What Alco do you have?

JAMO

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Having had a rummage in boxes from the loft - I've been on a nostagia trip!

I've found 2 more RS2's......

The nostalgia bit is that they were the first 2 US locos I bought.

That set me thinking about how old they must be!

Having opened that can of worms - I took off the bodies to see what was underneath.

Ah - good old Athearn Blue Box with added details!

That ties them down to about 1980-82 as I didn't have any US HO before that.

Guess what?

Both run good (OK for Athearn of the period) straight out of the box without any attention!

I think the last time they saw the light of day was in 1998 when we moved to our current residence.

Thanks

• Like 3

Hi all,

Having had a rummage in boxes from the loft - I've been on a nostagia trip!

I've found 2 more RS2's......

The nostalgia bit is that they were the first 2 US locos I bought.

That set me thinking about how old they must be!

Having opened that can of worms - I took off the bodies to see what was underneath.

Ah - good old Athearn Blue Box with added details!

That ties them down to about 1980-82 as I didn't have any US HO before that.

Guess what?

Both run good (OK for Athearn of the period) straight out of the box without any attention!

I think the last time they saw the light of day was in 1998 when we moved to our current residence.

Thanks

Athearn blue box were good model despite of there way of wiring (easy to upgrade). I remember to have bought several models from Athearn when I began to model US trains in the beginning of the 90's. They ran hours and hours without any trouble pulling long strings of wagons. It's a good souvenir. Later I sold them to buy Kato and Atlas models... but I remember my old Athearn.

One of my O scale Alco's - The very hard to find Atlas C424/C425. I'm not sure what happened to the handbrake chain ......  It just needs the numbers and letters removing, to enter service with the Cincinnati Belt & Terminal (tag line: We go round the middle - Not the outside). ......Or could it end up in PC black ?!

Mick.

Waow! Very nice model. In O scale it's impressive.

I saw one in a Paris shop (Trans Europ) in black color. I think it was in 1996 or 1997. The price was very expensive: 700 €!!!!!!

They had a Weaver RS-3 too. At that time I wasn't hooked by O scale.

The CB&T should be a nice idea.

Edited by JAMO

Next models from my N scale collection: the #4 and #5

The #5 was undecorated.

gallery_27876_4070_161075.jpg

gallery_27876_4070_130610.jpg

More to follow...

I think I have more Alco than I think  :jester:

These are N scale!?!

Very good pictures indeed!

I'm afraid I struggle to get decent pictures with my H0 scale stuff, certainly nothing like as good as those. Must try though as I do have a few Alcos, my favourite diesels!

Cheers,

John.

It's a Division Point model - as good as it gets, so that's actually a very reasonable price - for DP!

Personally, I'd rather hold onto my money and get an Atlas plastic model!

I was tempted when DP did a "Hammerhead" RSD4/5 in C&NW livery but, it was simply out of my league pricewise. Again, an Atlas 'bash' becons.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

Some HO models from Atlas (RS-1 and RS-32) and Proto 2000 (S-2) I've repainted for my HO shortline (yes another shortline)

named "Arkansas & Mississippi). The RS-32 is named for the first Chairman of the company: Adrian Knowx.

Sorry, I've shooted the photos on my O-16.5 mm board. I don't still have built my HO scale layout. One day, when my O scale layout and my 1/35 NG layout will be finished.

I've repainted others locomotives for the A&M but they aren't Alcos.

gallery_27876_4070_192492.jpg

gallery_27876_4070_43663.jpg

gallery_27876_4070_93727.jpg

gallery_27876_4070_101790.jpg

• Like 9

Hi

Love seeing all these Alcos, nice work guys.  Hmmm, how many Alco/MLWs am I allowed, 'cause I want them all.  So far I have most of the major models covered in N-Scale, either completed or on my workbench.

Here are some of them.  Firstly Green Bay & Western C-424 321. This is a Life-Like C-424 with an Atlas cab and short hood.

GBW321F14.jpg

Alco's 1967 proposed C-636P cowl unit.

IMG_2010_zpspcasqvya.jpg

Two former Cartier 'Bigs', Ex-Alco demo C-636, now SIXX 77 (sadly scrapped last year) and WNY&P 637, an M-636

P1010243_zps8nokqu53.jpg

Two Lamoille Valley RS-3's 7803 and chopped nosed 7804.

IMG_1963_zpsv3qnlaq7.jpg

Alco 241 powered demo DL-202, better known as the Black Maria.

DL-202%201500c%201_zpskoracvoq.jpg

There's more, if you wish to see them.

Cheers

Steve

NZ

Edited by mandealco
  • Like 8

May I ask how much and where from please

Nick,

Repatriated from the US last year (ebay), cost approx £130 incl VAT & delivery. I have since discovered thanks to Colin Stewart of this parish (who is helping develop the Gilmaur S scale kits - see various threads in this forum) that Mike Calvert the owner of Gilmaur can still supply some of his O scale kits. I have recently purchased a baby U boat, and the best I can suggest is that you email him at mike dot calvert at bt internet dot com. There is a draft version of a new website online if you do a simple search. The body only kit of the U18B was around £140, the Alco includes Keil Line cab details and Blunt trucks, but no drive components (Weaver/P&D etc), I imagine it could be built as an S4 using AAR trucks (Weaver/Atlas etc).

Mick.

• Like 1