What Alco do you have?

JAMO

• RMweb Gold

Hello all!

The subject is in the tittle of this thread. Please show us photos of your Alco models, the scale and a little description when needed.

;)

No pics, because they are all RTR models, but I think the current tally is something like :

RS1/2/3, RSD15, S2, DL103b, DL107, FA, FB, PA1, PB. More than one of each in several cases. 

• Like 2

So, I begin to show...

N scale Atlas with Kato wheelsets, M-T couplers a crew and a new paint

San Juan Valley RR #1 & #2

med_gallery_27876_4070_73192.jpg

SJVRR v#3

med_gallery_27876_4070_159827.jpg

More to follow...

I let the space to anyone who want to publish photos of his Alcos ;)

• Like 6

This is my lone Alco; an Atlas O scale Trainman RS3....

post-704-0-72748200-1507964733.jpg

Finished in my freelance "Portway Terminal" livery of 'Heritage' D&H with Portway lettering ;)

"Trainman" is the range derived from 3-rail models, so this has a few tell-tale traces such as side handrails that don't go far enough down at the ends (I replaced the end handrails) and ratherchunky pilots with a spacer piece of plastic filling the 3-rail gap (as 3-rail locos have the pilot & couplers fixed to the trucks), and the hoods are a bit too high to clear the twin motors - noticeable mostly if you look at the cab centre windows which are too shallow.

But it runs nicely enough with a Loksound L decoder for that chugging, spluttering Alco sound. It is just missing a smoke generator capable of blasting out thick, black clouds of Alco clag..!!! :locomotive:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 8

I have a HH600, an S2 and a PA. The HH is my first DCC sound loco, and as a result I can't see myself running much else until the RS11 I've got on order arrives.

Also on the look out for a low-hood RS, and I'd also like an Alco kettle, though small steamers don't seem very popular, so I might be waiting a while.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All in H0: Altlas HH660 (NYC), P2k S1 (PRR), 2 x Atlas S2 (both stripped down to become 1 NKP & 1 NYC) 3 x RS3, all MDC/Roundhouse chassis with: original hoods/Hobbycraft cabs on the 2 NYC Phase 1 units and Stewart Phase 3 shell for the NKP unit.

I've previously had Atlas RS1 (ATSF), Atlas RSD4 (ATSF), Lima C420 (freelance), P2k FA1s and FA2s and a RSD15 (PRR), all of which have now been sold on.

The appeal of Alcos for me is simple - their sound!  Proper diesel sounds.

I only have one but it sounds great. ESU have done a fine job on this Atlas HO Alco C424

post-7898-0-44956400-1475487042_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 3

This is my lone Alco; an Atlas O scale Trainman RS3....

15569918591_707b7e3db5_b_zps3ae6d6ab.jpg

Finished in my freelance "Portway Terminal" livery of 'Heritage' D&H with Portway lettering ;)

"Trainman" is the range derived from 3-rail models, so this has a few tell-tale traces such as side handrails that don't go far enough down at the ends (I replaced the end handrails) and ratherchunky pilots with a spacer piece of plastic filling the 3-rail gap (as 3-rail locos have the pilot & couplers fixed to the trucks), and the hoods are a bit too high to clear the twin motors - noticeable mostly if you look at the cab centre windows which are too shallow.

But it runs nicely enough with a Loksound L decoder for that chugging, spluttering Alco sound. It is just missing a smoke generator capable of blasting out thick, black clouds of Alco clag..!!! :locomotive:

Hi Jordan!

Nice photo of a nice Alco for a shortline.

Thank you for the informations about this RS-3. I have one, a Rio Grande scheme. I didn't know the "Trainman" range was coming from 3RL concept. Yes that's right, the handrails are too short on the ends. You have opened my eyes!!!!

A photo of mine: not yet modified. That's the first model I've bought for O scale.

gallery_27876_4070_133082.jpg

I have to modify the handrails.

After that, I think I'll keep the Rio Grande paint but I'll patch it for my shortline.

The Loksound L decoder is tempting... The sound looks good. I'll see one day...

A black cloud will be great. One day, it's possible we'll have it with the progress of the technics.

Thanks to share ;)

That's an EMD, not an Alco.

I have one of these S scale beasts.

RS11-Undec.JPG

As you can see, it will involve a bit of work to sort out the erroneous arrangement of grilles. In a newly introduced model, I find this sort of error surprising. (Was the development work contracted out to Heljan? :) ) Those couplers will go, too.

Destined to become this, eventually:

1998021701314600097.jpg

Even more modifications required!

Edit: have the latest ESU to fit to it.

Simon,

this S scale RS model looks nice.

• Like 1

The appeal of Alcos for me is simple - their sound!  Proper diesel sounds.

I only have one but it sounds great. ESU have done a fine job on this Atlas HO Alco C424

attachicon.gifnwb 13.5.16 pic 2new.jpg

Exactly! The Alco sound is really special and attractive.

The first time I saw and heard an Alco, I was hooked by this fantastic sound... and the shape.

I like EMD models but my best loved models are always Alcos.

Nice model and nice video! I like the short parts views you've done. The sound isn't boring. Thanks to share.

Edited by JAMO

I answer to anyone who says "my model is RTR, no modification". A photo of an Alco on a layout is always good to see. Any road, any scale. That's great!

The goal of this thread is to share our Alco mania!

;)

Edited by JAMO
  • Like 1

What a nice Alco! But the price is... too high.  :O

I've bought all my O scale models "as new/second hand" and I spent no more $200 to $250 per model.

Ok I've a lot of work to upgrade them but I like that.

Edited by JAMO

That's an EMD, not an Alco.

It is of course Simon, I blame the multitude of meds making my brain a little foggy, hence why i haven't picked up a scalpel yet to do any actual modelling since the op, even though i have time to do so :)

• RMweb Gold

Hello all!

The subject is in the tittle of this thread. Please show us photos of your Alco models, the scale and a little description when needed.

;)

Hi Jamo,

That is a big question to ask!

I currntly have at least 4 7 - at least that's what I have foound so far!

2 Boston and Maine RS1 - Black

2 Boston and Maine RS3 - Maroon

1 Delaware and Hudson RS2 - Blue Grey

1 Rutland RS1 - Rutland Green

1 Maine Central RS11 - MEC Orange

1 Delaware and Hudson C628 - Blue Grey

I have another 2 RS2's that will end up as Maine Central green and a Boston and Maine Blues - after I have finished adding detail and sound but they are not high on my priority list (at present).

If I had money I would be adding a couple (at least) of S1/2/3/4 to go into Boston and Maine plus Maine Central paint.

Thanks

Ah, but are yours brass and professionally painted? ;)

I like that, too.

I expect to have to make detail changes to suit a specific prototype - unless I am lucky(!) - but I am bemused when a newly introduced model was a combination of intake grilles which never existed on the real thing, and none of the reviews mention it.

Yes, I understand. Why don't they have reproduced the prototype model.... ??????

That's strange nobody has told some details aren't prototypical.

Why?????????  :beee:

Ah, but are yours brass and professionally painted? ;)

I like that, too.

I expect to have to make detail changes to suit a specific prototype - unless I am lucky(!) - but I am bemused when a newly introduced model was a combination of intake grilles which never existed on the real thing, and none of the reviews mention it.

Sorry, my models aren't made of brass. They have plastic bodies. 

And I don't need a professional to paint them.  :no:   :mosking:

... but I'm happy with them.

This thread has made me realise I don't own an Alco. In fact it wasn't that long ago that I got my first GE

If Atlas or Bachmann had produced an S2/4 in BEDT colours I'd have one, although as it not what I'm modelling I can't be bothered to paint one

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This thread has made me realise I don't own an Alco. In fact it wasn't that long ago that I got my first GE

If Atlas or Bachmann had produced an S2/4 in BEDT colours I'd have one, although as it not what I'm modelling I can't be bothered to paint one

Hi Tim,

You mean one in paint like these?

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr2380.htm

Thanks