Dapol Announce New OO Gauge Functioning Water Tower

MGR Hooper!

Dapol announce new OO gauge "Functioning Water Tower"

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/main-forum/accessories-aa/gwr-water-tower/2864-introducing-our-new-water-tower-accessory

Pretty neat...something covered in HO scale, first time in the British Industry. Glad to see a few variations also in the first run. Sounds wonderful, though the voice recordings could improve.

• Like 2

I like the "random" speech comments on the animated version. I'm sure as they stand they'll have to be spoken by the BBC's Richard Baker in his narrative voice............................rather than what the original "anglo-saxon" version would probably sound like!  Water 'spilling' just doesn't sound right!.................it wouldn't do for my layout!!!

• Like 1

Who was it in the '70s presented a childrens' programme which included a purported flea circus? Was it Michael Bentine? Potty Time?

This product with invisible people moving things around reminds me of that :)

Not knocking the product - I'm sure it's fun - it's just the clip sent long-forgotten memories crashing happily back into my mind :)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

One obvious flaw - with water cranes the leather bag / pipe / hose has to actually go inside the tender / tank. This means if you cut it short enough to allow your motorised arm to swing over the filler it will look a bit silly when its not in use - but leave it long and your motorised arm will just be banging on the side of the loco / tender. then of course there is the little matter that locos are different sizes - so if you plan to have more than one type wanting water a shortened hose might leave a big gap between it and the tank / tender.

So all in all not terribly practical idea for a true model - although the gimmick factor will no doubt ensure healthy sales.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 2

An awful concept IMHO.

It's a 'play value' item. If it lets <10 year olds water the engine at stops, what's the harm?

Clearly there's a lot of the gimmick factor. I don't think it will appeal to a majority of >50 year old enthusiasts.

The BLI US version was probably a bit more 'realistic' in that the crane rotates in a vertical plane and there's no long hose.

Dapol is executing a business strategy of doing what others are not. At least there's no uproar about duplication here.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2