Jinty in O gauge

steve fay

Guest Q663389

Mine is not noticeably noisy Q, so the application of some grease may answer.  I will weather and detail mine soon now I have the sound in and crew painted.

John

Merry Xmas John.

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has had trouble with the crankpins coming adrift on the Jinty?

I had one come out of the RT wheel after only about 5 mins of moderate speed running, causing an abrupt stop as the coupling rod came loose and started thrashing about on the ballast.

Upon investigating further it seems the crank pins are screwed into the wheel, and on my model there was only a tiny amount of thread engaging in the hole - probably less than one full thread of whatever fine series metric thread it is. At first I though the crank pin on this wheel had sheared off, but on removing another one as a test, this looked similar. This would seem rather worrying as it won’t be long before more failures are experienced on the rest of my fleet. Right now it looks like I might have to contemplate major re-work to the wheels/crankpins which, if it’s even possible, will be a right pain (and shouldnt be necessary on an RTR model).

Grateful fo any words of wisdom or experience of others.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

James

Merry Christmas to all,

I had a similar issue with a Terrier where one of the crank pins sheared off. There was inadequate thread for the remains of the original bolt to engage, however a short hex bolt (salvaged from a set of Hornby valve gear) managed to bite and hold the rod in place. It was not possible to remove the remains of the sheared bolt from the wheel as this was tight (possibly over tight) and I did not fancy drilling this out.

Ultimately I wrote to Dapol, and the wheel set was replaced. (Dapol customer care were really good as the model was over 12 months old).

Double check the ends of the removed crank pins (you may need a magnifying glass) and the threaded hole to be sure these haven't sheared. This might also be the case for the one you removed to check. Look also from the back of the wheel, as he threaded hole will probably go right through the casting - it does on the Terrier . If you can see the end of the crankpin remaining in the hole this would suggest it has sheared.

It seems odd that the Jinty wheel would be designed to have so little thread to engage the crank pin.

I have three terriers, two 08's and one Jinty (but no partridge in a pear tree), thankfully I have only had one failure of this nature (although obviously the 08 wheel sets do not have crank pins into the wheel). Hopefully this will be a localised issue, and I am sure that Dapol will help if there is a fault with your model.

Have a great day,

Neal

Edited by neal

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Q663389

My Dapol Jinty is quite noisy, especially running forwards. The gears were dry, hopefully the application of Nano-grease will improve things. It has yet to have a continuous run. I made the mistake of detailing it before I ran it as I am awaiting the sound decoder. It will need the sound decoder to subdue the noise. The two Class 08's are silent, so a bit disappointing.

Pleased to report my Jinty is running really well. Totally silent in both directions now. I use Nano-oil and Nano-grease here in Canada. Very expensive at $30.00 Can. a bottle or tube. It is amazing stuff. Highly recommended. Currently using a Lenz Silver 21 pin decoder as my Zimo chip has still not arrived.

Regards,

Alan

Guest Q663389

My Jinty seems fine Alan, but the Terrier could be quieter.  Where do you get this grease?  Did you lube the gears?

John

Hi John,

I took the gear cover off and found the gears to be dry. What little lubricant there was, was on the side of the large gear and not on the gear teeth per say. It does not need very much.

I bought the grease from George's Trains in Toronto a couple of months ago. It comes in a very large syringe and will last ten lifetimes. Brilliant stuff though. It coates the running surfaces with what I can only describe as ball bearings. I also use Nano Oil.

With regards to the Terriers, two of my friends have one each, from a different batch. The Southern Railway green one has developed quite a waddle when running along the track. The other one, the Isle of Wight version, has a slight waddle from new. At some point I will be getting one or both to examine more closely. I need to check the back to back of the wheels. Both waddle on Peco and hand layed spiked track. The back to back of the Jinty wheels is 29.35 mm, so a little on the wide side. I run on C&L track.

Thanks for the info Alan, I'll have to see what I can find.  Sounds like mail order.  No joy with Canadian Tire.

The Terrier I have also had a waddle, well more a thunk every rev.  I think one of the wheels was out of quarter (which seems common from what I have read).  I took off the brake gear and keeper plate and tweaked the offending wheel.  It runs better now with sound but I can hear gear/motor noise.

I'm on mostly Peco track since it is relatively easy to get.

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

Not from today but just if anyone does work out how to modify the 'keyhole' on the model this is the best shot I've got of 47406 at the GCR.

Just found this thread so apologies for butting in late.

Here's a close-up of the keyhole of 47327 that I took at the Midland Railway Butterley when I drove that engine a few years ago. As you can see, it has no sandbox filler lid, just the hole in the tank side and footplate.

post-2189-0-67980800-1516532820_thumb.jpg

BTW I got my Dapol Jinty at the end of November (late crest, unnumbered). I fitted a Zimo/Chetter decoder from Digitrains and, as I type, it's shuttling back and forth on my layout with an unfinished Ian Kirk LMS composite compartment coach in tow :-)

Ultimately I want to convert it to a push-pull fitted variant (as 47480) to run with this coach and the next coach off the workbench, which will be a brake third modified into a pull&push driving trailer.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I acquired a 2nd Jinty in the Hattons sale.  One of the crank pins disappeared during running in.  Sadly the errant pin just appears to have vanished into thin air.  I contacted Dapol, who put me on to DCC Supplies and the replacement pin arrived within a couple of days, no quibble.

On further inspection I noticed a couple of things ...

1) Half the crank pins were loose ... all now tight.

2) Where the pin had just fallen out I shone a torch behind the wheel and could see light through, so if you lose a pin, you can easily tell whether it fell out or sheared off.

Next problem, I had purchased this to repaint as Thomas ... but it is such a lovely model I'm not sure I can bring myself to do it!!!

Will this loco cope with PECO settrack curves and points or is the wheel base too long?

Tim

Dunno about Peco Setrack I'm afraid, but mine are happy on Marcway 48" radius points.

• RMweb Gold

I acquired a 2nd Jinty in the Hattons sale.  One of the crank pins disappeared during running in.  Sadly the errant pin just appears to have vanished into thin air.  I contacted Dapol, who put me on to DCC Supplies and the replacement pin arrived within a couple of days, no quibble.

On further inspection I noticed a couple of things ...

1) Half the crank pins were loose ... all now tight.

2) Where the pin had just fallen out I shone a torch behind the wheel and could see light through, so if you lose a pin, you can easily tell whether it fell out or sheared off.

Next problem, I had purchased this to repaint as Thomas ... but it is such a lovely model I'm not sure I can bring myself to do it!!!

Dunno about Peco Setrack I'm afraid, but mine are happy on Marcway 48" radius points.

You can't repaint a Jinty blue and get a "Thomas". Thomas is an LBSC E2 (which I seem to recall is available as a Shapeways print)..

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of getting some spare conrod pins but note that DCC Supplies have no Jinty ones in stock, are the Terrier ones the same size?

Based on the photo here : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87122-Dapol-o-gauge-terrier/?p=3364899

... and the fact DCC Supplies sent me replacements for my Jinty in an unlabelled packet, I would say with 99% certainty that they are the same item ... only 99% mind, and I am not in a position to fully confirm.

• 5 years later...

Ellis Clark have the Crewe/Doncaster works l/crest tank-numbered version in stock new at £125.00

This is the one with the very minor livery defect on one tank - really a tiny fix, and a bargain nonetheless.

Neal

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, neal said:

Gone now!

I don't know how many they started with but they had 7 when I looked earlier.

Everyone loves a bargain!

Edited by Hal Nail