Oxford Rail announce OO gauge 6-wheeled GWR Toad Brake Van

MGR Hooper!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As ever one can but wish that people using era numbers and quoting livery dates would get them right.  The livery is not 'Post 1936' as RU branding appears not to have come into use until WWII, c.1942 and it very definitely wasn't in use in 1936.  The Bridport van was actually post-war allocation.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• 1 month later...

As ever one can but wish that people using era numbers and quoting livery dates would get them right.  The livery is not 'Post 1936' as RU branding appears not to have come into use until WWII, c.1942 and it very definitely wasn't in use in 1936.  The Bridport van was actually post-war allocation.

Gentlemen,

Is anybody able to tell me which of the 2 Br models (Bordesley Junc.or Wolverhampton ) is best suited for a 1955--58 layout?

Thanks,

Ed

• 1 month later...

Got my GW version today, and am delighted.  But there is one problem, and that is with the NEM coupler pockets, which are too short.  As a consequence my Kadee replacements change length when direction is reversed. I can fix this but it is very frustrating.  A bit like when Bachmann had cranked NEM couplers and insisted that NEM was only for H0. I remember the dismissive comments from Bachmann's marketing well.   . 

As a fellow Kadee user, what did you do to fix this?  I changed the couplings on mine today and found the same problem.

• RMweb Gold

Gentlemen,

Is anybody able to tell me which of the 2 Br models (Bordesley Junc.or Wolverhampton ) is best suited for a 1955--58 layout?

Thanks,

Ed

Did they last that long in revenue service? The only picture I have found in the area was on an Engineers train on the Halesowen to Longbridge line in 1955, which I linked in an earlier post around page 4. It appears on the Photo by D J Norton website.

As a fellow Kadee user, what did you do to fix this?  I changed the couplings on mine today and found the same problem.

Funny you should mention this. I have just spent days experimenting with the same phenomenon on the Hatton’s/Oxford ICI wagons. Bachmann coupling pockets didn’t fit. I used contact adhesive in the Oxford pockets. It is strong enough to take the strain of coupling, pushing and pulling yet, with some effort, the bond can be broken and the adhesive pulled off, leaving everything as it was before. For the ICI wagons, short Kadees glued as far towards the centre of the wagon as possible caused buffer lock and the fishtails looked as if they were fouling the leading axle. Pulling them out as far as possible left too big a gap. Gluing them about half-way suited the gentle curves on my layout.

Funny you should mention this. I have just spent days experimenting with the same phenomenon on the Hatton’s/Oxford ICI wagons. Bachmann coupling pockets didn’t fit. I used contact adhesive in the Oxford pockets. It is strong enough to take the strain of coupling, pushing and pulling yet, with some effort, the bond can be broken and the adhesive pulled off, leaving everything as it was before. For the ICI wagons, short Kadees glued as far towards the centre of the wagon as possible caused buffer lock and the fishtails looked as if they were fouling the leading axle. Pulling them out as far as possible left too big a gap. Gluing them about half-way suited the gentle curves on my layout.

Good solution, thanks ... but hardly “NEM” if we’re left doing this ...

Fixing Kadee couplings. I swear by Superglue all plastics for all those fiddly bits including Kadees to kits. Short length of plastic tube to bottom of wagon, cut to length and then All Plastics to fit the Kadee, magic. So in this case glue the Kadee into the pocket.

• RMweb Gold

Running my 4 wheeler in late GW livery on a 1950s layout, not unacceptable, but make sure it is heavily weathered as it is a long time since it visited workshops.  The planked version is fine in this respect, but I would be interested to see how people get on with plating (and rivetting!) theirs as I am up for this as a future project.

Running my 4 wheeler in late GW livery on a 1950s layout, not unacceptable, but make sure it is heavily weathered as it is a long time since it visited workshops.  The planked version is fine in this respect, but I would be interested to see how people get on with plating (and rivetting!) theirs as I am up for this as a future project.

Perfectly acceptable - the 1950s started only two years after the demise of the 'Big Four' and even if painting schedules had returned to pre-war standards the majority of vehicles would still be in the old colours .................. if your layout is set in December 1959 things might have changed a little.

Incidentally is there any real reason the four- and six-wheeled brakes are on different threads ? - there's precious little difference between them !