planning another Locomotive for next year along with the now traditional wagon.  We are hoping to get the HC into kit production in 2017 for those interested in having one.  Details will be forth coming in the Magazine as to what it is about and for members to purchase hopefully by Feb/Mar.  Certainly we are hoping to off load our surplus wagon kits to Shop 2 (or the Central Shop - haven't ironed out the details with Mr Central Shop) in due course.

Many thanks for contacting me and the invitation the Area Group. I know Phil Badger already via my involvement in Australian modelling so he is not a new face.

I sent an order off tonight for some wagons. 4 x 16 ton mineral wagons and 2 x 1923 RCH. I think that will keep me busy for a while!

After barging in to here, I might even post my progress and please for help.

Regards,

Craig W

Archived