Using Kingspan for Layout Boards

Allsounds

Weight is always a consideration for layouts that are transportable. I have embarked on a fictional underground layout using the new S8 stock, Utilising 50mm kingpin foam boards has allowed me to incorporate deep cuttings for sub surface stations and tunnels. I will have the outer tracks to run a shuttle automated capable of being switched in  and out as required.

The track sensors fro the shuttle control also double up for triggering scenic sounds like approach of trains the obvious one "Mind the Gap/Doors" etc.

The boards will fasten together with track sides facing and will fit into my C3 piccaso.

All the wiring is topside so I can sit down in relative comfort for this task. All point work will be controlled by a Megapoint control system and the trains will be DCC, although the Shuttles tracks are switchable between DC and DCC.

I used some kingspan to line the roof of a shed. Some of it warped and twisted, and sagged. I contacted Kingspan, they said it had to be supported at certain distances, but this was 8 by 4 sheets, and not all of it sagged. I'll come back, maybe, with the type that gave the sagging, but personally, I would not use it, unless for a  quick, short term fix.

edit - Their 'Kooltherm' sags badly, useless imnsho, their 'Siteline' is better. I've an unlabelled brand that is still flat. These are all roughly 3ft by 3ft sheets, supported loosely at their edges, bellying down under their own weight and heat above. Took about a year to be noticeable.

I've been using Styrofoam SM Floormate for my boards and modules now for around 8 years. Kingspan and the Knaupf loft insulation is similar but far less dense. I found both to be unsuitable for structural boards. The difference is in how the sheets are formed. Kingspan is moulded. Dow's Floormate is extruded and far denser. The 50mm thick Floorspan on the is designed to be covered and walked on. No warpage and only minimal shrinkage so far. All extruded and moulded foam products will shrink with age. approx. 1mm per metre of length.

Kingspan and Knaupf is fine for making scenery but not as the actual base for your layout.

Archived