Jinty in O gauge

steve fay

Got an email from Hattons with all the versions pictured.  Now, the question is, do I order the non sound version and add another sound decoder (hoping that Digitrains and Paul C do something) or do I order sound on board?

John

• 1 month later...

Great news about the Jinty, great price as well. I wanted the early BR version so it meant I had to join the collectors club (£25 per year) but I can buy one for the fantastic price of £150. The only problem is the number they have chosen spent its whole life in the north which is no good to me as my modelling is based around the Somerset and Dorset. There are no plans, at the moment, to do an unnumbered version but having spoken to Joel, from Dapol, at a couple of shows lately he says that if enough people want one unnumbered they should be able to request some from the factory. So if you are interested let Dapol know and well see what haqppens.

Jules

• RMweb Gold

Great news about the Jinty, great price as well. I wanted the early BR version so it meant I had to join the collectors club (£25 per year) but I can buy one for the fantastic price of £150. The only problem is the number they have chosen spent its whole life in the north which is no good to me as my modelling is based around the Somerset and Dorset. There are no plans, at the moment, to do an unnumbered version but having spoken to Joel, from Dapol, at a couple of shows lately he says that if enough people want one unnumbered they should be able to request some from the factory. So if you are interested let Dapol know and well see what haqppens.

Jules

There is a poll re an unnumbered version on the digest now.

Roy

• 1 month later...

So, we've now got the Terrier representing the Southern, the Jinty for the LMS and there is a 57xx for the GWR. I am hoping that they do something for the LNER - perhaps a J72?

It wasn't all that long ago that O scale was strictly a builder's scale (or one where you parted with big $$$ for someone to build you a one-off!) All these smaller RTR locomotives are a great thing. It really helps beginners to get something running - after all, it is far better to start out on a wagon in O gauge than a loco kit for the first attempt.

Hartley you are so right!  I'd like to see a modest LNER loco too.

Dapol's RTR 08 got me started in 0 gauge and I've been building kits and collecting RTR ever since (8 months now).

I have a loco kit on the "to do" shelf but it'll have to wait until I get other things done - like a layout.

John

Quite fancy a jinty, memories of a Triang Hornby model I had many years ago. However.... nowadays it's O gauge based in Scotland for me ; can't find any evidence of a Scottish based Jinty - does anybody know better?? Thanks

Should have added based on Perth and all points north.... but also work on my railway, my rules so happy to hear about anything further south....

Dundee any good?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jinty+scotland&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=nmiv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVvemc7eLVAhVqLcAKHcvqDTUQ_AUIEigD&biw=1024&bih=649#imgrc=OxitMalgssqMgM:

• RMweb Premium

Quite fancy a jinty, memories of a Triang Hornby model I had many years ago. However.... nowadays it's O gauge based in Scotland for me ; can't find any evidence of a Scottish based Jinty - does anybody know better?? Thanks

There were some Jintys allocated to Polmadie and Motherwell. See from 47536 onwards.

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=78&type=S&page=alloc

That question was asked on here earlier - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59825-jinty-and-4f-in-scotland/

• 2 weeks later...

Dapol had the Jinty's on display at Guildex. I took these two photos as I couldn't make up my mind which one to go for. They look great and they were running one super slow... can't wait for my LMS one to arrive.

Excellent photos, if you have taken images of the other Dapol O gauge products, please share them.

• RMweb Gold

There's quite a size difference all round if it's a 1F you're thinking of...

Here's my OO versions by way of comparison.

Rob

post-14122-0-82996400-1504563268_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

Another point is that the WB of early and late build 1Fs are different.  Original WB is 7' 4" + 7' 8".  Later locos (starting at #1845) had WB of 7' 4" + 8' 2".  This from Jenkinson and Essery.  I doubt you could tell if you were riding past on a bike.

John