What Alco do you have?

JAMO

• RMweb Premium

I have fallen out with one of my Alcos a SOO Line RS 27. It made Alco noises and crept forward under its own control, then it stopped and won't move at all. It appears to have died my Alco is dead and has shuffled off this mortal coil an ex Alco etc etc.

Err happiness restored operator stupidity was to blame and Alco burble is restored

• Like 1

I have fallen out with one of my Alcos a SOO Line RS 27. It made Alco noises and crept forward under its own control, then it stopped and won't move at all. It appears to have died my Alco is dead and has shuffled off this mortal coil an ex Alco etc etc.

So they're even including authentic reliability?

I concur - sounds to me like perfectly prototypical behaviour for a Soo Line Alco, & why they couldn't wait to get rid of them... :jester:

• 4 weeks later...

Aaaah, RMWeb ... dreaming again ... Western New York and Pennsylvania, I was going to letter a 36ft boxcar for Eastern Tennessee and Northern West Virginia and have the lettering extending beyond the end of the car on a plank. Just as unlikely to happen, but far more possible is part-bashing an Atlas O C424 into a Susie-Q C430 and using up a set of correct Overland Alco trucks that went under these and C415s. More achievable today is to ask what brand the (nicely liveried) RS-3 is Jamo -is it Atlas Trainman?

Jason

• Like 1

The real A&M had a C630M in that livery, #70.  

post-238-0-79770000-1489149652_thumb.jpg

I don't think it worked at all and was off the property pretty quickly - think it's with the Western New York and Pennsylvania nowadays.  There's a whole ragbag of big Alcos in NE shortline service these days.

>edit<

I am such a dumass - didn't read the banner on the side of your big Alco, DanielB!

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1

Aaaah, RMWeb ... dreaming again ... Western New York and Pennsylvania, I was going to letter a 36ft boxcar for Eastern Tennessee and Northern West Virginia and have the lettering extending beyond the end of the car on a plank. Just as unlikely to happen, but far more possible is part-bashing an Atlas O C424 into a Susie-Q C430 and using up a set of correct Overland Alco trucks that went under these and C415s. More achievable today is to ask what brand the (nicely liveried) RS-3 is Jamo -is it Atlas Trainman?

Jason

Yes Jason, it's a RS-3 from ATLAS Trainman.

The real A&M had a C630M in that livery, #70.  

attachicon.gifA_m70.jpg

I don't think it worked at all and was off the property pretty quickly - think it's with the Western New York and Pennsylvania nowadays.  There's a whole ragbag of big Alcos in NE shortline service these days.

>edit<

I am such a dumass - didn't read the banner on the side of your big Alco, DanielB!

Very interesting to learn that the A&M bought a 6 axle Alco.

So I typed on google and I've found the following information:

4500 was retired 12/93 and preserved by a railfan who intended to operate it on a new tourist railway in Ontario. It was too heavy for this old branchline. After trying to get it in an Ontario railway museum where it was too long to enter the building he gave up and it was sold to Arkansas & Missouri a US shortline where it was returned to operation in 1999. A&M an Alco shortline was anticipating a big growth in traffic and acquired other Alco 6 axle units from CNR. The new line was not acquired and due to sharp curves on the exisiting line the units were all disposed of by scrapping except for 70 (4500). It was sold to Livonia Avon & Lakeville a prosperous New York State all-Alco shortline for its new subsidiary, Western New York & Pennsylvania where it became WNYP 630.

The page is here: http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/photos/cpr_diesel/4506.htm

and the attached photo

WNYP_630.jpg

• Like 1

... what brand the (nicely liveried) RS-3 is Jamo -is it Atlas Trainman?

Jason

Yes Jason, it's a RS-3 from ATLAS Trainman.

Like this one... (see also Post#4, Page 1 of this Thread)

post-704-0-50399800-1507842264.jpg

Apologies for yet another Gratuitous Model Alco pic. Oh hang on, that's what this Thread is for.... :scratchhead: :locomotive: :jester:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 2

Waow! What a nice gratis photo of a nice train Jordan!

More Alcos photos please!

You can play "spot the differences" between mine and the 'factory fresh' model !! ;)

Although mine, of course, is a Short Line owned machine, in 'Heritage' livery, not a model of an actual D&H loco, before anyone gets too picky with it!! :rolleyes: :P

• Like 1

Yours is better Jordan. I've suggested to my friend he must do lie you: keep the nice blue and grey scheme and change the company name into a shortline one.  shown him your model. He likes a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Any more info, Jack? Be interesting to know what decoder it is, it sounds different to my Loksound L. Still has that "might fall apart any time" Alco splutter though! :yes: :sungum:

Yes Jordan,

I've found this information under the video:

This is an early Weaver Alco RS3 which I have converted. I replaced the chain drive by 2 O scale Stanton drives (NWSL). Decals are from Microscale. Messing parts and windows are from P&D Hobbyshop. DCC is ESU Loksound Select L V4.0. The model is far from ready however could not resist to make a small movie on its road behavior and sound.

How anyone could possibly tell when an Alco was running properly is beyond me.

Maybe that's the secret - they were never running properly...

The horses of the Alcos'engines are maybe badly drawn up!

:jester:

Yes Jordan,

I've found this information under the video:

This is an early Weaver Alco RS3 which I have converted. I replaced the chain drive by 2 O scale Stanton drives (NWSL). Decals are from Microscale. Messing parts and windows are from P&D Hobbyshop. DCC is ESU Loksound Select L V4.0. The model is far from ready however could not resist to make a small movie on its road behavior and sound.

Now that's interesting as it has exactly the same decoder as mine. It must just sound different due to being recorded & played through computer speakers. :scratchhead: ;)