Revolution Delivers UK's First Ever Crowd-funded RTR models

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hi RJennings,

Great shot of the short Greenergy train - very modellable!

CB Rail - Here's an image of the first sample of the 00 model in the 00 thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105524-revolution-trains-oo-tea-tanker/?p=2441284

We are hoping to have painted samples on show on our joint stand with Rapido at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC next month - come and see for yourself if you're there!

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Gold

15 out of 21 weathered.

Just one little thing to watch out for. The little separate detail piece under the chassis between the bogie and buffers (4 per wagon) can be a little loose. I have had a couple drop off whilst weathering including removing and refitting wheels but luckily found them again. They are generally well fixed in place but I am going to go through all the tanks and put a drop of superglue on the joints of these to reduce the chance of them falling off when being handled at shows.

All other details seem to be very well fixed in place.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Ah, hadn't noticed that they weren't on my two VTG ones.

They are probably strong enough to stay on till you start messing around with them like me but worth mentioning so people are aware to keep an eye on them or a bit more careful when handling them especially when changing couplers.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I found time to nip into Smith's today and grabbed the latest magazines.

I had a flick through to see if they had reviewed the TEA tankers with, I admit, a degree of trepidation. While I believe we have produced excellent models, there is always the chance others may disagree.

Luckily all the reviews are very positive indeed:

post-420-0-00046900-1476809859_thumb.jpeg

BRM's editor Ben Jones writes: "Our sample ran faultlessly, the decoration...is simply oustanding."

Interestingly, Ben also makes a good point about credibility, pointing out: "...their record of delivering quality models...has helped them overcome the fears of potential customers."

In Model Rail George Dent says: "These models are exquisite...a benchmark for quality, fidelity and value."

And in the Hornby Magazine Mike Wild says the tankers have "a 'European' finesse," and he very kindly adds: "Revolution has delivered a quality product, and there is much more to come."

So once again, thanks to everyone who has supported us so far and, if you're interested in any of the new items we are offering from the Class B tankers to the Class 92 electric, you can pre-order with confidence!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Hurrah! Just received my second order today – still blown away!, email received Sunday 16th (although there wasn’t one for either parcel for my first order).

Worryingly, I’m still waiting for the second parcel containing the balance of my first order (4x EWS triple packs).  Maybe it’s one of the “handful of stragglers” Mike referred to on the N Gauge Forum on Sunday – While putting in my Caledonia Sleeper 92 order today I noticed that first order is still showing as ‘Processing’, if these TEAs haven’t turned up I will contact Ben/Mike at end of the month as Ben requested earlier on this topic.

​Regards, Gerry.

Hello all,

I found time to nip into Smith's today and grabbed the latest magazines.

I had a flick through to see if they had reviewed the TEA tankers with, I admit, a degree of trepidation. While I believe we have produced excellent models, there is always the chance others may disagree.

Luckily all the reviews are very positive indeed:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

BRM's editor Ben Jones writes: "Our sample ran faultlessly, the decoration...is simply oustanding."

Interestingly, Ben also makes a good point about credibility, pointing out: "...their record of delivering quality models...has helped them overcome the fears of potential customers."

In Model Rail George Dent says: "These models are exquisite...a benchmark for quality, fidelity and value."

And in the Hornby Magazine Mike Wild says the tankers have "a 'European' finesse," and he very kindly adds: "Revolution has delivered a quality product, and there is much more to come."

So once again, thanks to everyone who has supported us so far and, if you're interested in any of the new items we are offering from the Class B tankers to the Class 92 electric, you can pre-order with confidence!

Cheers

Ben A.

You might find it worth re-visiting a new batch of TEAs quicker than you'd expect now that folk have something physical to see the quality you're producing and with those reviews its bound to encourage more purchases ... but that is a downfall with crowdsourcing and it being your first model if they're all sold.

• RMweb Gold

You might find it worth re-visiting a new batch of TEAs quicker than you'd expect now that folk have something physical to see the quality you're producing and with those reviews its bound to encourage more purchases ... but that is a downfall with crowdsourcing and it being your first model if they're all sold.

Hi Gordon,

You're right, but we gave an undertaking to our customers that we would not rerun this model for at least two years.

To make crowdfunding work we need to incentivise people to step forward early, which we are doing with price (they will never be available new from us at a price cheaper than the original £26 each) and with exclusivity - so those who had the faith to pre-order now have time to take a certain satisfaction from the knowledge that these models are - to quote a popular website - "not on the high street."

The only circumstance in which we might consider an early rerun would be if, say, VTG ordered a new batch in a different livery, but that would be because our original customers might want those too!

What we probably will do - maybe later on next year - is open up a new order page for a possible repeat run of TEAs, with different numbers, so that those who missed out can let us know their interest.  Once we have enough interest to justify another production run, and subject to the time limit mentioned above, we will then go ahead.

In the meantime, we are hoping that "non-buyer's regret" will encourage people to go for our Pendolino, KFA, 320/321 and Class 92 in N as they now have clear evidence that not only will we actually deliver, but what we deliver will - to quote one review - set a benchmark!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Ben

If there was a re run within 2 years I would not have any issue with that, although I now have all that I require, unless I decide to model a new location that requires more of them.

Just one three pack left to open and attack with the brush. In a few days time they will get their first run through Banbury - not a clean one amongst them!

However we may have Gordons ones if he has them in time for another tanker train

• RMweb Gold

Hurrah! Just received my second order today – still blown away!, email received Sunday 16th (although there wasn’t one for either parcel for my first order).

Worryingly, I’m still waiting for the second parcel containing the balance of my first order (4x EWS triple packs).  Maybe it’s one of the “handful of stragglers” Mike referred to on the N Gauge Forum on Sunday – While putting in my Caledonia Sleeper 92 order today I noticed that first order is still showing as ‘Processing’, if these TEAs haven’t turned up I will contact Ben/Mike at end of the month as Ben requested earlier on this topic.

Hi Gerry

We didn't mark all orders as complete in real time particularly earlier batches.

I think that all packages have now gone out so if you are still missing something by early next week please drop me an email or PM.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

Ben / Mike

After receiving my TEAs directly from you at the BRM show at Peterborough, I can only echo what others have said.  I would like to publically thank you for producing such an excellent product.  I see these wagons on a daily basis and the model really does capture the essence of the prototype.  From reading the posts above, whichever magazine has said you have set a new benchmark, is completely correct in my book.  The bar has been raised yet again and when compared to the Graham Farish Polybulk, which in my view is of a similar standard, the Revolution Trains TEAs offer fantastic value for money.

On a further note, I will be supporting you with your forthcoming model of the Brush built type 5, BR Class 92 as my manufacturer of choice.  You have proven your ability and trustworthiness by actually delivering a quality product in a reasonable time scale where you have consistently kept your customers informed.

You've got my vote!

All the best, cheers, Andy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

All 21 of mine weathered and will go into the stock trays tonight ready for the Beckenham show. I will take some photos of them when set up and running.

I have tried to replicate some of the marks on Glorious NSE's post here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76758-greasy-dark-dirty-drips-on-fuel-tank-wagonsincorrect/?p=1177235

and also on here

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/T/TEA-102t-bogie-tanks/TEA-102t-Bogie-tanks/

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Look forward to seeing those! I agree that many tankers, if you replicated faithfully, would be dismissed as unrealistic, particularly those where parts of the barrel have obviously been wiped clean by washing/lineside growth!

I see there are 12 red and 3 grey VTG ones on eBay, interested to see what they sell for. First ones I've seen (and I set up an alert out of curiosity).

Edited because I don't count good.

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Gold

Look forward to seeing those! I agree that many tankers, if you replicated faithfully, would be dismissed as unrealistic, particularly those where parts of the barrel have obviously been wiped clean by washing/lineside growth!

I see there are 12 red and 3 grey VTG ones on eBay, interested to see what they sell for. First ones I've seen (and I set up an alert out of curiosity).

Edited because I don't count good.

I haven't done the horizontal clean band as when I tried it, the EWS logo came off.  However the oil stains do look a bit weird as they don't all run from the top of the tank or even below the filler cap. I must remember to have photos ready for those that pass comment.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Had to happen sooner rather than later....

Revolution TEA's available on ebay with bids starting from as low as £9.99 plus p&p!

No connection - one of my searches suddenly flooded with the listings.

We shall see what actual sale prices they achieve.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Had to happen sooner rather than later....

Revolution TEA's available on ebay with bids starting from as low as £9.99 plus p&p!

No connection - one of my searches suddenly flooded with the listings.

We shall see what actual sale prices they achieve.

Thanks

Looks to be one seller who's now listed 18, mostly with equally blurry pictures. Grey ones have shot up straight away. Red clearly less popular!

I do wish I'd gone for an EWS rake too, feels they would have been a sound investment (as I'd tell my wife!).

"However we may have Gordons ones if he has them in time for another tanker train"

Ian,

Mine were waiting for me on my return from Madrid last night.

If I have time to un-box and put them into my stock box, I will bring them along on Saturday,

Gordon_D

• Like 1