What Alco do you have?

JAMO

Hi All,

At long last I have taken some shots of some of my Schenectady built fleet,

30603357241_1d8806543c_c.jpg

A Broadway RSD15 in C&O livery - I don't think the sound is very 'Alco' though, rather a generic diesel sound at best. I still like the model though.

30574645752_38b0d081bc_c.jpgAlcos on New Ulm. by Allegheny1633, on Flickr

I have shown this before, Atlas classic RS11.

30059726194_eba7a36bcc_c.jpgAlcos on New Ulm. by Allegheny1633, on Flickr

My other 'brute', a Stewart C628. This was one of the earlier models where you had to build it from a kit! I still have it's mate to build!

The North Western bought 30 of these secondhand from the Norfolk & Western and used them mainly on iron ore trains in the upper peninsula of Michigan, three at a time. They looked and sounded awesome!

30574646022_512ded31ca_c.jpgAlcos on New Ulm. by Allegheny1633, on Flickr

For now, this pairing has to do!

30057541583_8f7bd06d76_c.jpgAlcos on New Ulm. by Allegheny1633, on Flickr

Finally a selection of switchers!

L to R Pennsy S4 with Loksound, SP S4, EJ&E HH660 - all Atlas!

The Pennsy S4 is my current favourite, it is just such a sweet runner, pulls well and sounds so good. Loksound really captured the Alco burble superbly on this one.

Cheers until next time,

John.

• Like 11

When I saw Sophie at Anoraks Anonymous on Sunday at the Bolton swapmeet, she had two Alco C424/5's in stock for the ridiculously cheap price of around £25 each!

They were wrapped in the plastic bags that swapmeet folk use for unboxed items so I can only guess they were Atlas models - with Kato drive stickers on them though.

ISTR they were in a very dark livery like "Erie" or somesuch.

Why didn't I get them?

I spent my little money on a lovely Baldwin diesel instead! (anyone care to start a similar thread for the other 'minority' diesels like Baldwins, F-M's etc?)

Cheers,

John.

• Like 2

Picked up a pair very cheap at the NMRA convention. A Proto1000 RS10 in yucky CN green. New in the box never been run by the look of it: £25. And a nearly new Atlas RS3 in CP for £40. Not too shabby. Now to go and drop £180 on sound decoders, speakers, and all new lighting.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So I was having a think.

RS1 - NYC

RS2 - NYC

RS3 - NH

RS-11 - NYC (Yes, I know....) & NH

S1 - Industrial & NH

S2 - NYC & NH

S4 -NYC

PA1 - NH

...and that brass SP&S job, C628?

There's probably others, I keep finding things I had forgotten I had.

• Like 3

About time I added my list here:

S-2 with Sound

S-4

RS1

RS2

RS3 (in pieces and in need of a new shell)

C424

The RS1 is Rutland, the C424 will eventually be Guilford, everything else is Boston & Maine. Well, the RS2 will eventually be B&M, it's ATSF right now... All in N scale

Edited by garethashenden
  • Like 3

Just like those pesky 08's that some people buy!!   Get back to the "Soo"!! :nono:

What was pesky about the Dapol 08 was the price!! It was just rude not to buy one!! :D The falling price of UK O, alongside the weak £ - $ rate making US O more expensive, is dashed inconvenient!!

I'd gladly go back to the Soo if a decent 2-rail 1:48th GP38-2 became available, preferably one each in standard Soo Red/White, Red/White with red lettering, & Soo Candy Apple Red. Now THAT would get expensive, mostly in Divorce Lawyer fees!! :jester:

• Like 1

Ahhhhh ….. the smell of Alco’s in the morning, Mingo Junction Ohio, in the early days of Conrail, with six axle Centuries around the old roundhouse, and film crews on main street filming the Deer Hunter (and please don’t tell me it was actually filmed on the set used for the Moon landings in ’69 - I've heard it all before :nono: ).

https://railpictures.net/photo/590812/

https://railpictures.net/photo/590663?id=590663&showexif=1

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=271421

There are many more images online, the CRHS etc, and of course the Morning Sun books.

Whats not to like, an old roundhouse, turntable, patched locos, atmosphere and as many Alco's as you want! :locomotive: and the steel industry :sungum:

Now just to get on and build that N scale steel mill I've been collecting bits for for years. Just think what I could have done in that space I've now devoted to O scale :O

Eliza at the river bank, compound barges,

Zillions of hoppers, colorful rusty PCCs, the brewery and a glimpse of Southside rounding off the background, Smokey diesels everywhere..... And a yellowish brown smoke screen .... ;-)

Mick.

• Like 2

What was pesky about the Dapol 08 was the price!! It was just rude not to buy one!! :D The falling price of UK O, alongside the weak £ - $ rate making US O more expensive, is dashed inconvenient!!

I'd gladly go back to the Soo if a decent 2-rail 1:48th GP38-2 became available, preferably one each in standard Soo Red/White, Red/White with red lettering, & Soo Candy Apple Red. Now THAT would get expensive, mostly in Divorce Lawyer fees!! :jester:

I'm with you on the GP38-2.  The ultimate Soo icon.

My latest Alco.

Looking shiny and new next to a decidedly tired freight car. Shame GN had ditched all their RS3s long before they invented the big sky blue colour scheme... Still, if you don't tell anyone, I won't either.

post-25860-0-08276800-1478945296.jpg

The picture's not great, but I have loads of excuses for that...

• Like 7