• RMweb Premium

Had to build a signal.. having not been in the mood to build it I have now set to to build the signal required for our new LMRS CIO O Gauge layout Plymouth Friary.

Using MSE parts I built the lattice posts yesterday..

1768852273_Friarysignal1.jpeg.94d57ab6e177c394f7d57d8c30c83bd3.jpeg

today has seen a bit more done..

1038626159_Friarysignal2.jpeg.18fc64aad358b961f463d3fb8e9f3092.jpeg

it now needs a coat of paint before adding the arms and operating mechanism after giving it a coat of white.  I have built the signals themselves.. they need to get them painted too.

only one or two donations to the swear box so far..

Baz

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Halford white spray paint applied..

IMG-20210309-WA0004.jpeg.8c4e7d86df5aae055f596b4561d70ab0.jpeg

Black items have now been hand painted. Just need to add the arm, the weights to the operating levers and the operating wires.

Hopefully that will be done today.

Baz

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have had some old Hornby Dublo ICI Chlorine  wagons for a long time. The chassis were typical HD - heavy metal ones with an insert for the wheels to run in. I have finally getting around to sorting them out

1041080441_RechassiedHDICILiquidChlorinetabks.JPG.f0193fa65e2fcccce45b2340cdbd3872.JPG

Just couplings and new wagon numbers to be added.

Baz

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Barry O changed the title to Baz's bodging and bashing ...now ICI Chlorine Tanks
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

I have had some old Hornby Dublo ICI Chlorine  wagons for a long time. The chassis were typical HD - heavy metal ones with an insert for the wheels to run in. I have finally getting around to sorting them out

1041080441_RechassiedHDICILiquidChlorinetabks.JPG.f0193fa65e2fcccce45b2340cdbd3872.JPG

Just couplings and new wagon numbers to be added.

Baz

You are a better man than me Barry.
Mine still run on the Doublo underframes.
For now.......MWAHAHA.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I managed to get some Parkside underframe kits for the job. I could do a lot more to them but they look fine .  I did keep the HD chassis.. just in case.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A very frustrating day. There should be a photo of a DJH Duchess kit I have finally finished rebuilding in BR Green Duchess of Abercorn with a modified Hornby tender.....

But.. when applying power.. a direct short.. checked the pick ups ..fine when not touching the wheels...

Then, teh penny dropped!  I thought this had all insulated drivers...Wrong!  So the outer ones will be swapped around tomorrow. Bugggrrritt!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Just now, Barry O said:

A very frustrating day. There should be a photo of a DJH Duchess kit I have finally finished rebuilding in BR Green Duchess of Abercorn with a modified Hornby tender.....

But.. when applying power.. a direct short.. checked the pick ups ..fine when not touching the wheels...

Then, teh penny dropped!  I thought this had all insulated drivers...Wrong!  So the outer ones will be swapped around tomorrow. Bugggrrritt!

We've all been there Baz.:heart_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Barry O changed the title to Baz's bodging and bashing ...frustration with a Stanier Duchess!
  • RMweb Premium

Fettled..

It was a brake hangar.. one of the problems with DJH Pacific kits..

20210404_152002.jpg.59fc5395a9920cd8d093e03d8c431d16.jpg

Pretty!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Barry O said:

Fettled..

It was a brake hangar.. one of the problems with DJH Pacific kits..

20210404_152002.jpg.59fc5395a9920cd8d093e03d8c431d16.jpg

Pretty!

Baz

Been in the same place with a Model Loco 9F.
I like the brake hangers, but they will catch you out, on occasion.:lol:
Lovely job on the loco.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes DJH have never been good with brakes. The BR standards short onto the front bogie frames. Some of mine are now minus break gear..it gets rid of potential short.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 04/04/2021 at 22:55, Barry O said:

Yes DJH have never been good with brakes. The BR standards short onto the front bogie frames. Somenof mine are now minus break gear..it gets rid of potential shorte.

Baz

I found that if I used the correct driving wheels I couldn’t even use the brake hangers but had to fabricate my own.

Nice 46234 Baz.  Cabside numbers need a bit of levelling up?

Iain

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes DJH despite what some personalities on here reckon have some carp bits in them. The brake gear on all of the Duchesses are too large, the standard locos have a problem with the front bogie wheels touching the brake gear.. and thats without the overwide cylinders.. humph!

Yes the 4 and 6 have slipped.. need to use newer methfix  numbers...

Pretty engine though and the boiler has had a bit of lead added.. now up to 475gm.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, gordon s said:

I have the same problem with my DJH Black 5. Even on 4'+ radius curves the loco front bogie just touches the brake gear and shorts out. It's on the list of things to do.......

Gordon the DJH and Model loco Black 5s have problems. I am a bit brutal with them..snip! I will getaroundto fitting some non metallic brakes at some time.. but don't hold your breath waiting.... I prefer running to beautifying!!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
spelled Gordon wrong! apologies !
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Gordone the DJH and Model loco Black 5s have problems. I am a bit brutal with them..snip! I will getaroundto fitting some non metallic brakes at some time.. but don't hold your breath waiting.... I prefer running to beautifying!!

Baz

My first DJH loco was a WD, of course.
The brakes on that have been getting less and less over the 30 years it has been running.
My STD5s have a metal cradle with plastic brake shoes. I was shown this by Mike Wiltshire. It's a fag to do and the cradle tests my soldering skills, but it don't short.
My plastic brake shoes are part of a job lot I got on the MTK stand at the Wembley Conference Centre.
Same year as the GW steam specials in the 1980s.
Yes, I really am that old.:lol:
Keep up the good work Baz.
Regards, Chris.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• Barry O changed the title to Baz's bodging and bashing ....more wagons!
  • RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Are these going to be very battered in early BR days?

Yes for use on Herculaneum Dock as well as Wentworth

Baz

• Like 3