• RMweb Premium

@St EnodocYes the ride heights.. yhe unmotored SO is now adjusted. I would need to do a lot of hackinng and goiging in theMBSKs as the replica units only just fit in the bodies .. the MTK bodu shells have different depths of solebars so it is quite good just getting them to fit together at all. @Jamiel is building one of these from etched sides. If I started again that would be the way it would go.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Barry

I like Barry’s Class 124 a lot, it has the right feel. I used to see them pass my school in Selby every day so I have a fondness for them.

I started with a cut and shut on Replica MK1 bodies when I was convalescing from an accident, but it was going to take ages and would not give as good a result as the Worsley Works etches, which Andy53B introduced me to. I may finish that unit as is as a spare, or a blue option, mine will be green with small yellow ends.

I am using DC Kits cabs filed down from their 303 EMU cabs, a lot of people have gone this way to get the complex shape of the cab (thank you Charlie for digging those out for me). I will use the Replica bodies as a base for the etches, keeping the roofs and ends.

CL124TP_04.jpg

I have made a casting of a Trix cab roof which is the right width.

Cast41.jpg

Lots of bits from Wizard/Comet and Dart Castings for MJT bogies, plus a few other sources.

CL124TP_05.jpg

CL124TP_06.jpg

CL124TP_08.jpg

Odd bits of plastic packaging have been kept to see which will give the best match to the curved cab side windows.

CL124TP_09.jpg

Almost finished on my Class 120 DMU so the Class 124 Transpennine will be next, but possibly a break to actually do some layout building over the summer. I will sell on my Trix 124, some people have made good versions from that, the width is good as are the bogies, but it is too low and short being a HO model, and if the height is extended it make the cab windows too small for the height and to me doesn’t look right. It is always a choice of compromises though, and the one featured in Railway Modeller a while ago was good.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The cabs on the TPU are cast whitemetal shame Colin Massingham didn't use plastic mouldings like the coach ends are. The engines etc are resin from an old Leeds Member Mike Cole so I should say it is a MTK/Q Kits/Replica/DC Kits  (unpowered bogies are DC Kits).

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Right, back to Bodging!

I built a Judith Edge Ruston kit many moons ago (it may even have been a pre-production one!) I stored it as I din't need it!  The new layout (Barnbow East) requires some colliery locos so.. I dug it out.. at some point the loco had been dropped. The chassis worked well,,, the paint job was carp so..

Paint off and pit the bits back on/straighten out the bent bits ..et voila

1785485606_IMG_9068(3).JPG.ecda9b6884f452256634a0bbfe5431e7.JPG

I need to adjust the hand rails then prime and paint if. I have run out of our original Leyland Metro City Blue colour..

but herself found her next car colour (yes another Metro we liked them!) so it will be red with a black roof and yellow buffer beams.

While I was doing that I built my tribute to Adrian Swain.. master white metal kit manufacturer. Years since I built one of his van kits.. but it was a dream to solder together.

1403482451_ABSunfittedLMSearlyvan.JPG.4de8e28ca7e81cae4b50b83996963d04.JPG

An early build LMS  unfitted van. I built a similar one years ago and added vac fitted brakes - it was then painted in LMS lined crimson lake as a Fish Van. It now resides as an unfitted van (by BR days the fishvans had been rechassied with 10' 6" wheel bases.. I couldn't be bothered so just turned it into an unfitted BR van. I need to fasten a rainstrip on when I find my microstrip!

1576662147_tothersideofJERustonandABSLMSunfittedvan.JPG.e0a691b7ee4bac69d5c03b2b74f3022f.JPG

The two together

Baz

Edited by Barry O
spellung
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Only the number plate , works plates and windows left on the ruston..

1365271530_IndustrialRuston.JPG.8842358322b86f1ca02ee3ef7d16b01d.JPG

Need to find a suitable  nameplate .. perhaps I need to get  my old mums name on it?. ASENATH (or , in hsort, ZEN) ?

Some other wagons have been weathered..

the Parkside Mink D has been finished..

1582908617_wetaherdParksideMink.JPG.838457ea394b77071280671dfbf47848.JPG

Baz

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Need to find a suitable  nameplate .. perhaps I need to get  my old mums name on it?. ASENATH (or , in hsort, ZEN) ?

I hope you've already got a loco whose name begins with H...

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Barry O said:

Baz

This is actually a Mink G

5 hours ago, Barry O said:

Baz

It's a "G" not a "D" , Sir.

• RMweb Premium

It came out of a Parkside packet calling it a ""D" I have little knowledge of what the difference is between a "D" and a "G" other than the load weight in one is 10T the other is 20T..as it happens the name doesn't matter.. it is another long wheelbase va..

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Barry O said:

It came out of a Parkside packet calling it a ""D" I have little knowledge of what the difference is between a "D" and a "G" other than the load weight in one is 10T the other is 20T..as it happens the name doesn't matter.. it is another long wheelbase va..

Baz

D? G? Well, it's got DG couplings so don't worry about it!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Barry O said:

Baz

This is just another long wheelbase D :blink:

20160504_100733.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Better photos of the Ruston. That nice Mike Edge says he will etch some plates for ASENATH...and I have to trial fit some of his new DG type couplings.

150012285_Rustonthisside.JPG.ba55d4874d35f2fb90b733eb93d17b28.JPGI will try and get the same kick marks on the door on the other side..

2010280871_Rustonotherside.JPG.71fcfdc2d5de7a4e4056b83393af35ba.JPG

Baz

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

So what did I do in lockdown?

Built and finished 9 coaches (brass sides) and have two more which nees the roof details added

Rebuilt 10 wagons

Built 10 wagons from kits

Fitted new gearboxes/motors to 2 DJH Black 5s, 2 Wills 4Fs, A DJH Standard 3, built a new chassis for my Nu Cast V2, fixed a Cotswold Jinty, stripped and rebuilt a Judith Edge Ruston kit, built the chassis for a Judith Edge 15" Hunslet, a JE 16" Hunslet and an N5.

Rebuilt my 6 car MTK Trans Pennine Unit

Built and fitted a new bogie to a Ks Black 5 

Repainted the DJH Black 5s and the  Ruston

Since then, laid a lot of cork on the new baseboards, fitted the new electro magnets in the fiddle yard..

In addition I have been doing some client weathering and sound fitting - varying from a super power Class though various LMR steam locomotives as well as rebuilding a Hornby Coronation, a Black 5 and an A4....

the brakes have gone a bit recently as I have started umpiring in this foreshortened season.. (currently this is taking up 2 days a week,

Due to house painting duties as well as gardening and others as requested by "her indoors" I had hope to finish the 15" and 16" Hunslets.. but they will get done shortly. as will a part rebuilt DJH Coronation and 2 more "bitza" Coronations.. how time flies when you are having fun..

Baz

Edited by Barry O
forgot the tPU!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

So what did I do in lockdown?

Built and finished 9 coaches (brass sides) and have two more which nees the roof details added

Rebuilt 10 wagons

Built 10 wagons from kits

Fitted new gearboxes/motors to 2 DJH Black 5s, 2 Wills 4Fs, A DJH Standard 3, built a new chassis for my Nu Cast V2, fixed a Cotswold Jinty, stripped and rebuilt a Judith Edge Ruston kit, built the chassis for a Judith Edge 15" Hunslet, a JE 16" Hunslet and an N5.

Rebuilt my 6 car MTK Trans Pennine Unit

Built and fitted a new bogie to a Ks Black 5 

Repainted the DJH Black 5s and the  Ruston

Since then, laid a lot of cork on the new baseboards, fitted the new electro magnets in the fiddle yard..

In addition I have been doing some client weathering and sound fitting - varying from a super power Class though various LMR steam locomotives as well as rebuilding a Hornby Coronation, a Black 5 and an A4....

the brakes have gone a bit recently as I have started umpiring in this foreshortened season.. (currently this is taking up 2 days a week,

Due to house painting duties as well as gardening and others as requested by "her indoors" I had hope to finish the 15" and 16" Hunslets.. but they will get done shortly. as will a part rebuilt DJH Coronation and 2 more "bitza" Coronations.. how time flies when you are having fun..

Baz

Is that it?

• Funny 1

• Barry O changed the title to Baz's bodging and bashing ...now a JE etched overlay for a Hornby Fowler
  • RMweb Premium

Been a while but I have been busy sorting out couplings and stock. Sounds simple? Yes but with 500+ wagons to go through and 200+ coaches it has taken some time and it isn't very photogenic.

Now that that is done for the time being I have started some more "roundtuit" jobs.  I ordered some etchings from Judith Edge on Monday - they arrived on Tuesday so I fitted them today.

1626112193_FowlerTankconversion.jpeg.82cb05abfc6d1e162ea3db7a4fc53a83.jpeg

Now all I need is to get some new buffers and "mushroom" vents (they need to be curved not straight up).

And get it painted. BR Lined Black Livery will do nicely methinks

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 10