What Alco do you have?

JAMO

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have succumbed again. Well, the pound is doing well at the moment...

41C04727-A7E1-455D-868B-BE1200520C5A.jpeg.fbd47ad6f80c9c8b656a878b08846a83.jpeg

RS-32. No idea what madness overcame me, except. Well, it’s an Alco. 

Don’t model SP nor NYC, so it will be a sold out of service loco on a short line.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Don’t model SP nor NYC, so it will be a sold out of service loco on a short line.

I have always liked the Alligators. What scale is yours?

Edited by J. S. Bach

6 hours ago, Regularity said:

Well, the pound is doing well at the moment...

At £1=$1.24 this must be a new definition of "doing well" that I was previously unaware of, or just that I'm feeling nostalgic for when £1=$2 & shipping from the USA on Ebay was as cheap as chips. :cry: :shout:

Nice model, though. :good:

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

It’s S scale. Strikes me as a strange choice for production in S (only 35 prototypes built), but there you go.

And Jordan, it is actually coming from France, so it is the £/€ rate that is appealing - considerably better than 3 weeks ago when it was close to parity, plus it was a good price and of course there is no VAT as we are still in the EU.

Is it just me, or do Alcos sound a bit like Sulzers? Is there a connection in any way?

Somewhere I have a couple of the old Lima types.....pancake motor bogie[truck] and all!  Purchased for a couple of quids, many decades ago..with the vague idea of a re-power...using maybe old Athearn, or old Model Power...They actually ran quite smoothly [powered and not so powered]....but had pizza cutter wheels..

There I was, wasting money on a second-hand book of modern British wagons to keep in the toilet ... to read that is, when I happened across the Modern Imag ... oh you know MIOG exhibition coming up in November and a mention of 'Acadia Pensilvania' American Freight Layout, which roughly translated (well Pensilvania is Pennsylvania in French ... no really!) I worked out was Dave's (Britannia 70000) Arcadia, Pennsylvania layout on page 15 here.  So American O layout at the MIOG exhibition: 

http://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/exhibition.html

Where's Rawtenstall?  OK, OK, you Northeners, I know, it's one end of the East Lancs Rly and about a 1/2-mile fromy partner's nephew with the spare bedroom  :)

Oh, I'm hoping Dave will have his RS1 there (phew, back on topic).

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jasond said:

Simon, as you know there's no difference to speak of between a model RS32 and RS36, just the label on the box ...

I was wondering how similar it was in outline to the low-nose RS-11: it might explain why it was actually produced as a model in S scale.

sooooooo... painting it D&H Lightning Stripe would be more than acceptable

Well, it is a nice paint scheme: looks very good on Jordan's RS-3.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Regularity said:

This model looks very fine with a lot of sharp details. Great!

7 hours ago, Regularity said:

And Jordan, it is actually coming from France, so it is the £/€ rate that is appealing - considerably better than 3 weeks ago when it was close to parity, plus it was a good price and of course there is no VAT as we are still in the EU....

Ah,gotcha. My mistake. I assumed it was crossing The Pond, rather than The Moat. ;)

Edit: - Sulzers? Alcos? Whatever - they both sound like they're about to fall to pieces. :yes: :mosking:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Ah,gotcha. My mistake. I assumed it was crossing The Pond, rather than The Moat. ;)

I was being purposely ambiguous. Quite why and how one should turn up in France is an interesting question!

Edit: - Sulzers? Alcos? Whatever - they both sound like they're about to fall to pieces.

And they produce the clag to go with it!

• Like 1

On 26/09/2019 at 14:53, Regularity said:

It’s S scale. 

On 26/09/2019 at 14:53, Regularity said:

Is it just me, or do Alcos sound a bit like Sulzers? Is there a connection in any way?

That's a lovely model!

I always thought Alcos sounded more like English Electrics, personally but I have no idea if there are any connections between any of these manufacturers.

Cheers,

John.

Now that I finally have somewhere for it to stretch it's legs, this Northern Pacific S-4 (Atlas) and five assorted Pacific Northwest fallen flag cars has been used to backdate Blue Heron to the 1960s. The next loco on the workbench is also an Alco but a HH660 (also Atlas), to be finished as an ex Walla Walla Valley loco now working in Industry.

IMG_20190922_213420~4.jpg

IMG_20190922_213655~2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/09/2019 at 16:02, jasond said:

There I was, wasting money on a second-hand book of modern British wagons to keep in the toilet ... to read that is, when I happened across the Modern Imag ... oh you know MIOG exhibition coming up in November and a mention of 'Acadia Pensilvania' American Freight Layout, which roughly translated (well Pensilvania is Pennsylvania in French ... no really!) I worked out was Dave's (Britannia 70000) Arcadia, Pennsylvania layout on page 15 here.  So American O layout at the MIOG exhibition: 

http://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/exhibition.html

Where's Rawtenstall?  OK, OK, you Northeners, I know, it's one end of the East Lancs Rly and about a 1/2-mile fromy partner's nephew with the spare bedroom  :)

Oh, I'm hoping Dave will have his RS1 there (phew, back on topic).

Jason

Hi Jason

Sorry for the late response, I have only just read the latest comments.  Your detective work has proved correct, inspite of the novel spelling of Pennsylvania by MIOG!

Our Atlas O RS1#5633 will indeed be making an appearance with APT at Rawtenstall!  So, given that you sound like you may be attracted to the exhibition, do say hello.  That includes any other Alco aficionados on here (Allegheny1600 ? :-) )

Safe journey.

Edited by 70000 Britannia
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
On 28/09/2019 at 09:30, Allegheny1600 said:

That's a lovely model!

I always thought Alcos sounded more like English Electrics, personally but I have no idea if there are any connections between any of these manufacturers.

Cheers,

John.

John,

From what I understand, the they remained decidedly either side of the pond, with parts of EE being subsumed within both BAE but mainly GEC?

I agree about the sounds, elements of Alco, Napier Deltics, and Class 40s have that distinctive ‘ringing’ to them.  Something that European diesels don’t seem to have (may be a little bit with the Voith Maxima or the DRS class 68s?).

Edited by 70000 Britannia
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another Alco nearly finished, ex Walla Walla Valley 770 (Northern Pacific 125) is an Atlas HH660 and finished in the blue livery it carried whilst working at the Port of Longview (WA) until retirement about 20 years ago.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20191105160711255.jpg

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191105155303293_COVER.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Here are a few clips of my latest attempts at Alcos in O scale. In the left corner, an Atlas C424 chassis and in the right a (very) used C&LS RS11 that I recently acquired and upgraded to a coreless gearhead motor. Both use Loksound 5 DCC HO and Tang Band TB1931s speakers. Also showing that the new Loksound 5 DCC motor drive almost makes a silk purse out of the sow's ear that is the Atlas Dual motor drive.  ;)  

Turn up your subwoofer!  :D

Pete

• Like 6