OBB 1040

Vecchio

• RMweb Premium

E-bay is terrible. Sometimes - when I absolutely not plan to buy anything - interesting stuff comes up. So it happened last week. At the same time 2 Liliput 1040 electric engines went into auction. I couldn't resist and had to get one.

Why this engine? When I grew up my parents purchased a small house close to the Semmering railway. This is the first European standard gauge mountain railway. Probably this is also the reason why I play today with model trains and why I write in this forum...

Yes - and when I grew up this engine, the 1040, was frequently used as a bank engine to bring heavy goods or passenger trains over the pass. Standard locomotive in the 70th was the 1042, which was in some cases not powerful or heavy enough to master these trains alone.

30093314275_7297b039cb_b.jpg. Photo Peter Schmied

The model is from Liliput, from the time they were still producing in Austria and before DCC or nem shaft were popular. Of course I will put a DCC decoder into the model, there is space enough. I suppose the model will be rather weak as only one boogy is powered and there are no traction tires. But it is an historic model so it doesn't need to show how strong it once was in the mountains of Austria.

30058681466_519cab929a_b.jpgDSC03631

29465188944_bbbf404ecd_b.jpgDSC03628

The model is in good condition, there is a small crack under the coupling on one side, but when I do not point to it nobody will notice. 50 Euro for a used model which is not on todays technical level may seem expensive, but as I mentioned before for me this locomotive reminds me of the times I could wear small instead of XL. :smile_mini2:

Will tell the community how it runs when I find a suitable decoder.

• RMweb Premium

I love the older European electric locomotives. I'd never try and claim those old timers were better than the modern crop of Traxx, Vectron, ES64 etc etc standard platform designs but I loved it when each railway of Europe had its own unique style and feel. And I did like the look of the older designs, there was something rather charming about them, a bit home spun but nevertheless attractive. That is a nice little model.

• RMweb Premium

For sure they were not better - but they had their own charm. For instance the 1040 - I could tell you one is coming when it was 3 km away as it had a very characteristic sound. Probably this comes from the fact that it had straight thethed cog wheels - or from the secheron spring drive.

Will try first a zimo mx 64 (as I have one in the drawer) - if it is a good runner I probably go for a sound decoder.

Vecchio

• RMweb Premium

Had a trial run on the DC test layout of the club - runs nicely and the pulling force is better than I thought it would be. Now the question is sound or no sound - need to check my bank account :dontknow:

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Took me quite a while to check my bank account :smile_mini2:

But finally I sent an order out. Zimo MX648 + sound project for 1040 + sugar cube speaker (and a handful of MX600 to reduce the postage cost...).

You will see me struggling later in this thread when I will install this decoder....

Vecchio

An excuse for a prototype picture?  Here is the last survivor of the class, still working a local passenger diagram at Amstetten in May 2001.  The locomotive has since been set aside for preservation (ÖGEG, Ampflwang).

post-10122-0-37928500-1485269705_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I remember them very well. When I was a teenager the typical double header on the Semmering pass line was a 1042 plus a 1040.

Thanks for the photo - will give me some food for further detailing...

• RMweb Premium

Austria has delivered - but as I had a job at the island of Arran this morning there is no way that I start anything... I am happy to be back home in one piece now. (380 miles...) 

The new MX600 are nice and small, will be a bit of a challenge to put a ground lead on (I like my stay alive functions so I will do it) but those are for other candidates, what I purchased for the 1040 is the decoder on the left. Even smaller than a MX600 - the MX 648. And a sugarcube phone speaker. There shouldn't be any problem to get these into the loco. But this will be a weekend job. (business trips didn't finish, tomorrow Paris...)

32512054401_862d6c9c5a_b.jpgDSC04287

• RMweb Premium

Just found a note in the decoder box - the following sound projects are stored BR44/BR50/BR52/BR298 and BR218

actually I paid for an OBB1040 - hope this was a default note... I will find out soon :scratchhead: 

• RMweb Premium

if the reader wonders why there are no news - well Vecchio the super man who chipped more than 30 old locos made a short during testing and killed the decoder....

I had the speaker provisionally stuck to the frame using blue tack - the speaker came off the blue tack and who knows this old loco will know that the frame is connected to one of the rails...

The rest is smoke.

will cost me 15 Euro plus postage to and from Austria to get this repaired. :angry: :angry: :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

I always liked the 1040, I was fortunate enough to see one (stationary though) in Waidhofen an der Ybbs in 2001 a couple of years before the last few were withdrawn. 1040.01 is preserved in Straßhof:

20150809_132725_zpsajzrsjuy.jpg

Along with 1040.008-3 which isn't so 'preserved'...

20150809_142613_zpsvmkgx77d.jpg

I have been tempted by the Liliput models but have resisted so far, I'm holding out for a Rivarossi version at a sensible price, or Roco to develop one (all they need to do is make a new bodyshell to go over a 1245 chassis).

Good to know the sound decoders can be repaired, I have a 1245 from Roco with very fuzzy sound which replacement speakers hasn't cured. Do AMW repair them or do they have to go to Zimo?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stefan,

As I had bought a sound project from Huebsch (AMW) I sent it to him. Have to remind him as I didn't hear anything so far.

As it looks you are familiar with the Austrian full size and model scene - are you Austrian??

Vecchio

Archived