Alternatives to Dullcote

The white is the  matting agent as it seems all matt finishes come with a talc like agent that settles to the bottom just like the old trick of adding talc to Humbrol to matt it down .Shake it up and spray it thick and the white crud appears  so use thin coats and build up .experiment .A touch of the white stuff weathers a steam loco very nicely used in moderation .I always use an airbrush .

• RMweb Premium

I've just started using Windsor and Newton Galeria acrylic matt varnish.  As is invariably the case with acrylics I find it a nightmare to apply by brush, but it airbrushes very well indeed, thinned with just a litle tapwater and a touch of W&N Flow Improver, though the latter is probably unnecessary.  I've been using an airbrush with a 0.4mm nozzle - anything smaller and you'd probably need to thin it a bit more - W&N recommend no more than 20% water.  Another bonus is that when airbrushed over my first hand-brushed effort, it all self levelled very nicely and the brush marks disappeared.  Mind you, the matt finish is very matt indeed.  I've also used their satin varnish, and I didn't need to thin that at all.  The finish with that was matter than I thought it would be.  The other bonus is that you can get a big 250ml pot for less than a tenner.

DT

• Informative/Useful 1

On 16/10/2021 at 10:20, Metr0Land said:

Am currently using The Army Painter Matt Varnish which seems to do the same job as Dullcote (MAY even be the same stuff with slightly different smell!)

Thanks for that. Is it available in spray cans and where do you buy it?

On 16/10/2021 at 10:20, Metr0Land said:

Am currently using The Army Painter Matt Varnish which seems to do the same job as Dullcote (MAY even be the same stuff with slightly different smell!)

8 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Most of the gaming shops - down our way Firestorm and Antics have it

I do apologise to both of you, I should have used GOOGLE and found their website myself. I have now found it - I must admit that I had never heard of them until today. I'm guessing that is the anti-shine matt varnish spray that you use.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I do apologise to both of you, I should have used GOOGLE and found their website myself. I have now found it - I must admit that I had never heard of them until today. I'm guessing that is the anti-shine matt varnish spray that you use.

Yes - Anti-Shine

Anti-Shine-Matt-Varnish---CP3003---1_120

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1